God, I need a comedy comp. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : God, I need a comedy comp.

Finch Platte
06-05-2004, 05:39 PM
My life sucks, and I need some laffs. I'm talkin' good comedy, too, dammit. Monty Python, Firesign Theatre, National Lampoon, Phill Collins, etc. Who are the new, good comedians?

Anyone done one of these? Anyone want to? Want me to do it? Contributions? Bueller?

fp

Has anyone heard the skit that guy did all by himself in the DJ booth, where he plays John Wayne and Walter Brennan? I have it on tape, and it's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Can anyone burn this onto a CD for me?

dld
06-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Current funny comedians? I have none on CD or Lp, but I noticed you left two classic essentials off yer list, Doug and Bob McKenzie and Cheech and Chong.

NP-Jimi Hendrix Electric LadyLand, Disc 2, side 2. All Along the Watchtower and Voodoo Chile Slight return back to back are just too fookin good.

Dusty Chalk
06-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I don't know about whole comp.'s, but the latest comedy seedy that I got was Triumph The Insult Comic Dog's Poop with Me. The concept is funnier than the whole, but if you break it down into parts, it's funny.

Here's a story that will make you laugh. True, too: my car was in the shop for repairs, and it was just sitting there taking up space, when they ran out of room. So they did what they usually do -- they towed the cars that were not in any immediate rush (I.E., not waiting to be looked at, worked on, or picked up) to storage. Only they towed it to the wrong place, and it got destroyed. Compacted. It's currently sitting in someone else's trunk. I ain't got no ride no mo'. Yes, I stopped at the store on the way back and bought me a new bike lock.

glimps
06-05-2004, 08:58 PM
If you don't mind listening to a comic make fun of religion and the current U.S. adminisration, then David Cross is your man.

ForeverAutumn
06-06-2004, 06:21 AM
Geez, I'm really sorry to hear that your life sucks. I hope that things look up for you real soon. I've never been a big fan of comedy on CD. For me, comedy has always had to be more of a visual thing.

Two of my favourite comedians are Emo Phillips and Dennis Leary. Opposite sides of the spectrum, perhaps, but each very funny in their own way. A couple of years ago I saw this Dennis Leary special on Cable (as you American's call it :D ) and I don't think that I've ever laughed so hard. Go get yourself a Dennis Leary DVD. That'll get your laughter juices flowing.

Hyfi
06-06-2004, 06:40 AM
I have this disk of a Las Vegas comic named Sean Morey. FA can tell ya how funny it is.
I send a copy as soon as I can.

Hyfi

PS - Did ya know they won't let you pitty click your own messages anymore?

newtrix1
06-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Maybe you've seen/heard it already, but in case you haven't, it's really hillarious (especially perfect for you Gary ;) )http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/robinwiliams.htm

mad rhetorik
06-06-2004, 10:50 AM
...on your definition of "funny," Finchy ; ).

Some people like rapid-fire, dirty/ethnic humor (Chris Rock, Robin Williams, Richard Pryor). Others prefer comedians who go into political issues (Lewis Black, current George Carlin, Bill Hicks). Then there are those who forget about any sort of political/ethnic statement and just go for the funny (Jay Mohr, Mitch Hedburg, Dane Cook). It's a classic case of "YMMV." Comedy is also way better with some sort of visual IMO, so I reccommend picking up the DVD's instead of the CD's if available.

Here's my faves:

Dane Cook: <b>Harmful If Swallowed</b>
He's one of my favorites on Comedy Central right now. Great fast delivery, hiliariously random and very energetic. I'd kill to see him live. His skit on the Kool-Aid guy on this must be seen to be believed.

Lewis Black: <b>The White Album</b>, <b>The End Of The Universe</b>
You won't find a funnier "angry man" comic than Lewis. His appearances on <b>The Daily Show</b> are always a highlight and he's even funnier by himself in front of a mic.

Mitch Hedburg: <b>Strategic Grill Locations</b>
Saw his special on Comedy Central a couple years ago, and he quickly became one of my fave comics. Mitch's ace timing and hysterical random hippie nonsequitors are unrivalled. His latest disc <b>Mitch All Together</b> is also good, but he changed his style of delivery. I think his old style was much funnier.

Bill Hicks: <b>Rant In E-Minor</b>
Hicks was a genius--too bad he's left us while other comics relentlessly bite the edgier parts of his act (David Cross is a total Hicks wannabe). Great political humor that's not for the easily offended.

Stephen Lynch: <b>Superhero</b>
This guy pulls out his acoustic guitar and puts his material into song. Great filthy humor, and it's one of the few comedy albums that works equally well in either medium.

Brian Regan: <b>Live</b>
Extremely funny, and clean enough to watch with the fam.

Dave Chapelle: <b>D.C. Show, Seasons 1 & 2</b>
I think Dave is one of the better ethnic-humor comedians out there. Definitely worth watching.

Ray Romano: <b>Live At Carnegie Hall</b>
If you like the character he plays on TV, you'll most definitely dig this.

Some classic standup:

Bill Cosby: <b>Himself</b>
(Insert Jello joke here); say what you will about him, Cosby's simply an excellent storyteller.

George Carlin: <b>FM & AM</b>, <b>Class Clown</b>
Carlin in his prime. All his best material, and far better than his current act.

Robin Williams: <b>A Night At The Met</b>
Listen to this and you'll almost forget that he starred in all those schmaltzy '90s flicks. Sooo funny and flat-out insane, Williams has the gifted ability of being able to drop 5 perfectly timed jokes in the amount of space it takes most comedians to make one.

Richard Pryor: <b>Is It Something I Said? </b>
Excellent, though <i>really</i> raw ethnic/dirty humor. Once again the easily offended are advised to stay away.

Monty Python: <b>..Sings</b>
The audio Bible of British humor.

Spinal Tap: <b>This Is Spinal Tap</b>
The soundtrack is almost good as the mockumentary. Missing a few things, though (where's "Lick My Love Pump?").

JDaniel
06-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey - I sent you the original MASH movie on DVD. Plop that in your DVD player and watch it. If you can't laugh at the black pill / suicide is painless routine, then nothin is funny. That's one of my all time favs.

JD

Slosh
06-06-2004, 04:34 PM
My life sucks

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Dave_G
06-07-2004, 07:08 AM
I would LOVE a comedy comp.

Best idea heard round here in a while.

I have a few Monty Python cd's and the redneck comedy tour cd's.

That Larry the Cable Guy is hilarious.

Please advise, I would love to get/help make a comedy comp.

Excellent idea, eff.

Dave

Mr MidFi
06-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I have another George Carlin title to add to MR's list...<i>An Evening with Wally Londo, Featuring Bill Slaszo</i>. Funny stuff from the mid-70s.

Side note:
Do I cease to be a mere "Junior Member" on my 100th post since the format change?

Mr MidFi
06-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Apparently.

Dave_G
06-07-2004, 08:49 AM
I have been eyeing for a while the Richard Pryor boxed set, it is full of great stuff, but pretty expensive.

George Carlin used to be funny as heck.

Dave