Suggestions, thinking about getting some Primus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions, thinking about getting some Primus

Mr Peabody
06-14-2004, 09:33 PM
I play bass guitar, to some extent and have been told Claypool is great. I have been thinking about picking up an album. Any recommendations on which is best or to start with. I have to admit what little I have heard the singer's voice seems like it may take some getting used to.

I like a variety of music but a few things that may be similar that I listen to is Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Rob Zombie. Then I also like bands like Tool, Creed, Disturbed or POD. I am a big fan of funk. So is Primus for me?

Finch Platte
06-15-2004, 04:08 AM
You play bass, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and funk?

So is Primus for me?

Not yes, but hell yes!

How 'bout I make you a comp, and you decide for yourself which disc(s) to get, if any? As a bass player, you really should hear Primus.

PM me if interested.

fp

dean_martin
06-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Not a diehard Primus fan, but I've checked them out and it was worth it. "Frizzle Fry" was their first studio album and the first one I bought (on cassette many years ago which is worn out now). I loved Groundhog's Day and Harold of the Rocks. I think John the Fisherman was pretty good too. I saw them live on a Lalapalooza tour in New Orleans and Claypool is very entertaining in a quirky way. His bow-legged stance when playing is hilarious.

My son's high school drumline plays Jerry was a Racecar Driver (from Sailing the Seas of Cheese) as a cadence. It's their favorite.

I bought Tales from the Punch Bowl because it was on vinyl and listen to it occasionally. Take Finch up on his comp offer and check them out.

mad rhetorik
06-15-2004, 10:14 AM
For virtuoso bass playing, you should look into Jaco Pastorius' first solo album. It's one of the last great jazz/fusion albums released. It also stars Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter on keys and sax, respectively.

Also consider <b>A Show Of Hands</b> by Victor Wooten from Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. Excellent solo bass clinic.