Hands down, your fav receiver for <$1000 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hands down, your fav receiver for <$1000

Klipschnut
06-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I've been out of the audio game for a few years due to a sudden move, and having to leave all my toys in storage. My last receiver kicked the bucket, so I'm in the market for a new unit. I'm now living in a medium-sized apartment with a fairly large living-room.

I live a little out of the way from the larger stereo and hifi shops, and I unfortunately don't have the time or resources to drive around auditioning units.

My system is comprised of older and newer Klipsch speakers, including the Forte II's for mains, the KSB 3.1's for surrounds, and I plan on purchasing the Academy or RC-7 center shortly after the receiver. In addition, I'm running a DIY sub system utilizing a pair of 4 ohm 12" drivers in a sealed cabinet, running on a Hafler DH-200 amp accompanied by the GAS Thalia preamp.

I listen to music in stereo and watch movies in surround close to 50/50. I'm not too concerned with practicality or looks (no ball and chain here), nor ease of use and bells and whistles. I'm simply looking for the best sounding receiver for under $1000 within reason (meaning it has at least some functionality for A/V switching and a good selection of setup options).

My speakers are all highly efficient, but I'd like something with some muscle behind it. I would prefer 7.1 capability for future upgrades, but I would sacrifice it for a much nicer 5.1 unit. I may even opt for separates before long, and use only the preamp/processor functions. I assume all the receivers in my price range have more than enough inputs for my sources, so that is a non-issue. I like to tweak settings constantly, so things like bass management and sound shaping are a must.

Some of the units I've been looking at are the Denon AVR-3805/3803, Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx, Yamaha RX-V2400, and the NAD T-763. All of these units seem to be well liked in the audio community, so I would probably be more than happy with any of of them, I'm just looking for opinions on which is best, especially from people who have compared units side by side.

I should also add that when I say under $1000, I'm thinking in terms of B-stock, auctions, online retailers, and that sort of thing. I'll shop around and compare for the lowest price, but if you find a sweet deal, post a link. If you would like me to clarify anything or if you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to stay up to date on my finds.

hershon
06-19-2004, 07:29 PM
JVC RX-DV31SL dvd/receiver (handles 500 watts) , 5 orb audio mod1 satellite speakers (www.orbaudio.com) and Acoustic Research ARS108PSB subwoofer, monster cable/wire Total on sale is around $1,000 and produces great sound and picture for both cd's and dvds. You can get the JVC receiver at a great price at Amazon.com or EBay, the subwoofer online between $150-$250, monster cable/wire EBAY and the Orb Mod 1 speakers direct from Orb Audio online- they're no sold in stores.

Klipschnut
06-22-2004, 07:08 PM
JVC RX-DV31SL dvd/receiver (handles 500 watts) , 5 orb audio mod1 satellite speakers (www.orbaudio.com) and Acoustic Research ARS108PSB subwoofer, monster cable/wire Total on sale is around $1,000 and produces great sound and picture for both cd's and dvds. You can get the JVC receiver at a great price at Amazon.com or EBay, the subwoofer online between $150-$250, monster cable/wire EBAY and the Orb Mod 1 speakers direct from Orb Audio online- they're no sold in stores.

First of all, this sounds like an advertisement. I've seen you post the same response to others in this forum. I'm looking for opinions, preferably ones from those with experience in audio, and not those who claim a receiver "handles 500 watts," nor those who would recommend JVC as a $1000 receiver choice.

Second, I'm not looking for an entire system. I explained in my post that I have everything but the receiver, and I'm sure that most here would strongly disagree with your choices in gear.

I appreciate your response, but I don't feel it answered my question.

richieb
06-22-2004, 07:59 PM
First of all, this sounds like an advertisement. I've seen you post the same response to others in this forum. I'm looking for opinions, preferably ones from those with experience in audio, and not those who claim a receiver "handles 500 watts," nor those who would recommend JVC as a $1000 receiver choice.

Second, I'm not looking for an entire system. I explained in my post that I have everything but the receiver, and I'm sure that most here would strongly disagree with your choices in gear.

I appreciate your response, but I don't feel it answered my question.

I am in the same boat. I have decided to spend my money on the Pioneer VSX-55txi. Most retailers online sell the unit for $900-$1000 although the MSRP is $1500. It is a very nice sounding receiver.

You could also look at the Yahama's like the RX-V3300 which is more powerful. You cannot go wrong with Yamaha as they are classy across the board.

I would actually steer clear of brands such as JVC. I do not consider them in the same league as the two recievers I mentioned above.

Bare in mind that the two receivers I posted were quite close to $1000, I figured you wanted the best for your money. There are some very nice receivers in the $500-$750 price bracket also :)

Hope this helps.

nick4433
06-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Klipschnut, if you can find a Pioneer VSX2012 then by all means go for it. I think it is a rebadged Pioneer Elite 45TX and offers very robust amplification and room EQ featires. I like the < $1000 receivers such as the Denons and Yamahas and Onkyos but feel they lack power when it comes more to DTS movies.
One awesome receiver would be the HK AVR7200 now being offered at a discount for much less than $1000 at onecall.com. Hope this helps buddy!

lynn2c
06-23-2004, 11:18 AM
I sure wouldn't count the denon 3805 out. I just got one of these and it sure has impressed me and can be had for less than $1,000. Excellent sound and features.
The manual sucks and the remote is cheezy, but that is the only two things I've found I haven't liked.

N. Abstentia
06-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Put the Nakamichi AV-10 on your list to consider. It's one of the best SOUNDING receviers ever created and should go for around $600 on the used market.

However, if you're looking for 7.1, SACD, and DVD-Audio this is not the unit for you. The Nak is a straight up no frills receiver designed for music reproduction. I has no fake DSP modes, no pretty lights, no flip down control panel. But it does have amazing sound quality.

I used one for years and loved it. The only reason I went from the Nak was because I needed more inputs and SACD/DVD-Audio support. If it simply had multi channel input for SACD I would still have it and would have just not gotten that extra stuff that I needed more inputs for :)

I also agree with the others about JVC. No thanks. Maybe if I was looking for a $139 amp, but not a $1000 amp.

topspeed
06-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Kudos on your mains. The Forte II's are fun speakers.

I'd stick w/ either the 3805, Yammie or Pioneer if only for their automatic parametric equilizers. I mean seriously, how cool is that? A self equilization feature would be my first priority in choosing an amp after sound quality.

Lynn2c, I thought the 3805 came with a new lcd touchscreen universal remote? Is that the one you are talking about because it honestly looked pretty cool?

lynn2c
06-24-2004, 05:19 AM
yes, they did come out with a fancy remote and at first I thought "this is cool". It functions ok, but just feels cheap. The backlighting only last 20 sec, which can get frustrating when trying to make changes and forget seeing it when your in a sunny room.
I ordered a Harmony universal anyway, with the Denon remote, I would still get calls in the middle of the day saying "I can't get any sound" or "The TV won't work". hehe

Klipschnut
07-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Well, here I am, still with nothing to drive my poor neglected speakers. I got a little crazy looking at Ebay and AudiogoN auctions, and started looking into separates, as you can see by my post the other day. I was just about to bid on a B&K Reference 30 pre/pro on Ebay for $850, but I decided with about 5 minutes left that I had better give myself more time to do research. I still watched the auction closely, and some guy bid $1025 in the last 10 seconds of the auction, so I wouldn't have snagged it anyway.

I've been looking at the Outlaw 950 pre/pro lately, and it seems like a great value, but they are hard to find used, and I can't quite afford the B-stock combos that they offer at outlawaudio.com.

I started thinking in more realistic terms, and I realized that I just want something to listen to right away. If I go for some hifi separate setup, it'll take me another month or two before it's completed, the amp and pre/pro will probably be totally mismatched, and who knows what I'll end up with, as there are so many brands and models out there. I also really need a new center speaker to complete my 5.1 setup. The BIC America center I've been using the past few years has served its purpose, but it just can't keep up with my Klipsch fronts and surrounds. Speakers have the most to do with how your system sounds, so it would be silly to have audiophile grade processing with a mediocre center speaker.

With my current budget, I just don't think I can swing a pre/pro, a 5 or 7 channel amp, AND a Klipsch center, so I think I've decided to buy a decent 7 channel receiver, and a new center, then add a separate amp when the funds become available. I may even decide to put the separate amp on hold for a while, and just let the receiver pull full duty.

Now I'm looking for a 7 channel receiver with all the current surround decoding, and plenty of setup options to use as a workhorse, until I find an amp that suits my tastes. After that I will let the receiver act as a pre/pro.

Since I'm going to be purchasing a center right away, and I don't need a massive wattage output, I'm looking at slightly less expensive units in the sub $600 category (Ebay prices, of course.)

My question is this: Out of the 3 main contenders, those being Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer, which, in your opinion, would serve as the best pre/pro? In other words, which has the highest quality signal decoding and sound processing?

I'm currently comparing Denon's AVR-3803, Yamaha's RX-V1400, and Pioneer's VSX-2012 (aka VSX-45TX).

I'll throw one more question out there, just for good measure. The auto EQ features that Pioneer, Yamaha, and now Denon, with their new 3805, are offering sound like great features, but is it possible to manually adjust all the settings on the 3803 to compensate, or does the 3805's auto EQ feature tweak settings that are unavailable on the 3803?

s dog
07-03-2004, 03:00 PM
I got the denon 4800 2 years ago for $999.00 it has been a real good receiver

topspeed
07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
My question is this: Out of the 3 main contenders, those being Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer, which, in your opinion, would serve as the best pre/pro? In other words, which has the highest quality signal decoding and sound processing?
The only thing the 3903 doesn't have is DLP2x and auto-eq. I think the Yammie and Pioneer actually have auto-eq, but don't quote me. Highest quality dsp's? The Denon uses excellent Burr-Brown DAC's, Yammie designs their own, and I have know idea what Pioneer uses. As for DSP modes, I can't stand the things so I have no opinion on which works best.

I'll throw one more question out there, just for good measure. The auto EQ features that Pioneer, Yamaha, and now Denon, with their new 3805, are offering sound like great features, but is it possible to manually adjust all the settings on the 3803 to compensate, or does the 3805's auto EQ feature tweak settings that are unavailable on the 3803? You can absolutely calibrate the 3803 manually. You simply need a SPL meter from Radio Shack and a calibration disc such as the AVIA or S&V offerings. You can use the pink noise from the 3803 but the calibration discs will do a more thorough job.

kexodusc
07-06-2004, 11:05 AM
My favorite receiver for under $1000? That's easy...the RX-V1400...why? Because I have one!
How's that for bias? :)

Actually when I bought my 1400 a few months back, the 2803 Denon was the closest thing in my budget...damn fine receiver in its own right, it didn't have the parametric EQ feature which ultimately sold me on the Yammie.
Now that I've used it, I've come to the realization that the Parametric EQ doesn't live up to all the hype that comes with it, though it does improve sound marginally. It does however set levels and delays better than me, my measuring tape, my SPL meter, and a S&V's test disc ever could. This I find does improve sound significantly.
Anyway, the 3803 looks like a heck of receiver too. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Klipschnut
07-06-2004, 05:22 PM
I went up to the Portland area for 4th of July, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to look for stores that carried the brands I'm comparing. I was pretty pressed for time, so I figured I'd just check out what Fry's had to offer. After a dissapointing walk through their theater rooms and a quick laugh at the Bose section booth, I walked through the receiver isle and took a look at the brands they carried. All they had available at the time were Yamaha, Harman, and Onkyo. I got about 2 seconds time to start looking at the units on display before a pushy sales guy walked up and tried to be my best friend. I talked with him for a few minutes. He had some experience with the various brands, but his technical knowledge was pretty limited, so he didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.

After my stealthy escape from the sales guy, I remembered that Magnolia Hifi was in the area, and although I had never visited their store, I had heard alot of good things about them. It took a while to find where they were located, and by the time I found them, they had already closed.

So now I'm back home with little more information than I left with. I've all but ruled out Yamaha's line, as my experience with them in the past and the opinion from others on the current models is that they are very bright, and a poor match to Klipsch, or any other horn loaded design.

Denon's 3803 looks great, but I think Pioneer's VSX-45tx or VSX-2012 would suit me better. They have some features that Denon's lacks, namely autoEQ, and they appear to have better build quality. I also wouldn't mind a change from the Denon sound, if for no other reason than to be different.

I've also found some other interesting receivers on auction since my return. I'm still doing research on the Marantz SR7300, which seems like a very nice unit. Another is the NAD T762, which is a little more expensive than the others, but shows very strong build and sound quality. Any opinions on these units or others would be much appreciated, as well as any on the receivers I am ruling out.

skeptic
07-06-2004, 05:36 PM
I would say my all time "hands down favorite receiver" by far would be....a two channel model.......

Marantz 2600. OK, I'd be just as happy with the 2550.

sy_lu
07-08-2004, 12:06 PM
VSX-2012 is on sale at Goodguys for $499.85. I got the unit over the July 4th weekend after my Denon 3300 died suddenly on me. I am happy with sound and you can check my review on unit in the review section. Overall a good bargin for the price.

DougD
07-09-2004, 12:34 PM
sy_lu, thanks for the heads-up on the VSX-2012 sale this past weekend. Goodguys gave me the same price just the other day after I mentioned the sale. Saved me some $. It was time to change
out the Denon I have had for the past 6 yrs.

Klipschnut
07-09-2004, 06:37 PM
I did more research, and shopped around some more online, and read more opinions and specifactions for A/V receivers. The problem with this is that each time I narrow my list down by scratching off a unit, I find 3 more receivers to add to it. Lol. I am quite the perfectionist, so I imagine I would shop around and compare models forever - or until I keeled over. There are so many movies out on DVD that I've been wanting to see, but I had to get my HT back up and running to enjoy the full experience. So after a brief period of slapping myself around, I woke up and decided to search through Ebay and bid on the first good deal on one of the receivers I was considering.

I'm still very interested in the VSX-45tx. I even started bidding on one on Ebay, but I hadn't quite made up my mind yet. I found some great deals on the NAD T762, but for as many rave reviews posted about it, there were as many posts detailing serious problems with the unit, and multiple trips to the factory. I realise that people are more likely to post critisizm than praise, but these issues still left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure it sounds amazing, but I'm not looking for something that's gonna break down on me in 8 months with no warranty. The newer T763 seems to have addressed most of the problems, and I thought I found the deal of a lifetime on AudiogoN for $600, but I called the guy up, only to find out that he unknowingly (or not) had a 762 in a 763 box. He said he'd take $500 for the 762, and pay the shipping, but I'm not sure I want to get myself into that. Then again, I could use another paperweight to replace my Denon AVR-1601. =)

The only models I've looked at for my price range that nobody seemed to have anything bad to say about was Harman/Kardon's line. I've always been impressed with their power reserve and their weight, but I haven't had any opportunities to listen to their newer models. I wasn't crazy about the asthetics of the units at first, but I think it's starting to grow on me. The AVR7200 seemed right up my alley. It's a big, heavy, muscular receiver, with plenty of features, and more power than my highly efficient speakers will ever demand. I don't think any of the other receivers on my menu can boast 75 amps. It also has great sound in both music and movie playback, or so I've heard from everyone I've talked to. The one thing it lacks that I might use that some of the other models I've been shopping for have is the auto room EQ feature. I think it's worth the sacrifice for all the other qualities it brings to the table. Besides, I'm the kinda guy that tweaks his system twelve times daily, so the automatic calibration would only be a starting point for me.

I found some pretty hot deals on the net, but I snagged the best one I've seen yet direct from Harmanaudio on ebay. It's a factory remanufactured unit, and I took it for $775, after shipping. It's possible that I would have been happier with another unit, but I figure I'll love my Harman, and I'm pretty confident it's not going to break down anytime soon. I'll post again once I get it home and set it up.

nick4433
07-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Klipschnut, congrats on the purchase of a wonderful receiver, the HK 7200. First and foremost about the 7200 not having the Auto Room EQ feature. While I was one of those that was overwhelmed by the YPAO initially, after many a tests on the YPAO and the Denon EQ and the MCACC, I have firmly concluded that the Room EQ feature might be slightly overrated IMHO.
The EQ does not calibrate the LFE frequencies so it looses its importance. I always found the need to tweak my system after the auto EQ was done. If you are good with a SPL meter then you should be fine. The 7200 was a HK "Flagship" receiver and anytime you can get a flagship for that price is definitely worth it. It has some serious muscle and offers everything but PL-IIx which is also overrated again IMHO.
So enjoy your new purchase and let us know how its going!

sandiegostone
03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I've been very happy with my Denon AVR-1082, it's not 7.1, but while I was searching on ebay for mine, I saw several 7.1's for sale, but they were out of my budget. My experience with Denon (my 3rd unit) is that the sound is very clean throughout 20-20,000Hz. If they do clip, it must be beyond the point when your ears start bleeding. Before digital I used to own McIntosh but that's way beyond the budget, just so you know my standards are quite high. Hope this post warrants further research.

I've been out of the audio game for a few years due to a sudden move, and having to leave all my toys in storage. My last receiver kicked the bucket, so I'm in the market for a new unit. I'm now living in a medium-sized apartment with a fairly large living-room.

I live a little out of the way from the larger stereo and hifi shops, and I unfortunately don't have the time or resources to drive around auditioning units.

My system is comprised of older and newer Klipsch speakers, including the Forte II's for mains, the KSB 3.1's for surrounds, and I plan on purchasing the Academy or RC-7 center shortly after the receiver. In addition, I'm running a DIY sub system utilizing a pair of 4 ohm 12" drivers in a sealed cabinet, running on a Hafler DH-200 amp accompanied by the GAS Thalia preamp.

I listen to music (http://forums.audioreview.com/newreply.php#) in stereo and watch movies in surround close to 50/50. I'm not too concerned with practicality or looks (no ball and chain here), nor ease of use and bells and whistles. I'm simply looking for the best sounding receiver for under $1000 within reason (meaning it has at least some functionality for A/V switching and a good selection of setup options).

My speakers are all highly efficient, but I'd like something with some muscle behind it. I would prefer 7.1 capability for future upgrades, but I would sacrifice it for a much nicer 5.1 unit. I may even opt for separates before long, and use only the preamp/processor functions. I assume all the receivers in my price range have more than enough inputs for my sources, so that is a non-issue. I like to tweak settings constantly, so things like bass management and sound shaping are a must.

Some of the units I've been looking at are the Denon AVR-3805/3803, Pioneer Elite VSX-45tx, Yamaha RX-V2400, and the NAD T-763. All of these units seem to be well liked in the audio community, so I would probably be more than happy with any of of them, I'm just looking for opinions on which is best, especially from people who have compared units side by side.

I should also add that when I say under $1000, I'm thinking in terms of B-stock, auctions, online retailers, and that sort of thing. I'll shop around and compare for the lowest price, but if you find a sweet deal, post a link. If you would like me to clarify anything or if you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to stay up to date on my finds.

htfan14
03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
One vote for Denon 3805 here! I have the 3802 and love it. Although the H/K 7200 kicks arse as well.

HiEdCOACH
06-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Hey All!

I'm writing from BFE Timbuk3 Thailand. I am the proud original owner of a 1977 system long dormant:

A Great American Sound GAS Thalia Integrated Pre-amp + 80 watt GAS Son of Ampzilla amp AND a killer pair of 8 ohm I.M. Fried speakers.

The set has not vibrated a note since 1991. Plus I'm now living in a 220v country...

Q1: What speaker wire should I use to connect the IMFrieds to a modern Samsung 5.1 Home Theater player?
Q2: How can I supply power to the GAS pre-amp & amp w/o blowing them up and or introducing distortion from whatever 110 transformer/converter I need to light em up?
Q3: How can I best feed MP3 files to the Thalia? Meaning, what is the best (lowest cost!) interface from the MP3 files on my PC to the AUX input on the Thalia? Clueless 1970's AudioDinosauer here! (P.S. I still try to "dial" my mobile!)

Hope this finds some kind guru!

Best wishes & God bless good sounding ****!

G!

auau
09-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Will appreciate a comment on this newer receiver from Nakamichi, RE-10

GMichael
09-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Is it "raise a thread from the dead" day?

kelsci
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I heard the Denon 3805 in a store many years back. I did not care for the unit in stereo sound but it was a delight playing surround sound movies; defintely first rate surround processing in this receiver.

My brother recently bought a Denon 3311 for under a grand. Very good sound overall and excellent surround processing. It has excellent video processing as well. The main thingy about this unit is the dynamics that you get with the movie tracks that tells me that the power amplifier system is pretty darn good for a receiver.

I bought a Sherwood 6095R some years back too. It was manufactured before DPL 2 was out. I did not care for its DPL processing but its surround processing was first rate. I understand the unit had a Yamaha chip. Though not a high powered receiver, its sound quality for D.D. and DTS was fine. It also worked well in plain stereo too giving something close to an audiophile grade sound. This unit did quite good in reviews.

I currently use a PIoneer VSX-516 which ran me about 90 dollars on E-bay refurbished. Its sound quality is good, its surround quality is good but not in the league with the Sherwood. It does have the DPL2 and DTS Neo features but I only found the DPL2 movie mode to give the correct imaging on 2 channel movies and cds. There is some goofy phasing going on in DPL2 music mode. The DTS Neo stuff is nothing to crow about.

recoveryone
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Is it "raise a thread from the dead" day?

I'm with you Michael, I open up this thread to see that it was started back in 06 or something.

Poultrygeist
09-07-2011, 04:04 AM
I have the recently released Marantz SR-6006. I enjoy it's direct "Pure" sound feature which bi-passes all the non-essential circuits and outputs a very tube like sound. The set up wizard takes only minutes and hard wiring it to the internet makes for trouble free high rez audio streaming.

winston
09-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by GMichael
Is it "raise a thread from the dead" day?:) oh man i've owned a few "But there's something about the Pioneer Elite Vsx- 94 that I love over all the others I've owned.

recoveryone, I have a question for you?? have up dated your Pioneer BDP-320 recently with the latest firmware? ...if you did, please give a heads up!!

I've downloaded the zip file name "BDP30A_V372.zip" from Pioneer's site, but when ever time I attempt to double click the file name, in order to burn it to a CD (it sends my Windows Vista into a (loop) which left me no choice but to restart or shut the Computer down) the BDP-320 is a well built unit, that has great sounds.

if anyone else have any idea what I'm dealing with here, please feel free to chip in.

bobsticks
09-10-2011, 05:54 PM
:) oh man i've owned a few "But there's something about the Pioneer Elite Vsx- 94 that I love over all the others I've owned.

recoveryone, I have a question for you?? have up dated your Pioneer BDP-320 recently with the latest firmware? ...if you did, please give a heads up!!

I've downloaded the zip file name "BDP30A_V372.zip" from Pioneer's site, but when ever time I attempt to double click the file name, in order to burn it to a CD (it sends my Windows Vista into a (loop) which left me no choice but to restart or shut the Computer down) the BDP-320 is a well built unit, that has great sounds.

if anyone else have any idea what I'm dealing with here, please feel free to chip in.

You have to extract the info using 7Zip (http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html). Download the free file from the site and run the setup wizard. Next, click on the icon and look to the upper left corner and hit "Extract". Choose the appropriate file and, viola...

Cheers,
sticks

winston
09-11-2011, 06:27 AM
You have to extract the info using 7Zip (http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html). Download the free file from the site and run the setup wizard. Next, click on the icon and look to the upper left corner and hit "Extract". Choose the appropriate file and, viola...

Cheers,
sticks
thanks Bro. sticks, the link works wonders!! now just name your "poison" Brewski,Cerveza,Barley pop,puke fuel, or loudmouth soup, the next one 's on me:lol: :yesnod:

thanks a bunch Sticks, (stay strong)

bobsticks
09-11-2011, 08:29 AM
thanks Bro. sticks, the link works wonders!! now just name your "poison" Brewski,Cerveza,Barley pop,puke fuel, or loudmouth soup, the next one 's on me:lol: :yesnod:

thanks a bunch Sticks, (stay strong)

Lolz, you're welcome Winston...glad to be of service. Next time I'm in Miami you can buy a round at your favorite watering hole and we'll have a good ol' time :p

s dog
09-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Just got this receiver for less than $400.00 DTSHD DDTRUEHD AUDYSSEY AUTO SETUP. I really like this receiver easy to use sounds great ready for blue ray hdmi hookup, got rid of a mess of wiring .It does have 7.1 but i only use 5.1 for blue ray.

jjp735i
09-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Hands down for me would be any of the new Yamaha Advantage line.

Just bought a RX-A810 and it is awlsum.

Just my opinion.

bobsticks
09-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Hands down for me would be any of the new Yamaha Advantage line.

Just bought a RX-A810 and it is awlsum.

Just my opinion.

Not just your opinion...I've read nothing but positives about the Aventage line and the ones I've heard have meritted the praise. I can't wait to get my hands on one for a in depth test drive.

GMichael
09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Not just your opinion...I've read nothing but positives about the Aventage line and the ones I've heard have meritted the praise. I can't wait to get my hands on one for a in depth test drive.

Come on over and I'll let you play with my RX-A3000.:thumbsup:

L.J.
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays :hand:

bobsticks
09-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Lol, thanks L.J....thanks alot..."Hello, Best Buy? Is there any way to get Red Bull out of a keyboard?"

GMichael
09-13-2011, 05:39 AM

That depends on circumstances. Sometimes I call it my R-0.:blush2:

bobsticks
09-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Dude, do I get to play with the big, pink egg?! I'm all over it!!

Actually, we do need to get another AR Conference set up but now is a bad time for me. I think I live in the only real estate market in the U.S. that isn't depressed. I've got a few irons in the fire. Soon though :biggrin5:

GMichael
09-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Dude, do I get to play with the big, pink egg?! I'm all over it!!

Actually, we do need to get another AR Conference set up but now is a bad time for me. I think I live in the only real estate market in the U.S. that isn't depressed. I've got a few irons in the fire. Soon though :biggrin5:

Yes, you can play with my big... pink..........
egg. (Get all over that)

There's a market that isn't depressed? Do you live in Ozz?

bobsticks
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Yes, you can play with my big... pink..........
egg. (Get all over that)

No. No, I don't think I will...:biggrin5:

There's a market that isn't depressed? Do you live in Ozz?

I live in Indianapolis. While I wouldn't describe this as Shangri-La we've weathered the economic downturn much better than much of the country.

rightaway
09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
i have used and love denon for years now

GMichael
09-14-2011, 04:57 AM
i have used and love denon for years now

Denon makes good receivers. In most cases you can't go wrong with one.

rightaway
09-20-2011, 04:19 AM
i have been looking into the denon 23 or 38 series. my biggest problem is that my speakers have different ohms, mains are 4 but other speakers are 6-8. i didnt know much about this until somebody told me about how it effects the sounds. why are speakers made at different ohms? i think it just to make things harder on me.