Low-Level Input for Older Subwoofer (Infinity RS12) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Low-Level Input for Older Subwoofer (Infinity RS12)

powderboy
06-17-2004, 08:10 AM
A friend of mine just gave me an older (10 years old) Infinity RS12 subwoofer. It's been sitting in his closet for like 6 years, unused. It's in great shape and should work just fine, but there's a hitch.

Back in the day, they didn't set up subwoofers with a single input. Most had a L+R RCA input and line-level (speaker wire) inputs. I HATE having to run line-level inputs because then I have to run the wires to the sub, then from the sub to the satellites. It's a pain.

Anyway, I've got the sub connected from the receiver using a single subwoofer RCA cable. I tried it in either the L or R channel input, but it doesn't work either way. Now I guess I need to try the line-level inputs... Or, could I use a Y connector to join the L+R inputs to one signal?

Anyone know about the older subs and if there may be something I'm doing wrong?

I've got the sub enabled on my receiver and it's connected properly, I just don't get it. (sorry about the crappy picture... cell phone cameras aren't what they're cracked up to be)

piece-it pete
06-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Hmm...

It should work off of one or the other line level inputs.

Does it work off the speaker wire inputs?

Plugged in & turned on?
Volume turned up?
Turn the crossover up all the way, too.
Did you check the interconnect on something else?
Is there a fuse on the unit?
Are you sure you're plugging into the inputs (and not outputs)?

Boy, that sounds like about all the dumb things I'VE done (or not done!).

Did I miss anything?

Pete

powderboy
06-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I need to be more thorough in testing it. I've checked the power, made sure the output was right, but I did it pretty quickly. I may need to go through it with a fine-toothed comb and make sure I'm not doing something dumb.

It seems like it should work though... who knows since it's just been sitting around for that long. For some reason, Gremlins like to destroy things that sit for awhile.

We'll see...

Beckman
06-17-2004, 02:58 PM
It seems like it should work though... who knows since it's just been sitting around for that long. For some reason, Gremlins like to destroy things that sit for awhile.

We'll see...

Try using a preamp out in stead of the sub out. (Just to see if it is the sub or the receivers settings