Friday's song of the day (and sad memorial) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday's song of the day (and sad memorial)

Davey
06-18-2004, 11:11 AM
I was putting together a new comp and one of my favorites on it is Lali Puna's "Left Handed" from the <i>Faking The Books</i> CD. Vintage synths pulsating over, under, and behind Valerie's slightly processed voice and that immediately recognizable Marcus Acher guitar noise tying it all together in his now typical, melodic, indie pop, Notwist fashion. Over completely too soon. Hit replay. Again.

R.I.P. Paul Johnson :(

nobody
06-18-2004, 11:42 AM
I'll go with Roast Fish and Cornbread by Lee Perry. The weather's warming up and this one sounds really nice sitting on the porch with something to smoke and a drink. I hate to turn on my AC because it's one of those loud window things right now, but some nice easy dub and/or reggae hits the spot for a hot lazy day.

Mr MidFi
06-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I'll chime in with a retro pick..."The Storm" by Big Country.

A moody mini-epic of strife and turmoil, this song gave a sense of gravity to Big Country's smash debut, The Crossing.

I was playing through the tracks on this disc the other day, trying to piece together a "Road Trip in Scotland" disc for my upcoming trip. I had forgotten what a powerful song this is, possibly because it has been overshadowed by the many memorable songs on that album. Sure, it all sounds a little dated now. But Stuart Adamson was a tremendous songwriting talent, who tragically took his own life. He should have heeded his own words, and stayed alive.

Dave_G
06-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Mee too like Big Country a lot. I finally got all of their titles on cd, it took a while, especially the obscure "nowhere like home" album.

Peace in Our Time would be appropriate for Paul Johnson's family, huh. I think that whole thing is disgusting. I cannot imagine what it would be like to hurt a person physically, much less cut their head off, and he didn't do anything...

Pretty sad.

Dave

Finch Platte
06-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Mee too like Big Country a lot. I finally got all of their titles on cd, it took a while, especially the obscure "nowhere like home" album.

Peace in Our Time would be appropriate for Paul Johnson's family, huh. I think that whole thing is disgusting. I cannot imagine what it would be like to hurt a person physically, much less cut their head off, and he didn't do anything...

Pretty sad.

Dave

Time for a BC comp, eh? It's gotta have Wonderland on it, tho.

Thanks- I'll be waiting by the mailbox. ;)

fp

Yours is on a slow boat.