Rat Shack analog SPL meter discontinued [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rat Shack analog SPL meter discontinued

Woochifer
12-01-2003, 08:46 PM
RS had a sale on their analog SPL meters a while ago. Little did we know that it was apparently a closeout sale since RS now only has the digital SPL meter listed on their website and at their stores. (It is a preference thing, but the digital meter doesn't seem to handle level fluctuations as well as the analog version) A SPL meter is about as vital a tool as there is for any home theatre system, and the Rat Shack analog meter is the most frequently cited and documented model out there.

So, if any of you still haven't gotten with the program, you might want to run down to your local Rat Shack and see if any of the analog meters are still in their inventory.

P.S. Sears apparently sells a Craftsman analog sound level meter as well for anyone who's looking for an alternative to the RS digital SPL meter.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03482297000&tab=specs#tablink

3db
12-02-2003, 08:18 AM
I noticed sears.com and I checked out sears.ca and off course, I didn't find one. Go figure

recoveryone
12-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Glad I picked up 1 over a year ago, The sales guy told me they were discontiuning the analog meter in favor of the high tech digital, but some things need not to change :)

yakkosmurf
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
They are probably discontinuing them because of low sales and not enough profit. I worked at RS off and on for 5 years, and I only sold one or two over that time. (And unlike most RS employees, I knew what they were used for). I picked up an analog one a number of years ago, and it's still working just fine. Used it this weekend after setting up my system in my new house.

Woochifer
12-02-2003, 11:57 AM
3db -

Not a Canuck, but I was in Montreal and Quebec City a few weeks ago and still got a pocketful of loonies. Does that count for something?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-02-2003, 01:14 PM
3db -

Not a Canuck, but I was in Montreal and Quebec City a few weeks ago and still got a pocketful of loonies. Does that count for something?

Wooch,

Why go all the way to Canada to pick up loonies? You have a ton of them in your own backyard(the bay area). The ones here are probably more looney than the ones in Canada!!! I just couldn't resist, sorry (snort snort)

Woochifer
12-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Wooch,

Why go all the way to Canada to pick up loonies? You have a ton of them in your own backyard(the bay area). The ones here are probably more looney than the ones in Canada!!! I just couldn't resist, sorry (snort snort)

T -

I'll call you tonite. Something tells me that BOTH of us have been working too much lately! First round's on me!

nick4433
12-02-2003, 04:21 PM
T -

I'll call you tonite. Something tells me that BOTH of us have been working too much lately! First round's on me!

So this is what my bruddas in NoCal are doing? Well at least someone's working and having fun!

Sir TT, you *&*(%$#@, I had warned you not to bring up my past to these new forums but you had to adverise it in your signature? I think the holes in your butt have completely healed which makes you forgetful?

Wooch, while on the topic of SPL meters, I have both the digital and Analog meters and I don't find any difference in readings done from either one of those. A side not is there is some fluctuations in the reading while using the internal test tones of a prepro or receiver but none when using Avia or VE tones.

agtpunx40
12-02-2003, 06:36 PM
this september (I think), it wasn't on the web site, or in stores near me, but if you asked them to get you one, they could order them from other stores I guess. I guess that was the last of em. Glad I got one while I could.