Studio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Studio

Boy Lover
06-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Does anyone have the db graph that shows how straight the lines are meaning how close is it to flat response for the JBL S26??

ProAc_Fan
06-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Does anyone have the db graph that shows how straight the lines are meaning how close is it to flat response for the JBL S26??

Just curious what the fascination is with a flat frequency response? Are you under the impression this is more desireable? If yes, then a studio monitor like a Rogers LS3/5A may be up your ally. The JBL on the other hand is anything but flat. By the way, IMHO most listeners can't stand a really flat loudspeaker. Thus the tone controls and loudness button ( UGH) you find on lots of black plastic junk made nowadays.

Mike

RGA
06-07-2004, 10:48 PM

There is no real sense to a flat speaker which doesn't exist and cannot exist anyway. Every room and speaker position and your position relative to the speaker cahanges the graph. Speaker companies typically measure speakers at one meter which doesn't help you sitting 10 -12 feet away likely where you SHOULD be listening. I mean the manufacturers typically recommend the speaker be placed 8-10 feet apart with you 8-10 feet back - and yet themeasurement is taken at 3 feet and sometimes not even in a room in order to make their stuff look better on a measurement. Yeah that's useful.

Here is the measurment - well "A Measurement" of the JBL's with little useful info info about how useful it is.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/16/index3.html

This Guy
06-08-2004, 08:43 PM
guys its a troll. This is the same guy or girl that had the moniker Darcher. Do a search for that name and you'll see,

Boy Lover
06-08-2004, 10:00 PM
What is this such a big deal if I am the same person or not since I lost my password so I made a new account so theres nothing wrong with me ok.

Boy Lover
06-08-2004, 10:07 PM
and these infos that peep are giving me are helping me search for answers I always needed on the speakers ok. I dont appreciate peep that are saying mean things to me so stop saying that I am like some weirdo. I am still learning.

Pat D
06-09-2004, 05:04 AM
There is no real sense to a flat speaker which doesn't exist and cannot exist anyway. Every room and speaker position and your position relative to the speaker cahanges the graph. Speaker companies typically measure speakers at one meter which doesn't help you sitting 10 -12 feet away likely where you SHOULD be listening. I mean the manufacturers typically recommend the speaker be placed 8-10 feet apart with you 8-10 feet back - and yet themeasurement is taken at 3 feet and sometimes not even in a room in order to make their stuff look better on a measurement. Yeah that's useful.

Here is the measurment - well "A Measurement" of the JBL's with little useful info info about how useful it is.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/16/index3.html Measurements clearly aren't in your line, RGA. I suggest you just ignore them rather than making silly comments about them.

First of all, while the people at your link may measure speakers at one meter, more sensible ones do not. Here is a link to partially explain the measurements done at the NRC for Soundstage (they have to pay for this, by the way, just as do speaker manufacturers):

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/test_loudspeakers.htm

You may be misled somewhat by sensitivity figures, but usually those are converted to a 1 meter figure as a standard for comparative purposes. They don't measure it at 1 meter.

You have no idea how the speaker companies do it, and most of them aren't telling.

Secondly, in a room, response will differ with speakers with different positions the speakers and listeners.

Third, an anechoic response shows what the speaker itself does, and just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean it isn't useful to anyone else.
Speakers can be designed to be more room friendly, and that is one of the purposes of the NRC measurements.

The little JBLs seem to measure fairly well as far as they go, although the measurements show nothing about dispersion patterns and I don't see what sort of signal was used. The subwoofer isn't great.

This Guy
06-09-2004, 07:39 AM
The big deal is that you comeback on this other moniker just to ask the same questions about the same speakers. Nothing anyone says gets t you, you just ask it in another way in a different post. Does it really matter if your speakers are "FLAT"? If you would like to see if your speakers are flat, go to rat shack and buy an spl meter and run sweep tones from 20khz to 20 hz. You'll probably see it jumping around everywhere. I understand you're knew and I'm sorry if accused you of being a troll if you;re not one,

RGA
06-09-2004, 08:52 AM
PATD

This is the way they measured:

"All passive loudspeakers were measured at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes."

So maybe sening them a message would be best.