Starting a MTM Center Channel project to match my SST8's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Starting a MTM Center Channel project to match my SST8's

kingdaddykeith
06-14-2004, 04:31 PM
I started last week on the first egg of two for a MTM center channel using the Scan-Speak 8530-K01 Shielded version, and the Vifa XT25 Tweeter. I plan to make this as configurable as possible, and do some listening tests with a vertical vs horizontal array, I'm hoping I will be able to fine so toe-in toe-out angle with the mids to help the horizontal dispersion issues that area problem with MTM's on their side. If I can’t make it work right or find an acceptable compromise then I'll just use a vertical array, but only if I have to, it'll take up more room then I can really give up. Anyway, it'll look odd like the rest of my speakers and as usual It will probably take 4-6 months to complete. I plan on turning the glued rings on a lathe to achieve a somewhat egg shape, although the ends will be more blunt, so it will probably end up looking more like bongo drums then my mains. Oh the enclosures will be sealed, and of course the tweeter will be in a separate solid oak enclosure and be adjustable and moveable for the early tests, I may leave some adjustability in the final design, but first I must find out if it works best on top or inline with the mid/woofers.

I'll post the usual picture as I progress for those who may be interested.

My DIY webpage (Nothing New)
http://www.geocities.com/kingdaddykeith/Kingdaddys_DIY_Projects.html?1078331

pelly3s
06-15-2004, 03:47 PM
kingdaddy - good luck with the project. the mains and sub look great.

kingdaddykeith
06-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Got the mid/woofer enclosures turned down today, this is about as baffle-less as I can do.

Should have a good smooth baffle diffraction.

poneal
06-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Your woodworking skills are amazing. Wish I had you as a neighbor!