06-18-2004, 05:38 AM
My HT consists of the following....

Denon 1804 receiver
Paradigm CC-170 center channel
Paradigm Titans fronts
Paradigm Atoms rear
SVS 20-39PCi sub
older model Pioneer DVD player

It seems that I can't find a good adjustment for the tone that sounds good on every DVD. I am constantly adjusting tone for every DVD I watch. Sometimes the sound is too bright and sometimes it is muffled. Once tone changes are made it is pretty awesome. Is this common and something I'll just have to deal with or is there something I can do? I have calibrated the system with a SPL meter and calibration disk.

Worf101
06-18-2004, 05:50 AM
Such are the vagaries of DVD and CD recordings. No two are mastered the same. The "standards" are only guidelines that producers and sound engineers violate at will. Just gonna have to live with it I guess.

Da Worfster :(

Resident Loser
06-18-2004, 06:05 AM
...better gear can reveal how bad the source materials can be...get used to it!

jimHJJ(...be happy, don't worry...)

cam
06-18-2004, 07:15 PM
My HT consists of the following....

Denon 1804 receiver
Paradigm CC-170 center channel
Paradigm Titans fronts
Paradigm Atoms rear
SVS 20-39PCi sub
older model Pioneer DVD player

It seems that I can't find a good adjustment for the tone that sounds good on every DVD. I am constantly adjusting tone for every DVD I watch. Sometimes the sound is too bright and sometimes it is muffled. Once tone changes are made it is pretty awesome. Is this common and something I'll just have to deal with or is there something I can do? I have calibrated the system with a SPL meter and calibration disk.
I have the 1804 matched with the mon 7's, cc370, adp 370, and pw2200. I have found that playing with the tone control just buggers up everything. I recommend keeping all tone controls flat and put the cinema eq to on. That will gently bring the brightness down for all of your bright sounding dvd's. Now with the cinema eq on I have found that it does not dull out a dvd that was not bright to begin with. Alot of people will disagree with leaving the cinema eq on all the time but I have found after alot of system and room tweaking that that is the best happy medium that I can get. Make sure all speakers are set to small and try a crossover setting of 80 or 100 and see what sounds better.