Question about EFE ar.com DIY speaker cabinets [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about EFE ar.com DIY speaker cabinets

kexodusc
06-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Well, I've decided to abandon any ideas about the GR Research A/V-1's and pursue the Ed Frias DIY's again. As long as work doesn't relocate me in the next few days again, I think I'll actually get started on them this time.

I have question about the cabinets...in the spirit of DIY-ing, I'm going to build my own - I'm no stranger to woodworking and I'm cheap, so this works out great.
When cutting the pieces, should the front baffle measure the full area of the front of the speaker, or should I allow the sides, top, and bottom to surround the baffles flush to the front and rear?

Or does it matter? And if it does, why?

Thanks,

Swerd
06-07-2004, 12:07 PM
When cutting the pieces, should the front baffle measure the full area of the front of the speaker, or should I allow the sides, top, and bottom to surround the baffles flush to the front and rear?
Think about how you will finish the cabinets and whether you plan to use a grill. If the front baffle covers the full front area of the cabinet, then the seams won't be visible from the front. Even if you veneer the front, these seams can be a problem if they are slightly uneven.

kexodusc
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
I see...I didn't anticipate the seams becoming a problem. I do intend to make some grills eventually...probably last.
Sound like solid advice, Swerd, thanks.