And in keeping... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And in keeping...

Resident Loser
06-08-2004, 04:51 AM
...with the idea of changing the subject...

After some time and research into the matter, I have finally put new rubber on my Jeep!

My OEM upgrades were still legal but it was really time to do something...has been for some time actually!

I had no complaints with them performance-wise (over 76k mi.)and if they had still been manufactured I probably would have gotten a new set of the same. They were Goodyear Wrangler Radials...plain ol' Wrangler Radials...nowadays you have umpteen choices of that tire line...GSAs, RT/Ss AT/Ss...too many choices and none with a similar tread pattern.

I looked and looked, and read, got CUs opinion at the library...did all I could to narrow things down...my wife would wonder what the he!! I was always looking at in parking lots...every SUV got the eye...it got to the point I could identify tires by their tread pattern alone...

CUs Dayton Timberlines got a good review but had an iffy UTQG rating, both Bridgestone ATs were in the running but they looked better in sizes that were larger than would fit my vehicle...as it is, the factory option of 22575R-15s plays havoc with my speedo...Goodrich's were also out due to the size...as were Pro-Comps...I like Mickey Thompson's, but I'd have to drive half-way to hell to get 'em(lazy SOB that I am...besides then I'd want MT rims)...General Grabber AT2s really looked good but, none of the dealers seemed: (a) to know what I was talking about (b) not have them in stock if they did admit to their existence (c) too eager to order them!

Anywho...I finally decided to stick with a national(read: easy to replace and/or have serviced under warranty) brand...Dunlop RVxts...somewhat agressive tread, nice-sized tread blocks with water channels and the tire industry's "Snowflake/Mountain" severe weather rating...BTW, the only other one with this rating is the Generals...

So far, so good...I'm not sure if it was the age and condition of the originals, but they ride real nice. They seem good in the rain, although we really haven't had any monsoons as of yet...and one thing is for certain, they are quite quiet...I can't wait for the snow!!! Sometime between now and then, I also hope to get to some trail-heads to check out their performance on mild off-road conditions...hopefully they'll do as well as my ol' Wranglers did in this regard...

jimHJJ(...Tread Lightly!...Leave No Trace...)

piece-it pete
06-08-2004, 09:44 AM
...with the idea of changing the subject...

After some time and research into the matter, I have finally put new rubber on my Jeep!

My OEM upgrades were still legal but it was really time to do something...has been for some time actually!

I had no complaints with them performance-wise (over 76k mi.)and if they had still been manufactured I probably would have gotten a new set of the same. They were Goodyear Wrangler Radials...plain ol' Wrangler Radials...nowadays you have umpteen choices of that tire line...GSAs, RT/Ss AT/Ss...too many choices and none with a similar tread pattern.

I looked and looked, and read, got CUs opinion at the library...did all I could to narrow things down...my wife would wonder what the he!! I was always looking at in parking lots...every SUV got the eye...it got to the point I could identify tires by their tread pattern alone...

CUs Dayton Timberlines got a good review but had an iffy UTQG rating, both Bridgestone ATs were in the running but they looked better in sizes that were larger than would fit my vehicle...as it is, the factory option of 22575R-15s plays havoc with my speedo...Goodrich's were also out due to the size...as were Pro-Comps...I like Mickey Thompson's, but I'd have to drive half-way to hell to get 'em(lazy SOB that I am...besides then I'd want MT rims)...General Grabber AT2s really looked good but, none of the dealers seemed: (a) to know what I was talking about (b) not have them in stock if they did admit to their existence (c) too eager to order them!

Anywho...I finally decided to stick with a national(read: easy to replace and/or have serviced under warranty) brand...Dunlop RVxts...somewhat agressive tread, nice-sized tread blocks with water channels and the tire industry's "Snowflake/Mountain" severe weather rating...BTW, the only other one with this rating is the Generals...

So far, so good...I'm not sure if it was the age and condition of the originals, but they ride real nice. They seem good in the rain, although we really haven't had any monsoons as of yet...and one thing is for certain, they are quite quiet...I can't wait for the snow!!! Sometime between now and then, I also hope to get to some trail-heads to check out their performance on mild off-road conditions...hopefully they'll do as well as my ol' Wranglers did in this regard...

jimHJJ(...Tread Lightly!...Leave No Trace...)

Jim,

Tires!! Woof, woof, woof. Man things.

I've found that tires make a huge difference in ride quality. I used to buy cheapies until a tire company screwed up and upgraded me to better quality ones. Wow, what a difference! Smoother ride, the water thing was awesome, the way it fanned out through deeper puddles at highway speeds. The car was actually more fun to drive.

So I am now a believer. No more $99 for 4 anymore!

A jeep.. do you do the offroad thing?

Pete

Resident Loser
06-08-2004, 11:18 AM
...no rock-crawlin' or stump jumpin'...and definitely no bushwackin'...strictly established trails and such...and pretty much to get to a trail-head to hike further in, day hikes and the like...Maine, NH, the Adirondacks and Catskills, Great Smoky Mountains, the Blue Ridge...even some real flat terrain in FLA...

My Cherokee is dead stock other than the OEM off-road package...tow hooks, skid plates, factory heavy-duty bits and pieces and those slightly larger meats...When I'm not using public transit, it's my daily driver so lift kits and that sort of thing are out of the question. Now if I decide to get second vehicle, there's always a chance...but I'd probably start simple with a K&N Filtercharger and a Borla or Gibson cat-back exhaust...a performance chip...then a locker or two and a lift...or I could spend the same amount on some fancy speaker wires...

jimHJJ(...but then again, maybe not...P.S. I really like the Twain/dog thing...they really are great creatures...I've been very proud of my Canine-American charges!...)