A real newbie question....Please help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A real newbie question....Please help

mjnoles1
06-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Sorry for such a newbie question but here it goes................ My dvd player only has coaxial digital audio while my cd player only has the optical digital audio so I purchased this..........................http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F009%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1228&hp=search ........................... To connect my dvd player to my cd audio system. My audio system has Dolby surround Pro Logic with a main left and right speaker, center speaker, left and right surround sound speakers and a sub woofer so I am guessing that means I also have 5.1. The problem is people on the forums I have been looking at does not no for sure if the converter I purchased to connect the two equipments will support the 5.1 dolby surround pro logic sound that my audio system has. The question i have is while watching a dvd for example, how will I know if the converter box is supporting the above surround sound that I mentioned. What will I notice differently from hearing my audio system working correctly with the functions it is capable of and how will i notice if the converter is not supporting the 5.1 dolby surround pro logic sound.

Again thank you for all the help with my embarrassing newbie question lol

kelsci
06-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Mjnoles1; What make and model receiver do you have. This is extremely important to determine whether you even need or can use this RS item you purchased. Is this receiver an older receiver that only offers DOLBY PRO-LOGIC ONLY or does this receiver have in its backside a coaxial or optical INPUT? Kelsci.

mjnoles1
06-06-2004, 01:22 PM
The back of my system has a cd digital out (optical jack. When I am watching a dvd with everything hooked up it sounds really really good but I have not turned on the dolby surround pro logic feature because I do not know what to listen for to see if it is actually working.

Beckman
06-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Most DVD's are encoded with dolby digital sound. This means when you connect the DVD player the reciever, the reciever will seperate the sounds based on the encoding. It shouldn't make the slightest differnce if you use an optical or coaxial input. Both are the same digital signal. see:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question542.htm
good luck.

mjnoles1
06-06-2004, 06:11 PM
"Beckman" Will everything still work correctly with that converter which I posted the link to on here. Will the dolby surround pro logic still work like it is suppose to with that converter that I needed to connect the optical and the coaxial cables?

woodman
06-06-2004, 06:12 PM
In order to properly answer your question, we have to know just what you have in your "system". You stated that your "system" has a CD digital output? Is the CD player and the amplifier (or receiver) an all in one unit? Are there any connections on the backside for "digital" input? Or, is the unit a Dolby ProLogic capable unit only? If the latter is the case, you cannot use the unit you purchased from RadioShack at all, and you will NOT be able to get 5.1 channel playback performance out of it, no matter what.

You need to provide more detail in order to get more help.

kelsci
06-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Mjnoles1; You did not answer my question which is very specific what it asks. Please read it again. An output is different than an input. Please also read WOODMAN'S QUESTION. He could not help you for the same reason. Make sure you check your MANUAL for the correct terminology as well. He and I from the information you supplied cannot give you an answer. The manual will also describe the device you own. Please list the description of what the item is from that manual. Kelsci.