Denon DVD2900 & Yamaha RXV1400rds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon DVD2900 & Yamaha RXV1400rds

equinoxdreams
06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Hello, I'm still in a dilemma about what equipment to buy to suit my needs. I have a multiude of CD's so would like an Amp/Receiver that produces outstanding 2-Channel reproduction - yet I have an ever increasing collection of SACD and DVD-A discs - is there a combination of receiver / dvd player that will do both jobs of recreating 2-channel and multi-channel sound with amazing clarity, tha will blow me away? I like the thought of the RXV1400 having 'Direct Stereo mode' (I presume the 750 has the exact same function). But, then I could buy a cheaper 650 and a Denon DVD1400 and then buy an extra CD player (like a NAD C521BEE) - would this better suit my needs? Forget about the video on the Denon DVD's - what is the sound difference between the 1400, 2200 and the 2900 (is the 2900 really that bit specially?).
My initial system would have been a Denon DVD2900 & Yamaha RXV1400rds, but would I get better results spending less, but still getting optimal sound?
Can anyone help?

Much appreciated, Phil.

stevos2005
06-08-2004, 07:27 PM
I absolutely love the Denon DVD-2900. The sound quality is excellent and highly detailed utilizing 24-bit Burr Brown DACs, actually I believe they use the same DACs found in their much higher priced DVD-5900. IMHO, the Denon has DACs that won't be found on most receivers unless you're talking $4k flagship models or similarly priced separate components. That's why I chose a similar combo myself.

I have the RX-V2400 and I guess that's similar enough to the RX-V1400. Forget about the direct stereo, the Yammies have a 7.1 channel discrete input. Use the much higher quality DACs from your DVD player and feed them through the discrete input when listening to music.

For the price range of the reciever your giving me, the Yamaha is one of the best around, for it's price. It handles movies very well, as Yamaha's typically do. What kind of speakers do you have? What kind of sound are you looking for?

Good luck.

equinoxdreams
06-09-2004, 12:19 AM
hello stevos2005, your information was very much appreciated and you are swaying me towards that direction. Because I'm starting from scratch, I'll need to get speakers too and so your thoughts in that area would be interesting. I did have an older Yahama receiver about 2 years ago and have only got a set of Mission M31 speakers left over and I presume they could be used as rear surround - so I'll need to look at front speakers, centre and subwoofer etc....
I read in someone's review, that the Denon DVD2900 didn't handle some SACD and DVD-A disc's very well - it vibrated alot - specifically with Yes's 'Magnification' and Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick...' anybody had any problems with this?

thanks, Phil

stevos2005
06-09-2004, 06:36 AM
I'd be happy to help you. What kind of sound are you looking for? How large is your room? Will the system be used primarily for music or HT or both? What kind of music are you planning to play the most? Also, would you eventually like to add external amps?

Thanks