Where will the processing be done??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where will the processing be done???

Mr Peabody
06-12-2004, 04:08 PM
When I first went with 5.1 HT I bought my first DVD player a Sony 530 and I made sure it had the 6 analog outputs. Not for SACD or DVD-A, it wasn't going yet, but because I needed the decoding for 5.1 done in the player because my preamp was only 5.1 ready. I was told back then eventually I will not be able to find a DVD player with the 6 analog outs. Notice there weren't any add on 5.1 processors in the same manner that there were Pro Logic? So I eventually upgraded to a processor with digital processor built in. Not only because of what I have been told but I also wanted digital in from my satelite. I figured a nice processor would do a better job of processing than the cheezy satelite receivers. Well now that SACD and DVD-A has come along, all new DVD players have the 6 analog outs.

Here's the question, will we eventually have preamps that will decode everything digital or will the DVD players continue to do the audio formats or will both have that capability? I also notice that several companies are phasing out stand alone cd players for the universal players. Anyone have a crystal ball to see where the industry will lead the unsuspecting consumer next?

N. Abstentia
06-12-2004, 05:06 PM
You will never see preamps that decode everything, simply becuase the RIAA is worried sick about piracy. That's one reason why DVD-Audio and SACD does not work with the digital output.

NickWH
06-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Never say never. It's just a matter of time.

mtrycraft
06-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Never say never. It's just a matter of time.

While this may be ture for many things, :) audio may not be one of them. You think the studios will ever let you have access to the master tape? After all, that is what you would do if 5.1 audio has a digital out.
But, you could be right in a hundred years:) Todays music will be available :D

Mr Peabody
06-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I think you are probably right about the copy guard. Although it blows my mind that audio equipment manufacturers bare this cross alone while they either can't or don't do anything about computer copying. When I looked for a home CD recorder I found that I could only make one or two digital copies of the same disc where if I bought a computer CD burner I could burn as many digital copies as I wanted.

It is also interesting the difference between video and audio. I can record 5.1 onto my PVR. I wonder if I had a DVD recorder if I could copy from the PVR to DVD digitally. Also when HDTV gets rolling that will be 5.1. You can already tell by the few products on the market that they aren't going to stop home recording of video. As far as I know SACD and DVD-A are the only formats that won't allow a digital out. Won't this further hender SACD & DVD-A formats from growing?