witch is a better speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : witch is a better speaker

stevio
06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
i currently own paradigm monitor 5v2s and a cc350 centre and mini monitor rears with a ps 1000 sub-----i am switching brand and i cant figure out what to run either polk rti6 csi3 and fx rears or athena as-c1 for centre as well as 2 more for fronts and as r1for rears with either setup i will be running 2 velodyne cht 10 subs and a new yamaha htr 5760 receiver. i like the paradigms but am growing boared of them,and do not wish to go with them again, one part due to the fact the i work at future shop and the other part that i dont care for our local dealer for paradigm. is this a dumb choise and what set up is best? thanks for all the adive i may get -----Stevio-----

NickWH
06-10-2004, 04:53 PM
What you are talking about is not in upgrade. It's simply a change. Whether you like the change or not will be at your sole descretion. Nobody can outright say that the Polk's or Athena's will be "better" than the Paradigm Monitor series. Some may even say it's a downgrade...

If it were my money, and I knew I wanted speakers, I would want to make a clear upgrade, not a lateral move. Monitor Audio, B&W, KEF, Mission, Wharfedale, Energy, Jamo, etc., might be better places to start.

Also, are you sure you are bored with your speakers or is something else in your audio chain the cause of your dissatisfaction?

kexodusc
06-11-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm a big fan of the Athena's, but I've got to second NickWH, that they are definitely not an upgrade from the Monitor series. Lateral at best. They are definitely not worth trading your speakers for them straight up, and if you've got to pay tax on them you're behind the ball.
A new receiver can be extremely effective at introducing new life into a system, and the 5760 is a solid unit. What are you currently using?
Perhaps room acoustics or speaker placement is a problem in your system right now?
Just curious, on your current receiver, do you have the speakers set to "small" or "large"? Are your speaker levels calibrated with an SPL meter, delays set properly?
How large is your room? I certainly wouldn't recommend spending money on 2 subs (I've done that myself, 2 PW-2200's minimal improvements at best), and one velodyne-CHT isn't much better (if at all) over what you have now.
I have a feeling we might be able to help you fine-tune your existing system and save you alot of money. I would certainly take care of all the basics first, before overhauling your system.
Do you mostly listen to 2-channel stereo or multi-channel sources?

Odionic
06-11-2004, 07:59 AM
i currently own paradigm monitor 5v2s and a cc350 centre and mini monitor rears with a ps 1000 sub-----i am switching brand and i cant figure out what to run either polk rti6 csi3 and fx rears or athena as-c1 for centre as well as 2 more for fronts and as r1for rears with either setup i will be running 2 velodyne cht 10 subs and a new yamaha htr 5760 receiver. i like the paradigms but am growing boared of them,and do not wish to go with them again, one part due to the fact the i work at future shop and the other part that i dont care for our local dealer for paradigm. is this a dumb choise and what set up is best? thanks for all the adive i may get -----Stevio-----

I see that you have the upgrade bug. Whatever makes you happy is more important than saving money, provided that you live within your budget. I agree with the other posters that a clear upgrade is the way to go. Actually you already have a pretty robust sound system. What is it that you don't like about your present system?

RGA
06-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I can see wanting to move away from the Paradigms - so would I. However i'm not sure Polk is going to offer you the holy grail alternative you want.

I'd keep the paradigms until you can make a more substantial improvement - and that won't be found at Futureshop.