Quality CD's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quality CD's

jasmit
06-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Is there a way I can tell if I'm getting a quality CD (read quality music) before I buy it? Conversely, is there a way I can tell if it is junk? Will the case/cover bear any particular language, marking(s) or logo(s)? Does a higher price guarantee quality? Is quality music found more generally in any particular genre of music, e.g., classical? I'd appreciate a short primer on choosing quality CD's, if there is such a thing.

BTW, I tried unsuccessfully to search for such a thread.

Dave_G
06-07-2004, 12:23 PM
There are tons of crap cd's out there for sure.

One of the easiest ways to tell would be the record label. The big boys usually press good to excellent quality product (WEA, Capitol, etc.).

But it also depends on what you mean by quality.

For sound quality, you need to check the release date on the package to see if it's a recent remaster or not.

Some of the old Chrysalis cd's had awful sound quality.

Plus most of the mainstream acts have quality product but still a stinker can make it's way into the consumers hands.

Also there are a few Audiophile labels too, like DCC and MFSL and Sony Special Products.

Dave

newtrix1
06-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Is there a way I can tell if I'm getting a quality CD (read quality music) before I buy it? Conversely, is there a way I can tell if it is junk? Will the case/cover bear any particular language, marking(s) or logo(s)? Does a higher price guarantee quality? Is quality music found more generally in any particular genre of music, e.g., classical? I'd appreciate a short primer on choosing quality CD's, if there is such a thing.

BTW, I tried unsuccessfully to search for such a thread.

aka sonics (ie; how closely the recorded music matches a real life perfomance)? Please clarify "quality".

thanks

jasmit
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
By quality, I mean how faithful the recording is to the original live performance -- assuming the original live performance was well recorded.

Here's the reason for my question: I'm a relative newbie. I recently purchased some loudspeakers but haven't yet installed them. My sense of things is that they are considered "mid-fi", however they have been noted by several professional reviewers for their neutrality and transparency (Paradigm Reference Studio series). My understanding is that these speakers will allow me to hear all the good things inherent in well recorded music, i.e., its full range, individual instruments, etc. But they will also allow me to hear those things in poorly recorded music which are undesirable -- whatever they may be. I'd like to begin purchasing recordings which do not contain unwanted sound/noise/whatever.

When I go into a music store, I see a bazillion CD's in various categories of music bearing prices which vary from $6 or $7 to $25 and up. There doesn't, at least to me, seem to be any rhyme or reason to the pricing and I don't know if there is a way to tell if I'm getting a "quality" recording. I don't know what labels are junk or what are considered to be excellent. I don't know if there is some language to look for, i.e., "remastered", etc. In short, when I'm standing there at the CD bin, I feel ignorant. I'm looking for a little guidance; someone to steer me in the right direction if there is one. Or is it all just pot luck?

BTW, I like all kinds of music from Garth Brooks to Otis Redding to Frédéric Chopin.

Hyfi
06-07-2004, 02:50 PM
The short answer is Yes it is genre dependant. Most rock cd's are way overly compressed and get irritating at loud volumes on a quality playback system. Some of the recent remasters are better.
For classical try the Pope label. Cheap but excelent recordings.
As I replied in the other post, if you like smooth jazz, check out just about anything on the GRP label. For World Music-Jazz-Classical, Chesky has some of the most true to life recordings I have heard. For Blues, the Mapleshade has a few recordings like Drink Small, that you would swear are in your listening room.

Now, speaking of your listening room. Good recordings don't sound any better than crappy recordings on a crappy system, ie-Sony Rack System at 300 watts of distortion per channel. High res systems will give you a much better experience.

I have a 2 cd comp called Smooth Jazz Pizzaz that features many GRP artists as well as artist owned labels. If you would like a listen let me know.

Jazz fusion artists like Stanley Clarke's disks have great sound as do many of the Prog artists that Demetrio has turned us on to.

So what are you going to listen to this music on?

Hyfi

jasmit
06-07-2004, 03:27 PM
I will begin with a Denon AVR-2805 driving Paradigm Reference Studio 20 speakers. The receiver will serve as a stereo and for HT purposes. Later on, as my budget allows, I would like to get a two channel amp -- something along the lines of an ATI 1202 -- which will be for stereo music only.

Dusty Chalk
06-07-2004, 07:40 PM
The short answer is "no". Not without hearing it first, anyway.

I mean, think about it. If there was a particular marking that would indicate that it was a quality recording ("HDCD", perhaps), the record labels would be all over it, and start putting it on everything, in an attempt to "move more units", so it would quickly become meaningless.

Here's the way to do it -- buy every CD you ever possibly want, but by them used -- half.com, etc. Resell the ones you don't like, that way, it will be at very little loss to you.

Slosh
06-08-2004, 05:57 AM
At the end of the day well-recorded pap is still pap.

I only buy music I like and if it happens to be well-recorded that's a bonus. Even better-than-CD formats can't save a poor recording. I have several SACDs, DVD-As, and LPs that sound horrid.

The problem with audiophile labels (besides their pricing) is the vast majority of their catalog wasn't worth recording in the first place, IMO.

NP: Doug Martsch - Now You Know (LP)

Dave_G
06-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Dood,

hop onto ebay and buy MFSL cd's of:

Steely Dan - Aja

Queen - A Day at the Races

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood

Then hit BestBuy and find Kansas - Leftoverture and Masque (make sure they are the remasters, it will be obvious)

Then find a copy of Genesis - A Trick of the Tail on "Definitive Edition Remaster".

Then look for a copy of Queensryche - Empire on DCC cd's.

All of these are rock recordings and sound muy bueno.

Dave

Then snarf a

jasmit
06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas.

newtrix1
06-09-2004, 07:42 AM
By quality, I mean how faithful the recording is to the original live performance -- assuming the original live performance was well recorded.

Here's the reason for my question: I'm a relative newbie. I recently purchased some loudspeakers but haven't yet installed them. My sense of things is that they are considered "mid-fi", however they have been noted by several professional reviewers for their neutrality and transparency (Paradigm Reference Studio series). My understanding is that these speakers will allow me to hear all the good things inherent in well recorded music, i.e., its full range, individual instruments, etc. But they will also allow me to hear those things in poorly recorded music which are undesirable -- whatever they may be. I'd like to begin purchasing recordings which do not contain unwanted sound/noise/whatever.

When I go into a music store, I see a bazillion CD's in various categories of music bearing prices which vary from $6 or $7 to $25 and up. There doesn't, at least to me, seem to be any rhyme or reason to the pricing and I don't know if there is a way to tell if I'm getting a "quality" recording. I don't know what labels are junk or what are considered to be excellent. I don't know if there is some language to look for, i.e., "remastered", etc. In short, when I'm standing there at the CD bin, I feel ignorant. I'm looking for a little guidance; someone to steer me in the right direction if there is one. Or is it all just pot luck?

BTW, I like all kinds of music from Garth Brooks to Otis Redding to Frédéric Chopin.

According to the site, these are recordings (submitted by listeners) which possess both high music merit as well as high recording quality:

http://www.audioannex.com/AAxRRs.htm

Jim Clark
06-09-2004, 08:41 AM
According to the site, these are recordings (submitted by listeners) which possess both high music merit as well as high recording quality:

http://www.audioannex.com/AAxRRs.htm

That's a pretty cool, if woefully incomplete listing of records. Course I just skip on over to the rock page and was amazed at how few of those I had on my racks (or in boxes, cabinets, counters etc...)

Noticed the rec of "Upstairs at Erics" by Nobody. I'm guessing it's our pal. Thanks for the link.

As for the original post-I think we are witnessing the birth of an audiophile. Eee Gads! I guess you're fortunate that you may like a wider variety of music. Personally I find many audiophiles racks filled with supremely well recorded material that I wouldn't want to listen to for any price. I'm more about finding music that I like foremost and if it just happens to be well recorded, well then I consider myself extremely fortunate.

jc

jasmit
06-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Newtrix1 - Thanks for the link; it's certainly a start.

Jim - I don't have enough money to be an true audiophile, but I can fake it.