Have you notice Cable/Satellite monthly charges keep going up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have you notice Cable/Satellite monthly charges keep going up?

Smokey
06-05-2004, 06:45 PM
For example, Dishnetwork basic package (50 channel) was only 19.99 just about couple of years ago. Then it rose up to $22, $24 and finally, I found out today to $26.99. And it is the same with other programing packages also.

Just a reminder :D

vega-ls12
06-05-2004, 07:14 PM
For example, Dishnetwork basic package (50 channel) was only 19.99 just about couple of years ago. Then it rose up to $22, $24 and finally, I found out today to $26.99. And it is the same with other programing packages also.

hell yeah i have digital cable with an extra box and broadband also.my bill is like $$120.00 right off the top

mtrycraft
06-05-2004, 08:26 PM

I don't have sat dish but why would it be different form anything in consumerland?
When you have no or minimum competitition, no government control, sky is the limit because they can do it. You either cancel or put up with it.
Do you really think the oil companies pay the spot prices on the stock exchange for oil? They are probably in it to drive it.

woodman
06-06-2004, 05:19 PM

Dammit, Smoker ... there you go again. You need to "do your homework" before you post such garbage as this! Lumping cable and satellite into the same box is not only patently unfair - it's flat out wrong.

For openers, Dish Network's "basic" package (known in the past as America's Top 50) was $19.99 when Dish first launched in 1996 ... not just a few years ago as you (incorrectly) stated. It's now grown to be America's Top 60 with the addition of at least 10 more channels and the price today is only $24.99 - not $26.99 as you (incorrectly) stated. That's an increase of only $5 over a span of 8 years - an increase of 25% over the 8 years, or roughly 3% a year, just about the rate of inflation.

Cable companies on the other hand, have been routinely raising rates as much as 5 times the rate of inflation in just ONE year. This is nowhere near comparable as any fool can plainly see. Many cable subscribers have grown so fed up with the ever increasing cable rates that they have switched to satellite in sheer desperation to get something approaching value for their entertainment dollar. In addition, the signal quality of cable is quite generally with rare exception, well below the quality of satellite signals every day of the week. The cableTV technical support also leaves a WHOLE lot to be desired. So please, Smoke - get your facts straight ... please!

Your longtime frien' (and corrector)

Smokey
06-06-2004, 08:45 PM
hell yeah i have digital cable with an extra box and broadband also.my bill is like $$120.00 right off the top

Yikes, that is too much. If we take off $30 for the broadband, then you are paying $80 for cable alone. And the worst part is that with all the channels selections we have, we only watch couple of them all the time, and the rest none of time :)

Do you really think the oil companies pay the spot prices on the stock exchange for oil? They are probably in it to drive it.

Of course not. They probably set a fix price for the yearly fiscal budget, and keep rising or reducing prices accordingly from the fixed price :)

It's now grown to be America's Top 60 with the addition of at least 10 more channels and the price today is only $24.99 - not $26.99 as you (incorrectly) stated

Woodman, aren't you forgetting tax? It is $24.99 for basic package, but in actuality it is 26.99 with tax. And the new channels they added to justify the price increase are really worthless. Channels such as Men's or Catalog TV which only shows paid advertisement infomercials are not really entertainment....unless you are a shop-e-holic :D

But I agree with you that cable prices have gone up faster than satellite. That is why I said good by to Cable over 7 years ago :)