Advice Needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

Texasreefer
06-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Hey,
I have a system that was my dads in the early 90's except for the amp, and I am trying to get into some nicer stuff.
So where should I start? Should I build or buy?
The room that I am going to have the system in is about 14'/14', I am looking for a 2 channel system and willing to spend about $250 on each speaker and $300 on the amp.
Does anyone have any recomendations on where to buy or start my research?
Anything?

Best Regards,
Morgan

Resident Loser
06-17-2004, 09:55 AM
...we started with the speakers...after all it's what you actually "listen" to...they, and the type of music you primarily listen to and the volume you listen at, will dictate the power that will be required....there are others who might approach it differently, but the old way seems the most logical IMHO.

You say you are looking for a two-channel music system...are you looking for the abilty to expand to HT at some future time?...it might be something to consider now...

Building is a viable alternative, as long as you have the wherewithall and DIY skills...speakers can be problematic in this regard and unless you can actually hear what the finished product will sound like, we get to the prospect of the "pig-in-a-poke"...you might not like 'em...kits would be the way to go most likely, as building from scratch further complicates things...

And now for the $64 question...what do you have now? Perhaps some of it can be incorporated(even if only temporarily) in putting together a new system...simply getting new speakers could make a world of difference...

jimHJJ(...audio can be a step-by-step process...)

Texasreefer
06-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Right now my system is a Sony STR-DE185 amp, a Pioneer PD-M403 CD Changer, and 2-ADS L520 speakers. The only thing less than 10 years old is the amp if that says anything.(I bought it this year).
Also after some thinking it probobly would be smart to have the option to go to a HT system.

Resident Loser
06-17-2004, 10:54 AM
...the Sony puts out 100wpc which is probably sufficient powerwise...the ADS units currently sell as used models from around $40 on ebay to $400 at a vintage equipment site...go figure!

Some folks really seem to like these units. According to web sources they are two way acoustic suspension units w/8" woofers and what looks to be aprrox. 1.5in. dome tweeters, published specs were reported to be 26Hz-22kHz +/- 5db...although I tend to agree with what I read, that lower limit seems a bit optimistic...Do the speaker surrounds look to be in good shape? Supposedly the ADS units used butyl rubber surrounds, but there may also be some with foam ones...these can deteriorate over time affecting the acoustic suspension design parameters which rely on a sealed enclosure.

What gives you the bug to move along the line? Age of the units? Not your choice in gear? Newer is better? All reasonable reasons to to so...however, I'm curious...what about the sound do you find objectionable if anything? Have you tried re-locating the loudspeakers? This simple thing can dramatically change their sound.

There are "better" receivers and speakers on the market and for $800 you could get some newer stuff..."better" at that price-point may not be the "better" you might think it to be...and this is as good a way to start as any...

jimHJJ(...take note, the word better is in quotes for a reason...)

Texasreefer
06-21-2004, 08:51 AM
The surrounds look like they are made out of rubber and dont have to much wear on them, and
about the lower end of the sound I think they really might make it down that low.
Also the reason I want to change is because I have been hearing these stories of speakers that
sound like the vocalist is right in front of you and my neighbor just got some speakers that sound
like that.
Do you think that it is unreasonable for me to expect to find speakers that sound that good in my
price range.
Lastly I have tried moving the speakers but where is the optimal place to place loud speakers like
these?

Morgan

Figit090
07-22-2007, 01:42 PM
hi guys, i'm bringing a thread back from the DEAD...3 or so years old! but i just picked up a nice set of ADS L520 speakers and i'm wondering if both the original poster (if he still uses what he posted up earlier) and i could get some placement tips... i have only had them a day and i'm going to start re-arranging things and some tips would help me think about where to put stuff because its in my bedroom and i have a LOT of stuff in there...