Tuesday Thread Anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Thread Anyone?

nobody
06-15-2004, 05:22 AM
I was on the road most of the week, so this is a rare CD only list from me. Listened to a bunch of stuff going back and forth between Michigan and St. Louis. Here goes...

<b>Dresden Dolls</b>
Well, I took the plunge on this one. I'm liking it a ton and have already listened to it a bunch of times. It's piano and drums almost exclusively, with very few embellishments. Very dynamic. Hard to say if I would recommend this to others as it is so different from pretty much everything else out there. It has a dramatic flair and is certainly not subtle. The Single, Girl Anachronism is a bit more focused than most of the material but still represents the album as a whole pretty well.

<b>This is Rockabilly Clash</b>
Modern rockabilly covers of Clash songs. Spotty as most tribute albums seem to be. Some fun stuff, but really probably best to grab a track or to for a comp or to throw in the changer on random. It gets a bit much all the way through as many of the covers are fairly mundane. When the bands pick up the tempo they just can't match the energy of the originals. The more laid back interpretations hold up better to my ears.

<b>The Ink Spots</b>
Compilation picked up in a bargain bin that has surprisingly excellent sound for these old tunes. The disc uses the CEDAR technology to get rid of noise and it is very effective, some of the best sound I've got on this type of thing.

<b>Tom Waits: Alice</b>
Holds up really well in his catalog. I much prefer this one to Blood Money, the other one he released on the same day. It's blend of old carnival music and Tom's signature quirky growl and musical experimentation make for a quietly effective album.

<b>The KLH: Chill Out</b>
If you like ambient stuff, this is a fantastic road album. It mixes natural sounds like trains heading down the tracks and other environmental noises with electronic and natural instruments flawlessly. When Elvis comes on through a slowed down steel guitar intro, it is a thing of beauty.

<b>OutKast: Aquemini</b>
If you liked the recent OutKast but haven't gone into their back catalog, get this one right away. A sprawling funk, hip hop masterpiece. Listening to this one makes me anxious to hear what these two do when they get back together again as promised. As good as the separate albums are, together these guys are amazing. I'll take this over Stankonia too, by the way.

<b>Johnny Cash: My Mother's Hymn Book</b>
Available either as part of the Unearthed box set or on its own. A collection of traditional church songs sparsely arranged by Johnny Cash. This thing can really be a deeply moving listen if you are a fan of the man in black.

<b>Chet Baker Sings</b>
Great collection of pop classics with Chet providing the horn and the voice. Hard to say if he plays or sings better. High pitched, smooth vocals with heart and a touch of desperation.

<b>ISAN: Meet Next Life</b>
Laid back electronic mood music with a touch of real instrumentation thrown in this time around. At first listen I much preferred there stuff like Lucky cat with it's all analog synth sound, but this one just keeps growing on me. A beautiful listen going down the road with the sun in your eyes.

<b>Big Boys: Fat Elvis</b>
Collection of their last three releases on one CD. These guys rock hard and are just great fun, as suggested by one of their signature songs, Fun, Fun, Fun. Great combination of Texas hardcore and funk. No other band I've heard can just tear you apart with some heavy hardcore one second and tear the roof off with a cover of Hollywood Swinging the next. A sadly underappreciated band in my opinion.

<b>Black Flag: Everything Went Black</b>
Great collection of pre-Rollins Black Flag, including tracks with Keith Morris, Chavo and Dez taking turns on vocals. Great rough stuff. These guys, with or without Rollins, were quite simply one of the most brutal hardcore bands around. Amazing stuff that all the kiddies need to listen to and remember that punk rock really did have a dangerous edge at one time. The last track is a collection of radio commercials that manage to amuse and offend in equal measure. (Well, OK, they don't offend me, but hey)

Also listened to a bunch of other stuff, including talked to death around here stuff like <i>Yankee Hotel Foxtrot</i>, <i>Yoshimi</i>, and <i>Someday</i>. Played a bunch of stuff off an MP3 disc I made up with about 100 songs off some vinyl from the 80s. Listened to a bit of classical stuff, mostly <i>Mozart</i> and <i>Brahms</i>. Played some early 90s electronic stuff like <i>The Orb</i> and <i>The Future Sound of London</i>. Plenty more, with all the time I spent in the car, but that's enough for now.

Dave_G
06-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Yes - Relayer Rhino Remaster - ya'll know how much I like Yes, but this album is probably my least favorite Yes. It's too "jazzy" and that cha-cha-cha biz ruins a lot of it for me. The "soon" part is of course stellar, but the overall "sound" and "style" of this one doesn't really float my boat.

Yes - Close to the Edge Rhino Remaster - way different from Relayer, this album is great.

Pendragon - Once upon a time in England - great neoprog.

Citizen Cain - Raising the Stones - obscure prog in the light of PG based Genesis. Good.

Citizen Cain - Playing Dead - another good one by these guys.

Pallas - Beat the Drum - this band gets better and better for me with every listen.

Rush - Hold your Fire - I like Rush, all of it, except the new one.

Split Enz - Time and Tide - beautiful album.

Plus I watched some Transatlantic dvd - I would have liked to seen that band.

Dave

dld
06-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Made a wedding reception CD from songs from the following albums (they requested classic rock and country):

Bob Seeger, Night Moves---Rock and Roll Never Forgets
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Best Of---Whats Yer Name
John Hiatt, Slow Turning---Tennesee Plates
Bruce Springsteen, 18 Songs---Pink Cadillac
Van Morrison, Moondance----Crazy Love
Wave On Wave Pat Green--Wave On Wave
The Houston Kid. Rodney Crowell-----I Walk The Line (Revisited)
Come On Come On. Mary Chapin Carpenter--Passionate Kisses
Urban Cowboy Soundtrack----Lookin For Love
Don't It Make You Wanna Dance. Rusty Wier---Don't It Make.....
Honeymoon in Vegas Soundtrack----Burning Love
Best Of Bachman Turner Overdrive---Roll On Down The Hiway
Car Wheels... Lucinda Williams---Lake Charles
Always On My Mind Willie Nelson---You Were Always....
Green River. Creedence Clearwater Revival--Green River
Best Of. ZZ Top---Tube Snake Boogie
Wildflowers Tom Petty---You Wreck Me
Guitar Town. Steve Earle---Guitar Town
Rose Of England Nick Lowe---Long Walk Back
Best Of Joe Cocker--You Are So Beautiful
Chicago II---Colour My World (Duhhhh)

Plus a few others:

Bob Dylan, Planet Waves
CCR, Bayou Country
Cowboy Junkies, One Soul Now (no opinion yet)

Dusty Chalk
06-15-2004, 06:20 AM
How can you not like that "cha-cha-cha" bit? It's so dada-ist. And the guitar duet with the keyboards on "Sound Chaser" is one of my favourite moments from Steve Howe. There's just something totally insane about his playing on that one. And I definitely love the jazziness of "Gates of Delirium", I was actually thinking of listing it in mad rhetorik's epic thread.

Me, been listening to:

- lots of Sibelius (Naxos boxset of symphonies)

- Real Tuesday Weld, I, Lucifer -- silly fun

- Lots of Curve, Collide, that sort of thing (groups that start with C)

Mike
06-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism (or something like that) anyway really like it a lot.

The Killers - Hot Fuss, indie rock pop stuff.

Ash - Meltdown, same as above.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Greatest Hits, a good comp but why only 66mins? cheapskate record companies if you are going to do a comp do it right.

The Doves - Lost Sides, a double CD full of B sides, demos and remixes all in all a pretty good listen. If you are a Doves fan it's nice to have.

Bread - Anthology 20 track compilation which could have been longer but includes all the essential stuff. Played this in full in the privacy of the car the other day a bit of a nostalgia trip which took me back to being a kid listening on my big sisters first proper stereo.

Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Morrisey - You Are The Quarry, a bit of a suprise this better than you would think

Joss Stone - Soul Sessions, great stuff for sat on the patio with a chilled beer

Comps by The Jam, Clash and Ian Dury

Cheers
Mike

Ex Lion Tamer
06-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Spent the weekend in Montreal, attended the F1 race, (interesting, if a little anti-climatic, it's a shame, but these days F1 qualifying is more entertaining than the race), and visited my favorite used vinyl shop...Beatnicks. The pickings were a little slim, but I did pick up three nice condition albums for $10.00 Canadian.

Tortoise Millions Now Leaving will Never Die Apparently this is a post-rock masterpiece, didn't like, on first listen, the epic side-long opening song, but side 2 was promising with very interesting bass and drum bits. I will keep listening to see if there are hidden treasures that reveal themselves only after repeated listenings.

Simple Minds Reel to Real Cacaphony Well this is quite the departure from The Breakfast Club, isn't it? Even quite different from the other Simple Minds album I have Empires & Dance. More quirky rhythms and time signatures, almost Devo-esque, in comparison to the dance-club beats of E&D.

Xymox Clan of Xymox Just a quick listen to this one, definitely from the Joy Division/New Order/Cure post-punk school, didn't seem to be anything more than a generic example of the genre...., but we'll see.

and other vinyl...

Damon & Naomi /w Ghost Just a gorgeous, gorgeous album. I've listened to this album 7 or 8 times since I bought it but not for a few months as my TT was out of commission. This listen bowled me over like this album never did before, some of the guitar is just amazing, and the singing sounds, at times nearly ethereal. A beautiful album that will get a lot of spins in the coming weeks.

Oliver Nelson The Blues & the Abstract Truth Not much to be said about this classic album, Eric Dolphy's soloing stands out, (especially his flute work).

Getz/Gilberto Another classic that needs no introduction from the likes of me.

Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd Jazz Samba Once you get started on those silky Brizilian rhythms, it's hard to stop.

Modest Mouse Good News For People Who Like Bad News
The Wrens The Meadowlands
Les Savy Fav Inches I think I'll start my search for all the 7" EPs that make up this great disc.

Troy
06-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Blue Man Group- Audio. A drum fest. Killer rythmic grooves.

Ultra lounge Series- Mondo Exotica. Schweet vintage lounge-core weirdness. Great Les Baxter tracks.

RPWL- Stock. So Pink, so Floyd.

Laika and the Cosmonauts- The Amazing Colossal Band. 90s Finnish surf tribute band. One of the best of the genre.

The Doors- LA Woman. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad it's borderline embarassing.

Porcupine Tree- Up the Downstair. LOVE it.

The Flaming Lips- the Soft Bulletin. I've really come around on this over the years. I still thing the production values (ie: the intentional addition of compression distortion and clipping) hamstring it.

Supergrass- In it for the $. Solid brit-pop.

Alam Parsons- Tales of Mystery. The CD re-release with allt eh Orson Welles dialogue. Spectacularly open sounding production.

BarryL has sent me about 20 CD-r's of all kindsa stuff. I've only scratched the surface. Didn't like the first Nektal album I heard- "Journey to the center of the Eye". Very dated.

tentoze
06-15-2004, 07:49 AM
New-to-me:

From the used bin on Saturday-
Vic Chesnutt, Left To His Own Devices- wonderfully lo-fi disk, mainly just Chesnutt & acoustic guitar recorded to a 4 track. Personal, engaging, and typically quirky tunes.

Damon & Naomi, More Sad Hits- I like everything I've heard from these folks a lot.

Still rotating heavily on Joe Strummer's Streetcore, the R. Thompson tribute Beat The Retreat, the most recent Mojave 3, the Modest Mouse, and many others.

Slosh's recent comp, very nice. In the mail this morning were two from our friend across the pond, Mike. Looking forward to them and thanks!

Jim Clark
06-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Hey Mike-grabbed both the Killers and Snow Patrol at Best Buy today. Only 2 tracks into the Killers and barring a sudden derailment it's going to be a keeper. BTW for Los Americanos, it's on sale this week for a paultry 6.99. Snow Patrol was only 9.99 so that was great although it's still in the shrink wrap so who knows if I'll like it.

Had in my mits-Felix Da Housecat (new), The Walkmen (new), Mission Of Burma (new) and Keane (also new). Not too sure of any recs from the group so I'll hold off until a trustworthy source says "dive in" or till I can listen online first. Any reports on any of those titles???

Actually listened to:

Notwist-Neon Golden (several spins at home and was digging it so much I packed it up in the van)

The Wrens-Meadowland

Hank Williams Jr-Major Moves

Wolfsheim-Spectators

X-Beyond And Back

Afro Celt Sound System Vol. 1

KVLR-S/T

Pink Floyd-The Final Cut. My personal PF fave.

An RPM comp-ahhg! can't think of the name.

A couple of the Retro discs which hadn't seen daylight for a while.

And the assorted misc. crud I listen to on a regular basis.

jc

Mike
06-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Hey Mike-grabbed both the Killers and Snow Patrol at Best Buy today. Only 2 tracks into the Killers and barring a sudden derailment it's going to be a keeper.

Keane (also new). Not too sure of any recs from the group so I'll hold off until a trustworthy source says "dive in" or till I can listen online first. Any reports on any of those titles???

Hey Jim about the Killers I thought you might like them, in fact I'm not sure now did I not send you a copy? maybe it's still in the mail I think it came out in the UK a week earlier than the US. Still it's a good listen.

As for Keane - personally I wouldn't bother it's pretty lightweight but if you want a copy let me know.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Clark
06-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Hey Jim about the Killers I thought you might like them, in fact I'm not sure now did I not send you a copy? maybe it's still in the mail I think it came out in the UK a week earlier than the US. Still it's a good listen.

As for Keane - personally I wouldn't bother it's pretty lightweight but if you want a copy let me know.

Cheers
Mike

Yep, love it after two thouroughly entertaining spins. I just got the US version today but if you sent a copy I can look forward to the bonus tracks that got left out here-thanks in advance.

Thanks also for the reply on Keane. I'd just seen the title on a few best of 2004 and didn't really know anything about it.

jc

Pat D
06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
[
Mostly LPs this week, as I just got a working turntable again, this time a Rega Planar 3, still with my Grace F9E cartridge. I’ve been waiting a long time to hear some of this stuff again.

Brahms, Klarintettquintett, Op. 115. Karl Leister, clarinet; Amadeus Quartet. DG 139 354. Very nice, relaxed performance.

Rimsky Korsakoff, Tsar Tsaltan Suite, May Night Overture, Russian Easter Festival Overture. Ansermet, L’Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. London Ace of Diamonds SDD 2129. The Tsar Tsaltan Suite is a delight.

Bach, The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues. E. Power Biggs on the 4 Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral at Freiburg. Columbia M 32933

Bach on Wood. Brian Slawson, percussion and arrangements. CBS RM 39704. Really cool disc, not quite all Bach arrangements. Stunning rendition of Handel’s Return of the Queen of Sheba.

Switched on Bach. Walter Carlos, Moog Synthesizer. CBS MS 7194. This is pre-Wendy.

Beethoven, Symphony No. 3 (Eroica). Ansermet, SRO. London STS 15069. I like the performance very much and the sound is wonderful.

Chopin, Etudes, Op. 10 and 25. Alfred Cortot, piano. EMI, Les gravures illustres U 2 061-00858 M. Recorded in 1933, very good sound for its age.

Tchaikovsky, Suite No. 4 for Orchestra (“Mozartiana“), from the complete set. Dorati, Philharmonia Orchestra. Mercury SRI 3-77008

Bjoerling in Opera. Jussi Bjoerling, tenor. RCA LM-2269; also AGMI-4806

Great Pianists of the Century Play Chopin (Cortot, Rubinstein, Gieseking, Arrau, Horowitz, Cherkassky, Malcuzynski, Lipatti, Anda). Seraphim 60207. Recording dates 1933 to 1959.

CDs

Michael Haydn, Symphonies nos. 19, 23, and 26. Harold Farberman, Bournemouth Sinfonietta. MMG MCD 10026. Michael was Franz Joseph’s younger brother.

Franz Joseph Haydn, Symphonies nos. 22, 29, and 61. Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550724

Schumann and Brahms, Piano Quintets. Jeno Jando, piano; Kodaly Qt. Naxos 8.550406

Brahms, Clarinet Quintet, String Quartet No. 3. Boris Rener, clarinet, Quatuor Ludwig. Naxos 8.554601. I prefer Leister and the Amadeus Qt. above for the Clarinet Quintet, although this is better recorded.

mad rhetorik
06-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Death: <b>The Sound Of Perseverence</b>
Megadeth: <b>Rust In Peace</b>
Dillinger Escape Plan: <b>Calculating Infinity</b>

Jar's <b>It's OK</b> comp:
Mostly excellent music for those of the metal persuasion, but throws in some great melodic tracks as well. I especially enjoy Cave-In's "Juggernaut," Vex Red's "The Closest," Pride & Glory's "Trouble Wine," and Katatonia's "Future Of Speech."

Jar's <b>Punisher</b> comp:
Lives up to its name and then some. It's a total bludgeoning (in a good way, of course). Favorites were tracks by The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Burnt By The Sun, Killing Joke, High On Fire, The Obsessed, and Mastodon, though the whole disc is pretty damn good actually.

Thanks Jar for going through the trouble of sending these comps out to me.

Also playing:

John Coltrane: <b>A Love Supreme</b>
Pink Floyd: <b>Animals</b>
Talking Heads: <b>Remain In Light</b>
The Pixies: <b>Surfer Rosa</b>
Nirvana: <b>In Utero</b>
Big Black comp

I dig Steve Albini's (anti)-production style, can't you tell? ; P

-Jar-
06-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks Jar for going through the trouble of sending these comps out to me.

I dig Steve Albini's (anti)-production style, can't you tell? ; P

NO PROBLEM-O. <b>It's <i>OK</i></b> (the title comes from the Acid Bath song in case you didn't notice) is almost my personal favorite of mine. I do think the melodic stuff that I mixed in (esp. the Masters of Reality, Pride & Glory and even the Incubus) really help to keep the interest.. sometimes you want to be bludgeoned a lot, sometimes you just want a little. But even the melodic toonz rock.. I don't think that comp left my player for a month after I made it.

I can't count how many Albini-recorded albums I own.. it's crazy.. back in the early 90's seemed, just about all my favorite bands recorded with him (Slint, Failure, Craw, Dazzling Killmen, Don Caballero, the Jesus Lizard, eventually Nirvana). I'll have to make a list sometime.

-jar

newtrix1
06-15-2004, 01:59 PM
<b>OutKast: Aquemini</b>
If you liked the recent OutKast but haven't gone into their back catalog, get this one right away. A sprawling funk, hip hop masterpiece. Listening to this one makes me anxious to hear what these two do when they get back together again as promised. As good as the separate albums are, together these guys are amazing. I'll take this over Stankonia too, by the way.

Nice call on Aquemini, I pulled it out for a listen after reading your post. I definitely enjoy their collaborative efforts too over the 2 "solo" discs. They are quite a prolific duo.

Stone
06-15-2004, 04:07 PM
I was in kind of a weird listening mood this past week:

Vinyl:

The Celibate Rifles – s/t

Flamin' Groovies – Supersnazz

Men At Work – Business As Usual

CDs:

Cursive – Domestica

Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation

Judas Priest – British Steel

!!! - [bonus disc from Louden Up Now]

Les Savy Fav – Inches

Beatles – Sgt. Pepper's

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult – I See Good Spirits and I See Bad Spirits

Mclusky – The Difference...

The M's – s/t

VA – Nuggets (Vol. 3)

Meat Puppets – Huevos

Billy Bragg – Workers Playtime

Pat D
06-15-2004, 04:44 PM
How can you not like that "cha-cha-cha" bit? It's so dada-ist. And the guitar duet with the keyboards on "Sound Chaser" is one of my favourite moments from Steve Howe. There's just something totally insane about his playing on that one. And I definitely love the jazziness of "Gates of Delirium", I was actually thinking of listing it in mad rhetorik's epic thread.

Me, been listening to:

- lots of Sibelius (Naxos boxset of symphonies)

- Real Tuesday Weld, I, Lucifer -- silly fun

- Lots of Curve, Collide, that sort of thing (groups that start with C)
Which Naxos box set, Dusty? The latest Naxos Catalogue I have lists two box sets of the Sibelius symphonies, one with Adrian Leaper and the more recent one with Petri Sakari and the Iceland Symphony Orchestra. I haven't heard either one, although I think I have seen one or two of the Sakari CDs in the library.

My favorite Sibelius symphonies are nos. 2 and 5, but they are all great works. What do you think of them?

I do have Sakari's recording of the very exciting Lemminkainen Suites, coupled with Finlandia and Karelia Suite. The ISO seems to be a very good orchestra and the performances are totally committed. The recordings are a little dark sounding but otherwise pretty good, a bit heavy in the deep bass.

Dusty Chalk
06-15-2004, 09:22 PM
The Sakari -- and yes, I am thoroughly enjoying them, but I've got this problem: I got into Sibelius all at once (other than Finlandia, which I "got into" a long time ago, thanks to von Karajan and the DG pairing with Peer Gynt), so I'm not at the point where I'm differentiating the symphonies one from another yet. But give me a few more listens. There's definitely some of my favourite ("majestic", "melodramatic", "ultra-romantic") classical music in there.

Mr MidFi
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey Mike-grabbed both the Killers and Snow Patrol at Best Buy today. Only 2 tracks into the Killers and barring a sudden derailment it's going to be a keeper. BTW for Los Americanos, it's on sale this week for a paultry 6.99. Snow Patrol was only 9.99 so that was great although it's still in the shrink wrap so who knows if I'll like it.

Had in my mits-Felix Da Housecat (new), The Walkmen (new), Mission Of Burma (new) and Keane (also new). Not too sure of any recs from the group so I'll hold off until a trustworthy source says "dive in" or till I can listen online first. Any reports on any of those titles???

Actually listened to:

Notwist-Neon Golden (several spins at home and was digging it so much I packed it up in the van)

The Wrens-Meadowland

Hank Williams Jr-Major Moves

Wolfsheim-Spectators

X-Beyond And Back

Afro Celt Sound System Vol. 1

KVLR-S/T

Pink Floyd-The Final Cut. My personal PF fave.

An RPM comp-ahhg! can't think of the name.

A couple of the Retro discs which hadn't seen daylight for a while.

And the assorted misc. crud I listen to on a regular basis.

jc

Hey, Jim, thanks again for your 2003 comp. I've played it a couple of times, and there are some things I'm definitely liking. It's high time I got that Wrens disc, fr'instance.

Did you receive that Wilco disc yet?

Jim Clark
06-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey, Jim, thanks again for your 2003 comp. I've played it a couple of times, and there are some things I'm definitely liking. It's high time I got that Wrens disc, fr'instance.

Did you receive that Wilco disc yet?

Actually I got it in the mail yesterday. It may have actually come Monday but I didn't check it thinking there wouldn't be any mail on Flag Day. I think there was a delivery based on how everything was crammed in there.

Haven't actually played it yet since I had to work last night and have had my hands tied most of the day today. I appreciate you sending it and look forward to hearing it tonight. Thanks.

With my comp I figured that most everyone had most of these toons since almost all were plagerized. This group can kick out some great toons.

jc

Pat D
06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
The Sakari -- and yes, I am thoroughly enjoying them, but I've got this problem: I got into Sibelius all at once (other than Finlandia, which I "got into" a long time ago, thanks to von Karajan and the DG pairing with Peer Gynt), so I'm not at the point where I'm differentiating the symphonies one from another yet. But give me a few more listens. There's definitely some of my favourite ("majestic", "melodramatic", "ultra-romantic") classical music in there.
I'm glad you like them. Sibelius is one of the great symphonists and has a lot to offer. The only one of his symphonies I don't particularly like is the 4th, not even Maazel's recordings. I will have to take a listen to some of the Sakari set. Sibelius also composed one of the greatest violin concertos.