inexpensive subwoofer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive subwoofer?

Mark
06-09-2004, 06:44 AM
I realize I may be asking the impossible, and that compromise is always involved, but hoping I might be able to get some opinions on an inexpensive subwoofer.

Use will be 85% movies, TV and 15% music.

Room is big...28' by 14' with almost 8' ceilings.

This might be the tough part....like to keep budget to $300 or so.

As a test to see if we liked the HT thing, we bought the AR HC-4 speaker package...comes with an 8" 100W sub. Biggest issue is that there is noticeable distortion on some intense scenes, for example from Lord of the Rings. Not sure if power or cone size would be the biggest issues.

Options that I have found so far....older model, but new AR AS300, 300W Carver Amp with a 12" driver.

AR ps1212...250W AMP and 12" driver with 12" passive radiator as well.

Velodyne CHT-12.

Any other suggestions, or picks between these options?

Thanks,

mark

This Guy
06-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Could you do DIY? You could make one kick ass sub for under $300. Go to partsexpress.com , get the Dayton 15" Quatro sub, 250 watt plate amp, and build yourself/or buy a 3 cubic foot sealed box. Go on those forums and ask for a little help if you need it, they really know what they're talking about. I have no opinion on the subs you just mentioned.

-Joey

Bryan
06-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Look for a used sub, such as an Adire Audio Rava or HSU VTF-2. Perhaps you may find a deal like I did with a VMPS Large Subwoofer for a steal of a price. If you have something other than your primary receiver to power it with, a used SVS cylinder sub or other passive subwoofer would be fantastic. If you can squeeze it, I believe there is a B-Stock UFW-10 at AV123.com right now that you may be able to have for $390 plus shipping.

hershon
06-09-2004, 09:15 PM
You can get Accoustic Research Service Subwoofer ARS 108 for under $150 if you browse online or check off EBAY. These retailed for alot more and sound great with my Orb Audio Mod 1 speakers.