The Magdeline Sisters... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Magdeline Sisters...

Worf101
06-18-2004, 06:04 AM
Whew... talk about depressing. Memo to the whole world, slavery is alive and well in various places and under various guises, I just never thought the Catholic church in Ireland would be part of it. Slave labor is exactly what you get when you force unwed mother's and women "suspected" of having loose morals, to work in laundries 6 days a week for no pay. I didn't want to see this film but the better half made me rent it. And the saddest fact of all was that the last of these places in Ireland closed down in 1997!!!!!! No that's not a misprint 1997. Sigh...

Da Worfster :confused:

filecat13
06-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Very grim indeed.

audiobill
06-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Usually I reside in the RaveRecs forums, but now that I have my hometheatre, I thought I'd give this a try.

Wow!! I saw MagSisters last night with my wife, too.
Amazing that such horrific things happened and that they were allowed to happen until 1996(7).
I wonder what attrocities institutions (church or otherwise) are commiting today??

The movie reminded me a bit of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Cheers,
audiobill

Worf101
06-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Usually I reside in the RaveRecs forums, but now that I have my hometheatre, I thought I'd give this a try.

Wow!! I saw MagSisters last night with my wife, too.
Amazing that such horrific things happened and that they were allowed to happen until 1996(7).
I wonder what attrocities institutions (church or otherwise) are commiting today??

The movie reminded me a bit of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Cheers,
audiobill

Wow indeed. I was so disturbed by this film I went to a very close friend who's a staunch Catholic and I asked him to find out how true this story was (even though there's documentary footage on the DVD) . Larry, my friend, is a born and raised Catholic but he's also a realist and I wanted his take. It took about a week and a half but he came back to me and said it was true and WORSE than depicted......

Sometimes man makes me weep....

Da Worfster :(