Harman-Kardon DVD 22 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harman-Kardon DVD 22

Rickderuler
06-19-2004, 07:34 PM
I recently purchased the Harman-Kardon DVD 22 because my old DVD player (Harman-Kardon DVD-5) was unable to play DVDs that were copied using DVD XCOPY (possibly due to incompatiblities with the discs themselves). I do make "archival" copies of DVDs that I have purchased for my own personal use. When I attempted to play my copied DVD on this player (using a DVD-R+ disc), the "parental lock" screen appeared, prompting me to enter a code even though I had not set up the player to use this feature. Puzzled at first, I then realized that Harman-Kardon must have installed a copy protection feature in this particular player that prevented me from playing the disc. Although some of the older movies that I had copied played fine, the newer ones would not play at all. I suspect that this copy protection feature may become a growing trend in future DVDs. I wanted to post this so that others would be aware of this.

Rickderuler
06-19-2004, 07:46 PM
BTW, if anyone has experienced anything similar, please let me know. I'm very interested in finding out if this is just an anomoly or a "DRM issue. Thank you.

avux04
06-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Hey, someone else who owns the DVD22, I've been having problems finding forum posts on this model. I recently bought one of these and am happy w/ it, picture and sound look perfect though you press a button then waitttt! I too play DVD+R and +RW movies but don't have your problem but then again I don't use "XCOPY". I haven't had any problems playing any disc formats, I would look at XCOPY as being your problem first, then try a different brand of DVDs or you may have a bad player.
Al

BTW, if anyone has experienced anything similar, please let me know. I'm very interested in finding out if this is just an anomoly or a "DRM issue. Thank you.

Rickderuler
06-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Hey, someone else who owns the DVD22, I've been having problems finding forum posts on this model. I recently bought one of these and am happy w/ it, picture and sound look perfect though you press a button then waitttt! I too play DVD+R and +RW movies but don't have your problem but then again I don't use "XCOPY". I haven't had any problems playing any disc formats, I would look at XCOPY as being your problem first, then try a different brand of DVDs or you may have a bad player.
Al
Hi avux04,
It appears that you and I are the only ones that own this product; at least for now. I agree that the picture and sound quality are excellent, which is the reason why I purchased it. I own a Harman Kardon AVR 7000 receiver and a DVD-5 DVD player. The reason why I bought the DVD 22 is because I've always been impressed with Harman International's products (i.e. JBL. Harman Kardon, Infinity, etc.). What product do you use to copy your DVDs? Perhaps using DVD Xcopy is the reason why I'm having these problems. I really do like the product but I can't see any reason why I should keep it if I can't playback any copied DVDs using Xcopy.Thank you for responding to my post.

Rickderuler
06-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Oh....by the way, there were 2 DVDs in particular that wouldn't play in the DVD 22: "Swat" and "Final Destination 2", both "New Line Cinema" entries. All the others played fine. I believe that this studio may be incorporating some sort of copy protection sceme that won't allow "copied" DVDs to play. Just a thought.

Slosh
06-25-2004, 05:56 AM
I haven't used any + discs yet but I believe the only difference between the + and - discs is the + format has provisions for more security. Perhaps the DVDs you backed-up have additional encoding to take advantage of this? Try burning them on a - disc.

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-45A and a Pioneer DV-353 myself so can't say anything about your H/K players.

Rickderuler
06-25-2004, 10:55 AM
I haven't used any + discs yet but I believe the only difference between the + and - discs is the + format has provisions for more security. Perhaps the DVDs you backed-up have additional encoding to take advantage of this? Try burning them on a - disc.

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-45A and a Pioneer DV-353 myself so can't say anything about your H/K players.
Hello Slosh,
Thank you for responding to my post. I did use both + and - DVDs but all with the same results. I did play them on a friend's player and they worked fine. I suspect that it may be the DVD player that's causing this.

avux04
06-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Rick,

I use a three step process to copy movies:
1: DVD decrypter can decrypt just the movie or the movie & menus.
http://www.dvddecrypter.com/download.asp

2: DVD2one will compress the decrypted files to fit on 1 dvd.
http://www.dvd2one.com/

3: Lastly, I use Nero to burn the movie onto a +rw .

Give it a try, theres very little to picking up how to use them.

Chow, Al.

Rickderuler
06-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Rick,

I use a three step process to copy movies:
1: DVD decrypter can decrypt just the movie or the movie & menus.
http://www.dvddecrypter.com/download.asp

2: DVD2one will compress the decrypted files to fit on 1 dvd.
http://www.dvd2one.com/

3: Lastly, I use Nero to burn the movie onto a +rw .

Give it a try, theres very little to picking up how to use them.

Chow, Al.
I appreciate the links Al. I'll try those programs and I'll post something here to let you know how it went.

Rickderuler
06-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Al,
I did what you suggested, I used DVD Decrypter for the copy protection and I used a nifty little product called DVD Shrink 3.1 to compress it and burn it. Guess what? It worked! It now plays on my Harman Kardon DVD22. I guess that confirms that there has to be a problem with XCopy and Harman Kardon. That's a shame though because I do like the convenience of having everything I need in one product. But, such is life, we can't have everything can we? Anyway, I appreciate the info.
Later, Rick