audioexcellence.com nightmare [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : audioexcellence.com nightmare

JDiddy
06-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Where to begin...I ordered a Yamaha RXV-1400 from audioexcellence.com for $589.00. They Forced me to buy a 3yr. warranty for $59.00 plus shipping for a total of $700.00. When I received it, I hooked it up and was very pleased with it's performance. It worked fine for 12 days then it just died for no reason. I called them immediately and they told me to call this maccam warrany place, so I did, they to me to call audioexcellence. Both companies were very rude to me and would not help me. I spent the next 4 WEEKS making numerous phone calls to both companies, faxing all my proof of warranty,purchase etc...I finally got a new receiver after all this hassle and I had to ship the old one back. The manager, Paul, from Audioexcellence is the ruddest person I have ever dealt with. I will NEVER order from there again and I strongly urge all of you to stay away also! There are many better online retailers with better prices such as, bestpriceaudiovideo.com, vanns.com, etronics.com, simplycheap.com, partsexpress.com. I have ordered from all these places and was very happy with them. Other than that, the yamaha is awesome!

skeptic
06-06-2004, 03:40 AM
The purchase of extended warrantees is one of the biggest ripoffs in retailing. If you add up the cost of ALL of the appliances you buy, and the cost of ALL of the warrantees you are offered, you will see that since you don't know in advance which particular ones of the small percentage of items you buy within the extended warrantee periods will fail, for the money you would save on NOT buying warantees, you could easily afford to replace the ones that do fail. Furthermore, of those that fail within the EXTENDED warantee period, most will fail quickly like yours did within the MANUFACTURER's warrantee period. And although you may have to pay labor costs, you still come out far far ahead.

Nobody is ever "Forced" to buy an extended warrantee but if you feel strongly pressured, I'd walk away from the deal. Many retailers put great pressure on their sales people to sell them because that is where they make the bulk of the profit. Extended warrantees, financing charges, and of course audiophile cables. That's how they soak you.

Beckman
06-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Rude people just hate it when you are nice to them.:)

kfalls
06-07-2004, 05:25 AM
The purchase of extended warrantees is one of the biggest ripoffs in retailing. If you add up the cost of ALL of the appliances you buy, and the cost of ALL of the warrantees you are offered, you will see that since you don't know in advance which particular ones of the small percentage of items you buy within the extended warrantee periods will fail, for the money you would save on NOT buying warantees, you could easily afford to replace the ones that do fail. Furthermore, of those that fail within the EXTENDED warantee period, most will fail quickly like yours did within the MANUFACTURER's warrantee period. And although you may have to pay labor costs, you still come out far far ahead.

Nobody is ever "Forced" to buy an extended warrantee but if you feel strongly pressured, I'd walk away from the deal. Many retailers put great pressure on their sales people to sell them because that is where they make the bulk of the profit. Extended warrantees, financing charges, and of course audiophile cables. That's how they soak you.

You're assuming there was a manufacturer's warranty! Many manufacturers do not support warranties unless the item was purchased through an "Authorized Dealer" including Yamaha and Klipsch who have their policies stated on their web-sites. Judging on the retailer's and service reps attitudes, I'll bet there wasn't a manufacturer's warranty and he was lucky he paid the $59 or he'd have to pay for the repair.