main speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : main speakers

madmax1
06-09-2004, 05:10 PM
ok so ive decided to go with bookshelf mains for my HT,i mean my wife says it would be better :( But im sure i can get good sound from them?? My room is 20x15, yamaha 1300 receiver. I can only afford the mains for now, only have a budget of $400.00 to $450.00 for them. So i was gonna go look at the local audio store at the Klipsh RB-25, B&W DM601 S3 Will these work with my room size? I watch 95% movies 5% music. are there better speakers for the same price?

NickWH
06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Given your budget, your room size, and your preference for home theater, I don't think you can do better than this:

Athena Audition AS-F2 - $200 OFF (http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Audition%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair)

Take advantage of the sale, and pickup the matching center and surrounds when you have the scratch.

madmax1
06-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Given your budget, your room size, and your preference for home theater, I don't think you can do better than this:

Athena Audition AS-F2 - $200 OFF (http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Audition%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair)

Take advantage of the sale, and pickup the matching center and surrounds when you have the scratch.

I wish i could, but my wife does not want tower speakers. Only bookshelf

RGA
06-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Firstly I heard those Athena's at Futureshop - you're WAY better off IMO with the standmounts you've already mentioned. I would however try if you can to buy the DM 602S3 over the 601.

Since it's mostly going to be home theater the sub is oging to handle the bulk of the bass anyway - but the 602S3 has better bass response than most floorstanders for the same price. it's B&W's bread and butter speaker - and it is a good music maker too. Remember movies have music too.

Klipsch isn't too shabby either but you have to make sure you like their horns.

NickWH
06-09-2004, 07:33 PM
First of all, the DM602S3's are $150 over his budget. Second of all, does this budget include the stands? If not, how much are you going to spend on stands? Plan on at least $80. Third, the Yamaha receiver is not really going to do the B&W's justic anyway. He's much better off with four 8-inch woofers for his HT, setting the front crossovers to "large" on the receiver, and suddenly a subwoofer becomes optional. Sell that to your wife. Tower speakers take up the same amount of room as standmounts. Have kids? Have a cat? You are better off with towers.

This Guy
06-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Just cause the speakers have have a total of four 8" woofers doesn't mean it will have the umph, dB level, or have the same extension of any decent sub $350 and up. If you set the amp to large on these speakers, the amp will clip MUCH faster, therefore reducing your listening volume. Also, that is a lot of stress to put on a pair of 8" woofers trying to handle 0-3000 or so hz. Do you think the midrange will sound real nice when the woofers are reaching their excursion limits? I don't think so. Max, you'll be fine with standmount, $80 or a little bit more will ge you a decent, sand fillable stand that will likely be heavier than any floorstander in your budget.

-Joey

Mark111867
06-10-2004, 05:20 AM
I have a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M-80's which I am happy with. They are $399 delivered with a 45 day trial period. I have them paired up with a Yamaha receiver and it sounds nice IMO. Just another option.

Bryan
06-10-2004, 06:24 AM
If you decide to go used you may save some money and get better speakers. Just something for you to keep in mind. I would advise listening to the Klipsch for an extended period of time to see if you get ear fatigue. Another thing to look into would be factory direct speakers (Magnepan, nOrh, Rocket, HSU, etc.) though see if anyone in your area will let you audition them.

3db
06-11-2004, 07:33 AM
I think these would be the ideal speaker for you. They deliver quite the full range (with excpetion of really deep bass) at quite loud volume levels. There imaging is simply amazing and their highs are crystal clear without sounding bright. Very solid value for the money. Give em a try. You won't be disappointed