paradigm studio 20 v.3 vs. def tech pm 700 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : paradigm studio 20 v.3 vs. def tech pm 700

audiomaker1
06-08-2004, 03:40 AM
has anyone auditioned these speakers and compared them? Which would be the better speaker for music ?

psonic
06-08-2004, 04:46 AM
I would say the best answer is the speaker that you like the most! You need to go listen because you have to pay for them and live with them thereafter!

N. Abstentia
06-08-2004, 06:15 AM
psonic is right, the one that YOU like better is the one that you should get.

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as I am familiar with both speakers. To ME, the Paradigm Studio 20's excel for music. They have excellent staging and a massive prescence. The Def Techs seemed to be made more for movies, they just lacked the refinement of the Studio 20's.

But everyone's ears are different, you should listen and judge for yourself!

Steelheart1948
06-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Read this:http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_studio20_v3.htm

stevos2005
06-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Personally, for music, I'd go for B&W speakers. At the price of the power monitor 700s you can get a full range B&W 604 S3 and possibly a bookshelf B&W 705, or even the old CDM NT series, but that's just my personal taste. You might like Paradigm or Def Tech or something else better. I found Def Tech to be very forward, but definitely lacking the refinement, clarity, and accuracy I found in B&W. I liked the Def Tech monitors better than their bipolars.

Woochifer
06-09-2004, 11:31 AM
The Studio 20 v.3 is one of the most capable and versatile speakers I've heard in that price class. Very full sound with excellent imaging. Overall refinement and tonal balance are excellent, but it still has plenty of punch in reserve for percussive and amplified sounds. The transparency of the sound translates very well for both music and home theater sources. It's one of the more "boxless" sounding conventional speakers I've heard for under $1,000. Definitely a step up from the previous v.2 series, and worth a listen.

Can't comment on the Def Techs because I've only heard their bipolar tower models, and did not care much for them. In general, the Def Techs I've heard are a lot more forward sounding than I like, with an aggressive sound that seems atuned to maximizing impact with certain home theater soundtracks than conveying a lot of detail and subtlety. But, again those were the bipolar towers, so the models you're interested in might sound different.