What questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What questions

Miket99
12-01-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm choosing a new pair of home speakers. I have a listening room w/ 12 ft. ceiling and about 20 x 35 dimensions. Budget less than 1000.00 and a wife that doesn't want anything intrusive (size matters to her ;) ) What questions should I be asking?

TinHere
12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Honey, can I get Rockets since they have a furniture finish? ;)

Do some reading and listening to see if you will be happy with "small" speakers. Will you be using a sub? Floorstanders? Bookshelf? Micros? 2 Channel only or future 5.1/6.1/etc?

The real question is, after listneing to some possiblilities, which sounds best to you and why. Then, can you get "better" [i.e. more of what you like] for the same money. After you have an idea about what you like and can get you can find comparisions and opinions about what you're leaning to on this and other forums. Take your time. It's hard to buy what you like when you don't know what you're looking for. Many speakers will sound good when you hear them, it's when you start to compare them side by side that differences become more apparent. When you start to really care about how they will sound in your home maybe your wife will be more apt to compromise and you can both enjoy the choice. Happy hunting.