Converting Car Sub into Home Sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Converting Car Sub into Home Sub

doe_73
12-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Does anyone have a website or know how to do this and can it be done. Since car subs are a lot less expensive this would be a better option for me. Any help is appreciated thanx Doe

highend64
12-02-2003, 03:59 AM
Yes you can but it would be alot cheaper if you went with a plate amp and a home sub. Go to partsexpress.com and look up Titanic MKII Subwoofer system.

doe_73
12-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Do you have this sub? which one? Is the 15 better then the 12 and by how much? It says only basic tools required so what tools would I need? Thanks for the suggestion im in looking into it Doe

highend64
12-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I do not have one but I am planning on building a DIY subwoofer kit and I consider this kit to be on my top choices. I don't know your listening preference or how big is your listening room. That will help alot.
You will probably just need a screwdirver and wirecutters.

doe_73
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
The room will be about 18 ft wide X 20 ft long. I like rock and roll and hip hop but I want a really loud sub to pi ss of my neighbors

highend64
12-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Judging by your preferences, I will go with a 15" Dayton Titanic MKII. Thanks

pelly3s
12-31-2003, 02:21 PM
The 15" Dayton will work great if you want it to be loud, but its more than just a loud sub it's extremely efficient and it is a very good sounding speaker. A friend of mine has the 12" one and it sound amazing. He built the box himself though.

Now if you want really loud go with some EVX-180's in horn loaded boxes and then a ton of power but that is just impracticle and expensive.

DaRealzG
01-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Yes, it can be done.

All you need to play car stereo at home is some kind of a power supply. The cheapest (also, most ghetto) way of "bringing" car stereo at home is to get a computer power supply, and connect the car amp to it. If you're interested in finding out more, post a reply, and I'll tell you how.

John

ppefan
02-05-2004, 03:46 PM
What are all the details for using a computer power supply to wire in an amp? Is it better then other methods using car batteries? Thanks

pelly3s
02-05-2004, 03:54 PM
I would never use a computer power supply for anything audio related, also I would never run a car amp in a house. just my opion though. the reasoning behind it makes no sense to me after the time and the money you could go and buy a good mono block to run the sub.

poneal
02-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I will let you know how my DIY MKII subwoofer project comes out. Look at my post under speakers called "DIY Subwoofer Update". The box is almost done so the next step, probably next weekend will be to test the sound. Cheers. Paul.

Floyder77
02-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi. I'm interested in doing this. I have a 12" car sub just sitting in my garage. If I could hook it up for home use, that would be great. Thanks.

DaRealzG
02-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I had not visited this site for a while. I just remembered what I said in the post #8 when I checked my junk-filled email account I haven't looked at for a long time. For those who are interested in using auto amplifier/stereo at home, please email me at darealzg@hotmail.com