Looking for speakers on a budget [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for speakers on a budget

JWill
12-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of buying a new home that needs several repairs, so my budget is limited. I would like to spend no more than $400 on speakers. I currently have Yamaha speakers (purchased at Best Buy) and a Yamaha powered sub (YST-SW150) with two 8" woofers. They are powered by a Sony 885 receiver that I purchased about 3 years ago. The room is large and open and I will need to mount the rear speakers on the wall or ceiling. I am willing to keep my sub for now, but the other speakers must go, they sound like crap. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

John

recoveryone
12-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of buying a new home that needs several repairs, so my budget is limited. I would like to spend no more than $400 on speakers. I currently have Yamaha speakers (purchased at Best Buy) and a Yamaha powered sub (YST-SW150) with two 8" woofers. They are powered by a Sony 885 receiver that I purchased about 3 years ago. The room is large and open and I will need to mount the rear speakers on the wall or ceiling. I am willing to keep my sub for now, but the other speakers must go, they sound like crap. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Check Ebay for these (Optimus LX5) they are the best for the money (check the reviews on this site and others) They go for about 50-80 a pair on Ebay. Then spend some cash on a good center, but use these as fronts and rears. You won't regret it. I use the Pro X77's, but wish I could have gotten a set of LX5's

Bryan
12-05-2003, 06:04 AM
The room is "large and open". To me that is where your problem lies. You will want a much higher efficiency speaker, such as something from Klipsch or Cerwin Vega. What size room are we talking about specifically here with what size openings?

htjunkie
12-05-2003, 07:09 AM
The room is "large and open". To me that is where your problem lies. You will want a much higher efficiency speaker, such as something from Klipsch or Cerwin Vega. What size room are we talking about specifically here with what size openings? Let me tell you.........for a big room, you can't beat Cerwin Vega. I run a pair of RE-30's and have volume to spare. Good Luck....Johnny