Sound out of balance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound out of balance

Doc Adams
06-12-2004, 08:19 AM
We are using a Denon AVR 2803. We set it up in a classic 5.1 mode using the internal test tone and an analog sound meter. We sit in the middle, main front speakers to the left and right, center speaker in front of us, surround to the left and right rear, and the SW in a good spot for bass reproduction.

All channels were set up to produce 72 db from the listening position and they sound balanced when in the test tone mode. The problem is that most of the DVDs we watch, some satelite broadcats in DD 5.1, and some CDs all seem to present a heavy bias from the left when listening. IOW - it sounds like it is out of balace with the loudest sound coming from the left.

We have checked continuity, phase, and re-checked using the sound meter.

Could room accoustics do this in certain situations? Am I losing hearing on my right side? (My dogs don't talk to me as much as they used to on my right) Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Doc

Worf101
06-12-2004, 09:00 AM
but I had the exact same problem with my set up. No matter what set of speakers I put in my main 5.1 set up I had the same situation, the left main always seemed loudest. It was a combination of speaker placement and room physics/accoustics that were the culprits in my case. Going to a box design speaker, Platinum Studio 3, toe-in and recalibration seem to solved the problem for me. My 2-channel is now perfect dead on with a great soundstage and movies are right and tight. I think that you called your own poison, room accoustics. A short term solution is to calbrate by "ear" like a musician tuning his rig. Fiddle till it sounds "right" until you can find a permanent solution.

Da Worfster :o

hershon
06-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't know if this is any help as I may not be telling you what you already know, but when you play CD's do you have it either on "all 5 channel" or ProLogic Mode or do you have it on one of those idiotic (theater, hall, etc. modes). If you have it on All 5 Channel or Prologic mode chances are the sound will be balanced. I'd recommend as a test playing a mono recorded (probably from a 60's English group-if you need a title let me know and I'll post one) CD (if you don't have one, buy one) and then see if the sound isn't balanced. Also on DVD's there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on sound- some movies have incredible surround sound, other "dialogue" type movies have mainly front speaker sound.

mtrycraft
06-12-2004, 09:13 PM
We are using a Denon AVR 2803. We set it up in a classic 5.1 mode using the internal test tone and an analog sound meter. We sit in the middle, main front speakers to the left and right, center speaker in front of us, surround to the left and right rear, and the SW in a good spot for bass reproduction.

All channels were set up to produce 72 db from the listening position and they sound balanced when in the test tone mode. The problem is that most of the DVDs we watch, some satelite broadcats in DD 5.1, and some CDs all seem to present a heavy bias from the left when listening. IOW - it sounds like it is out of balace with the loudest sound coming from the left.

We have checked continuity, phase, and re-checked using the sound meter.

Could room accoustics do this in certain situations? Am I losing hearing on my right side? (My dogs don't talk to me as much as they used to on my right) Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Doc

You may want to invest in a Calibration DVD such as the Sound & Vision, or Avia, A guide to home Theater. This way you check the whole chain through from th eDVD player. Internal test tones may not be accurately set from reading S & V.

uncooked
06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
i used the thx optimizer in the finding nemo dvd extra's to do my speakers, and also my tv's picture settings in my house to.

its great, it does front right front left balance tests, front right and rear right, front left rear left. centre, front right, centre front left. a complete bass sweep that goes EXTREMELY deep. i thought my sub was going to explode. if youve got that dvd pull that out, or see if you can borrow it from someone. its a great way to tell.