Newbie asks: How do i clean up an old tape deck? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie asks: How do i clean up an old tape deck?

mg196
06-19-2004, 09:41 PM
OK, I just picked up an old Sony TC-199SD for $2.50. I would like to integrate it into my system but want to clean it as well as I can beforehand. What products would be the best to use? should I remove the shell and clean out the interior, or just worry about the play/recording heads?

I will be replacing my more recent model Pioneer CT-W355R with the Sony.

mg196
07-15-2004, 07:39 PM
OK, I took Bobbo's advice and have done a thorough cleaning. The baby was pretty old and due to lack of use the motor was nearly frozen. However, a lot of help from my forefinger and constant spraying w/ "Clean Lube" has gotten the baby to Play & FFWD really well. The REWIND is a bit weak, but I can live with that for now. Here is my next hurdle:

The PAUSE button seems completely jammed. It wont even depress a fraction of an inch! That baby seems glued into position! Any suggestions? There are no signs of trauma to the unit...other than lack of use it appears to be in top condition.

Additionally, the lubricant I have been using is called Clean Lube, it dries pretty quickly leaving just a slight white residue. I know now (after reading AA posts) not to use any oil-based stuff like WD40. If I am using the wrong type of lubricant please tell me!