First Home Audio System. . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First Home Audio System. . .

trevclem
06-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Alright. . .I want to build a system! I am pretty sure I want to purchase a Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver from etronics.com for $350 ($200 under Yamaha's suggested price and $150 under the major retailer I would go to) Anyway- - -
I have read few reviews on the model, can anyone offer advice or comments on the product or etronics.com? I'm a picky music listener (I'm pretty demanding with how it sounds) and also love high quality surround sound in my movies. . .I know, I know, I'm looking for the best of two worlds.
Assuming this receiver is a good deal, and the model is good compared to other brands, lets also talk speakers.
I am on a pretty small startup budget, so I want to spend around $400-$500 on a good receiver and then $100-200 on a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker system. I have some speakers from my current system I can use to upgrade to a 7.1 (I have 2 KLH Bookshelf speakers with 6 1/2" woofers and 3" tweeters). Best Buy seems to have a good deal on KLH Plat-6 speakers this week. I just want to get the biggest bang for my buck. . .I will slowly upgrade my speakers over time. I just need the best I can afford to utilize surround sound!
FYI. . I am a college student, so I'm budgeting $600 or so to this system and will upgrade speakers when I can.

I forgot to mention that I am curious about some of the technology in the receiver, the mic and auto setup. . .does it really work well?

Thank you!!!
Feedback is really appreciated, especially if you own either of these products and can attest to their features and quality!
Trevor C

trevclem
06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
No opinions? I'm bummed, i'll seriously take ANY thoughts or advice!
tc

uncooked
06-09-2004, 08:21 PM
well i think the yamaha is a great sounding reciever.

for speakers just go out and listen to all of them within your budget and buy em !

Dale M
06-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi
Seems like alot of people like Yamaha receivers on here and I would think thats for a good reason, I myself have a HK 225 and its only used for watching movies and its just a 5.1 system but I love it, So good luck with whatever you choose But Id be sure to have a good
listen to whatever your about to buy

This Guy
06-09-2004, 08:39 PM
NO NO NO! $350 on a receiver and 100-200 on the speakers? Switch those two around, and you'll get a better sounding system, but with that little amount of money I don't know. You could get that Yamaha that you were looking at, but buy just two speakers with that $200 you'll have left and pices together with the rest of the speakers as you get more money. No matter how good of a receiever you have, it won't make 6 speakers with the total price of under $200 sound any good at all.

-joey

trevclem
06-09-2004, 08:41 PM
What is impedance? what should I be looking for? I commonly see 6 or 8 ohms, what is the difference, and what is the reasoning for the different types?
THanks,
tc

uncooked
06-09-2004, 08:47 PM
the yammy can handle either 6 or 8 ohm. doesnt matter. 8 is the most common so thats most likely what you will be getting with the price range you have in mind. "not saying 6 ohms are better" just that 8 ohm is most common in low priced speakers. also if you run 8 ohm speakers you can have front a and b running at the same time on the yammy, if that is important to you, it is to me. it cant handle 6 ohm when its driving to sets at the same time off the same internal amp.

im happy with my yamaha though.