bringing out the best in new speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bringing out the best in new speakers

bngsdad
06-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Is there a proper way to break in new speakers? If there is, what are the consequences if you do it the wrong way? I puchased the B&W 602S3s and the LCR600s several weeks ago and I know it could still sound better.

markw
06-15-2004, 03:24 AM
If you've been playing them for several weeks now and still "know" they should sound better, then perhaps your expectations exceeded the reality of their capabilities. Not an uncommon thing.

There's always the possibility of experimenting with speaker placement or the possibility that your amp can't cleanly support your listening levels.

bngsdad
06-15-2004, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the reply markw. 3 weeks is enough? Some say it usually takes 2 months to bring out the best. Is it true? If my B&Ws has reached it's peak, I have to start upgrading my receiver then.

This Guy
06-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Yeah, but speakers dont really break in, it's just your ears getting used to their sound. And I hate to break it to ya, but a new receiever isn't gona fix up the sound quality by a lot.
-Joey

topspeed
06-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah, but speakers dont really break in, it's just your ears getting used to their sound. And I hate to break it to ya, but a new receiever isn't gona fix up the sound quality by a lot.
-Joey

True, but what if he's running a mid-80's Sony or Fisher? It's conceivable that a new Yammie or Onkyo could make a sizeable difference, not the most cost effective, but still.

Follow Markw's advice and tweak your positioning along with addressing your room treatments or lack thereof. The 600's aren't that tough to drive but as with anything, better power will yield better results, which is why I like separates or good integrateds.

bngsdad
06-15-2004, 08:25 PM
True, but what if he's running a mid-80's Sony or Fisher? It's conceivable that a new Yammie or Onkyo could make a sizeable difference, not the most cost effective, but still.

Follow Markw's advice and tweak your positioning along with addressing your room treatments or lack thereof. The 600's aren't that tough to drive but as with anything, better power will yield better results, which is why I like separates or good integrateds.

What I'm using is the Onkyo TX-DS484, 55watts per channel. It's not enough for our living room (20x20sqft.) that's why I ordered the TX-SR601, 85watts per channel. Would there be enough power in it? You mentioned something about separates. Were you referring to amps/pre-amps? I'm not updated with Home Theater, please bear with me. If I take that option (amp/pre-amp) would it a cost lot more? I hope you could recommend a good "on a budget" combination that would sound better than the receiver earlier mentioned. Thanks in advance