Best AV Receiver for the Needs and Money [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best AV Receiver for the Needs and Money

andre32256
06-16-2004, 03:30 PM
I am looking to spend the maximum of $1,500 for a receiver. This would encompass a great number of receivers, including the Yamaha RX-Z1, Yamaha RXV2400, several Denons, Pioneer Elite and Onkyo models. All seem to have pros and cons. Plan to connect to:

Hardwired PC Network for PC Audio and Video -- RJ-45
HDTV Satellite
HDTV Projector -- BENQ
Progressive Scan DVD
NHT Speakers All Around

Agonizing over decision. Prefer Yamaha, have RXV995, but want the additional Surround capabilities 7.1 and power. Onkyo has the Rj-45 jack. The room is bigger than my last.

kexodusc
06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
With that kind of doh I'd look at NAD's T763 (I think) or something comparable too...and Harman Kardon.
I find NAD H/K, and Yamaha have the best sounding gear at that price level...Yamaha probably with a bit more features thrown in, the other two probably with more real-world power.
That's quite a good chunk of change for a receiver though. The new Yammies have 7.1 and tons of features...the 1400 and 2400 models even include built in parametric equalizing tools with their auto-setup and calibration feature, something that will become the standard in newer receivers.

What exactly are your need? You could get a heck of a receiver for half your budget and have money left over for a sweet power amp or new speakers or something.

andre32256
06-16-2004, 06:06 PM
With that kind of doh I'd look at NAD's T763 (I think) or something comparable too...and Harman Kardon.
I find NAD H/K, and Yamaha have the best sounding gear at that price level...Yamaha probably with a bit more features thrown in, the other two probably with more real-world power.
That's quite a good chunk of change for a receiver though. The new Yammies have 7.1 and tons of features...the 1400 and 2400 models even include built in parametric equalizing tools with their auto-setup and calibration feature, something that will become the standard in newer receivers.

What exactly are your need? You could get a heck of a receiver for half your budget and have money left over for a sweet power amp or new speakers or something.
Good points. In addition to clean sound and power, my key concern is connectivity PC network and Video. I probably need to take a closer look at the items you recommended. Thanks!

F1
06-17-2004, 05:43 AM
Good points. In addition to clean sound and power, my key concern is connectivity PC network and Video. I probably need to take a closer look at the items you recommended. Thanks!

You may also consider Onkyo TX-NR801 that has network connection.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR801&class=Receiver&p=i

Worf101
06-18-2004, 05:53 AM
You may also consider Onkyo TX-NR801 that has network connection.
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR801&class=Receiver&p=i

I've owned many Onkyo receivers and the 801 seems to do all you want. In addition to being versatile and powerful, it's also relatively easy to set up if you're a noob at such things. Also you can get a new 801 for about HALF your proposed budget if that means anything to you.

Da Worfster :o

drseid
07-02-2004, 05:37 AM
You may also want to look at the relatively new Marantz SR-7400. It sells for about $1000 or less, and it has a great feature set (7.1, Circle Surround, 105 watts X 7 channels, component video upconversion, etc.). The best thing about the receiver is its excellent remote control though... It has a good combination of learning capabilities, hard codes, and button layout. It is the first universal remote that I can use with all of my various components (LD player, DVD players, Web TV, VCR, HDTV, etc.) that is easy to setup, and use. It was a very good value for the $790 price I paid for it, IMO.

---Dave

mpm32
07-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Get the RXV-1400 and if it's not powerful enough for you get an outboard amp. I think you could do that for $1500.