DVD Lobby and the Sony CX777ES [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Lobby and the Sony CX777ES

kingdaddykeith
06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
DVD Lobby

I have my Sony CX777ES DVD/SACD changer hooked up (via 232) to my computer with my entire collection of DVD movies, SACD and DTS 5.1 discs. This has been the best addition I have done since changing my processor to a Halo C2. Double click on a any jacket cover and, instant movie or music.

kingdaddykeith
06-13-2004, 07:14 AM
I've never seen so many threads with 0 replies, I think this place has one foot on a banana peel, the others in the grave. This used to be a real happening place when I started here in 99.

N. Abstentia
06-13-2004, 11:31 AM
That is pretty cool, I like it.

But what do you think of that Porcupine Tree DVD-Audio disc? Personally I was very much let down with it after I've been listening to the regular CD for over a year. To me the DVD-Audio version lost all dynamics and air and sounds very compressed. What do you think?

kingdaddykeith
06-13-2004, 01:04 PM
I love the disc, I only listen to the DTS 5.1 track though, my Sony will not play DVD-A. I still like Stupid Dream and Light bulb Sun better though, wish they would make a Hi-Rez version of those.

N. Abstentia
06-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Do you have the regular CD version to compare it to?

kingdaddykeith
06-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, and I much prefer the DTS 5.1, everything is more homogenous, and the bass is better balanced.

Jim Clark
06-14-2004, 05:38 AM
I've never seen so many threads with 0 replies, I think this place has one foot on a banana peel, the others in the grave. This used to be a real happening place when I started here in 99.

Hehe, sorry didn't know you were looking for replies. The Wow! factor is there but I don't know how practical that's going to be most folks. To start with most PCs are notoriously noisy and while it can be lessened to some degree I've never seen a silent one. I can't see where the introduction of so much noise is going to be a great thing for the listening experience. With your tinkering/building skills you have perhaps found an ideal solution but odds are pretty good that I won't be able to build it.

Never been a big fan of changers either, they simply can't support my listening style (capacity issues) rendering any convenience issues mute. Throw in the lack of a truly universal player and the advantages of a similar set up just don't add up for me.

jc

kingdaddykeith
06-14-2004, 06:40 AM
That’s true, a changer is not for everyone, but i think they get an unfair shake, there is no degradation in sound or picture quality, just a myth, and these can be gained together so unless you own 2000 DVD or more it's still IMO worth the money. My computer like most is not in the living room where my system is, so noise in not an issue.

I can access any movie or SACD in seconds and sort them by thumbnail, alphabet, genre, most watched, and 4 or 5 more. Also having all that space cleared up really helps. I have all my media in 2 400 disc changers, and wouldn’t have it any other way. All my CD’s are in a dedicated changer and I have my Pronto configured with SuperNudeList and a few tricks that makes my CD changer work like a real jukebox, with on the fly song adding capabilities and 3 savable play lists of up to 32 tracks or discs.