Speaker advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker advice

Bartas
06-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi!

I thinking of buying a AV amp, and since i dont kown how these 2 sound, yet, im asking you guys, what are the best matching speakers for the following amps :

HarmanKardon 230
Cambridge Audio 540R ( anyone got this one? )

The front speakers will be something like the Monitor Audio Silver2.
Are these a good match ?

Thanks in advance

topspeed
06-13-2004, 11:07 PM
You've put the cart before the horse, friend. Find your speakers first and THEN pick proper amplification. What happens if you pick a receiver and then find out the speakers you love happen to be 4 ohm nominal with drops to 2 ohms and your receiver can't handle it? Speakers will make a FAR bigger difference in sound than amps will.

markw
06-14-2004, 04:02 AM
You've put the cart before the horse, friend. Find your speakers first and THEN pick proper amplification. What happens if you pick a receiver and then find out the speakers you love happen to be 4 ohm nominal with drops to 2 ohms and your receiver can't handle it? Speakers will make a FAR bigger difference in sound than amps will.

Obviously, this is one of them,

Bartas
06-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Obviously, this is one of them,

what i meant was how would you describe the sound of those two amps, too bright, or more on the laidback ???

rest, i will choose speakers that are easy to drive.

topspeed
06-14-2004, 07:40 AM
Again, pick your speakers first.

Differences in amps are subtle and wholey dependent on what you are playing them through. An aggressive, forward amp w/ Paradigm Monitors (which sound forward anyway) may sound neutral on Vandersteens (which are the epitome of laid back).