red dawn compatibility ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : red dawn compatibility ?

happyjack
06-19-2004, 03:49 AM
Please could someone advise:

Would Nordost Red Dawn interconnect work o.k. between Nad C542 cd player and Nad C372 amplifier ?

Absurd ?

Any reply greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

E-Stat
06-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Would Nordost Red Dawn interconnect work o.k. between Nad C542 cd player and Nad C372 amplifier ?
So long as it is not the balanced XLR version, yes. Nordost makes very fine cables indeed.

rw

happyjack
06-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. - So my concerns about it costing so much in the context of the total value is unfounded. - excellent :)

mtrycraft
06-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. - So my concerns about it costing so much in the context of the total value is unfounded. - excellent :)

No, it is not excellent. Cost is important factor if in deed one gets what they pay for. In audio, mostly not the case and with cables, rarely if ever.
So, you shoul dbe concerned about the ridiculous price of that cable for doing nothing more than other interconnects can, or at least they have not demonstrated that their price does offere more for sound.

happyjack
06-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Thanks for reply.

wiseburro
06-20-2004, 05:56 AM
What speakers are you using?

While Nordost does make some great cables the Red Dawn may be a bit much for your system. Perhaps the Solar Wind or Blue Heaven might be more in line.

Geoffcin
06-20-2004, 06:12 AM
Please could someone advise:

Absurd ?

Any reply greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Against the Red Dawn, and they are very similar. With a Classe 401 amp, Audio Research LS-25 preamp and Arcam Alpha 9 CD player driving Magnepan 3.6r's, we were able to hear a minimal difference. The SPM referance was better than both, as was the Quatrofil. I did not get a chance to listen to the Valhalla, but I expect that would be better still. All Nordost cables are very good, you will not go wrong with any of thier line.

happyjack
06-20-2004, 09:23 AM
I am using Rega Kytes - (very small listening room). - on foundation f.r.e.d. speaker stands. Kimber 4tc speaker cables - at moment i am using kimber pbj ultraplate attenuated interconnects.

Thanks for reply.

happyjack
06-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I recently purchased a Nad C542 Cd Player as a temporary replacement for my cheapo Sony s.a.c.d. player - and have become delighted with its no nonsense musicality, so have decided to keep it.

So now I'm going to replace my Mission Cyrus 3 with the Nad C372 amplifier.

I want to lavish the pairing with the best interconnect they can take.

wiseburro
06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I recently purchased a Nad C542 Cd Player as a temporary replacement for my cheapo Sony s.a.c.d. player - and have become delighted with its no nonsense musicality, so have decided to keep it.

So now I'm going to replace my Mission Cyrus 3 with the Nad C372 amplifier.

I want to lavish the pairing with the best interconnect they can take.

I think the Blue Heaven might be right up your alley. The Red Dawn can be very revealing almost to a fault, but it might mate quite well. Hopefully, you can give them both a listen.

E-Stat
06-20-2004, 01:17 PM
The Red Dawn can be very revealing almost to a fault, but it might mate quite well.
Curious response. I use JPS Labs Ultraconductor+ cable which are on a par with the higher end Nordost offerings. I have a reviewer friend who uses Valhalla throughout his several systems. I have yet to encounter a cable that was "revealing to a fault". I find that the most open and accurate cables lend a natural and airy response.

rw

wiseburro
06-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Curious response. I use JPS Labs Ultraconductor+ cable which are on a par with the higher end Nordost offerings. I have a reviewer friend who uses Valhalla throughout his several systems. I have yet to encounter a cable that was "revealing to a fault". I find that the most open and accurate cables lend a natural and airy response.

rw

I have heard Valhalla and think it is an excellent cable. I think Red Dawn it is a good cable, but with the Nad it may be a little too much of a good thing. By revealing to a fault I mean that they will definitely reveal weak links on the system. It may be a great match.