Paging Davey. This is weird. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paging Davey. This is weird.

Swish
06-17-2004, 03:35 PM
I got an e-mail notice from Rave Recs that you responded to my recent thread about Over the Rhine, but when I clicked on the link to see what you typed, there was nothing there. Anyway, I just wondered how that could happen and, if indeed you did respond, what you had to say. Something insightful no doubt. :D

Swish Baby

tentoze
06-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I got an e-mail notice from Rave Recs that you responded to my recent thread about Over the Rhine, but when I clicked on the link to see what you typed, there was nothing there. Anyway, I just wondered how that could happen and, if indeed you did respond, what you had to say. Something insightful no doubt. :D

Swish Baby
I read it before it "disappeared", so it did exist for a while. It was a pretty good story, too. Lonesome Dave strikes again with the ole famous disappearing posts.......................

:p

Davey
06-18-2004, 07:04 AM
You didn't miss anything, it was just a silly story and, as usual, when I went back and read it later it sounded dumb so I deleted it. But I agree, nice album.

Swish
06-18-2004, 07:10 AM
You didn't miss anything, it was just a silly story and, as usual, when I went back and read it later it sounded dumb so I deleted it. But I agree, nice album.

so why change now? :D I was on the road most of the week, something that's becoming more common for me lately. I have limited time for Rave Recs and music, which really sucks the big one, so I suppose that's why I missed your comments. Anyway, I have to get me a life outside of my work. The summer seems to be flying by me and I've barely had time to enjoy it yet.

Regards,
Swish

Lonesome Dave
06-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Lonesome Dave strikes again with the ole famous disappearing posts.......................
Everyone needs to be famous for something, even if only for a short time and with only a handful of people :)

Hey, my acid-fried-folk loving friend, I've been listening a lot to that new Devendra Banhart album in the last care package you sent and it's pretty damn cool. He does have a very distinctive voice. Even a hint of that old Mungo Jerry band. Remember that guy? Except more folky than bluesy. I like the prodution a lot, not sure now how much I would like the lo-fi releases. What do you think? Do you like the earlier ones too?

Thanks a lot for the Willard Grant. Nice CD. Are you still really high on that Espers CD? I like those two songs on your Poll This comp, but can't say I love them. The first one doesn't leave much of an impression and I'm not particularly keen on the Renaissance angle to the sound or the softy vocals, but that Riding song is pretty cool once they get into the Sonic Youth part. Guess it might not be be quite for me, even though I do like the acid-fried-folk part. Or maybe I just like to say acid-fried-folk :)

tentoze
06-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey, my acid-fried-folk loving friend, I've been listening a lot to that new Devendra Banhart album in the last care package you sent and it's pretty damn cool. He does have a very distinctive voice. Even a hint of that old Mungo Jerry band. Remember that guy? Except more folky than bluesy. I like the prodution a lot, not sure now how much I would like the lo-fi releases. What do you think? Do you like the earlier ones too?

Thanks a lot for the Willard Grant. Nice CD. Are you still really high on that Espers CD? I like those two songs on your Poll This comp, but can't say I love them. The first one doesn't leave much of an impression and I'm not particularly keen on the Renaissance angle to the sound or the softy vocals, but that Riding song is pretty cool once they get into the Sonic Youth part. Guess it might not be be quite for me, even though I do like the acid-fried-folk part. Or maybe I just like to say acid-fried-folk :)
As for D. Banhart, I've heard Oh Me Oh My, and I do indeed like it, but to a lesser extent. Doesn't seem as fully realized. Very short snippets of song ideas, but even so, engaging in a quaint sort of way. It sounds generally like @ss, though. Rejoicing is much more a complete effort, IMO. Along those lines, Vetiver's S/T debut is a pretty cool musical cousin to Rejoicing. Banhart sings harmony, and wrote none of the songs, so it's less quirky. He plays some remarkable acoustic guitar as well.

Espers is still in fairly heavy rotation. What can I say- I like it. I wouldn't expect it to chart.....:rolleyes: The songs strike a simple, almost medieval, gong in my head, not too far detached from classic Pearls Before Swine. Then those screeching guitars come crashing down............hehe. Good stuff.