The ghettoest subwoofer system I've ever had [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The ghettoest subwoofer system I've ever had

Weister42
06-10-2004, 12:59 PM
So my subwoofer driver blew up and 2 months later my sub amp is leaking capacitor fluid, I don't have another amp to use so I ended up rigging this awesome setup.

A Pioneer Wal-Mart 100watt amp hooked up to a 4amp DC power supply, and a Cerwin-Vega super old-school el cheapo. The amp cuts out when the power supply overloads, so I get about 40 watts to the sub.

Doesn't even get loud enough to feel air coming out of the ports :(

kelsci
06-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Weister42; Perhaps a DC power supply like the one you are using which usually are made to output three or 4 amps is not the answer. Do you think it might be possible to use a high current AUTOMOBILE BATTERY CHARGER to power that amplifier? The only thing I can think of that might make this impractical is whether such a charger would output HUM., but it might be worth a try.

Weister42
06-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Weister42; Perhaps a DC power supply like the one you are using which usually are made to output three or 4 amps is not the answer. Do you think it might be possible to use a high current AUTOMOBILE BATTERY CHARGER to power that amplifier? The only thing I can think of that might make this impractical is whether such a charger would output HUM., but it might be worth a try.

Well see, I don't have a battery charger either :(

Since this is only going to be temporary, I don't really want to try to make this setup any better by spending more money. The only thing is that I don't know how long I'll have to use this.......