Audiokarma.org [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audiokarma.org

kajguy
06-05-2004, 11:01 AM
I recently had a very negative experience with Audiokarma.org. I posted threads about equipment that I really enjoyed and, just because some of my collection was later sold on E-Bay to be replaced with other equipment, my account was suspended! Also, when I did not respond to certain moderators there who would attack my opinions with inappropriate language and a basic hostility, the Amiinistrator decided that I was being condescending. I never criticize other people's opinions and felt that I was treated most unfairly at Audiokarma.org, where my ID was "vintagestereo". You can read the post "1989 Marantz Century Series" under General Audio Discussion and judge for yourselves, if you'd like.

Anyway, I've reviewed several of the posts here, and it's a much nicer atmoshphere. I am a collector of Vintage Monster Receiver and Marantz BTW.

Chris

kajguy
06-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Here's the thread that got me suspended:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19576

N. Abstentia
06-05-2004, 11:55 AM
What a bunch of wankers they seem to be.

grumpy
06-05-2004, 12:24 PM
See you have found a new home over here.

Before you go spewing all your ridiculous crap over here why don't you tell all the good folks how you violated every one of the very few rules Audiokarma has.

This guy is a whinny lawyer. If you guys want him you can have him.

Oh yeah and when he gives you the I'm leaving drama speech don't worry. He will just come back and re register under a new name to keep you company.

Remember that invited House guest that would not leave ? Thats Kaj !!!!

Enjoy your new home..

Grumpy

kajguy
06-05-2004, 01:19 PM
I think Grumpy's post amply illustrates my point about audiokarma.org.

grumpy
06-05-2004, 02:55 PM
I think Grumpy's post amply illustrates my point about audiokarma.org.

AudioKarma is about community. We help each other out. All you ever did was USE AK.

To the members here. I truly feel sorry for you.
Enjoy your stay....................Anywhere else but AK !!!

grumpy

kajguy
06-05-2004, 03:28 PM
AudioKarma is about community. We help each other out. All you ever did was USE AK.

To the members here. I truly feel sorry for you.
Enjoy your stay....................Anywhere else but AK !!!

grumpy

The members here can easily search AK for posts under my ID of "vintagestereo" and decide for themselves whether or not I made a worthwhile contribution to AK or was just a "user", as you claim. Frankly, I have no idea what I ever did to you to deserve the unnecessarily hostile treatment you have given me and then to stalk me to another forum and attempt to "poison the well" there.

I invite you to post the link(s) to any AK threads where you were involved which you believe justify your hostility and efforts to humiliate me so others can decide for themselves whether your actions are justified and reasonable. I'll be happy to let my posts speak for themselves and I am sure that there are many on AK who appreciated my contributions and will be reacting soon to what you have done.

Otherwise, I respectfully request that we go our seperate ways in peace.

grumpy
06-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey I see you have your list of gear for sale up on AR already. What a coinkydink.

I am done with you. have fun..

kajguy
06-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Grumpy - I simply don't see where I have any gear up for sale on AR, as you claim. There is a very popular thread here where people are asked to list what they own and I listed what I own. This way people can easily identify other audiophiles with similar interests. What was wrong with that?

I simply don't see how listing some of the equipment that I own, in some cases for years, in other cases for months or weeks, equates with putting it up for sale on AR. If I told you what kind of car I drive does that mean it's for sale? Is everyone else who posted to that thread putting all their stuff up for sale? In fact, some of my pieces are so rare and in such nice condition I will never part with them, as I'm sure any collector can appreciate. However, some piece I will ultimately sell on E-Bay, after I've enjoyed them enough, to make room for others, as most audio collectors tend to do.

Although you didn't respond to my invitation that you show me where I had posted something wrong or offensive on AK, or something illustrating what a "user" I was, as you have alleged, and despite that fact we have never had any "conversations" before you flamed me yesterday and you shagged then me down over here for more of your abuse, I can now clearly see what your problem is.

SO, THANK GOD YOU'RE NOW DONE WITH ME! I certainly can't accuse you of misrepresting who are are. And, I hold no ill will toward you. You are who you are. May God bless you and good bye, Grumpy.

hifitommy
06-06-2004, 11:12 AM
pretty common. i deleted them from my links. decent people stay away from there in droves. nothing but a bunch of frustrated generation eXcrement over there.

;^/

grumpy
06-07-2004, 03:43 AM
pretty common. i deleted them from my links. decent people stay away from there in droves. nothing but a bunch of frustrated generation eXcrement over there.

;^/

No Tommy. We are just regular people who were sick of guys like you an Kaja.

You were the one with the high and mighty AA attitude. What happened they kick you out on your ass ??

You guys will make such a nice couple together

hifitommy
06-07-2004, 05:08 AM
is all ANYONE needs to see what you are. you are a perfect reresentative of the toilet known as " audio kharma".

piece-it pete
06-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I don't have any personal experience with kajguy but you don't get kicked off AK for no reason.

I have been warned by people I DO have experience with, that's enough for me. And Grumpy wouldn't come over here to start a war. He came to give warning. AK is a decent place where TONS of good people have TONS of experience with all kinds of gear, from the top to the bottom, tubes & SS, Lowthers to DQ-10s. There's jerks, sure, but they don't last long.

So to you regulars here, who know me, come to your own conclusions. I'm not going to post to this thread again, we don't need this crap here.

Pete

jimmymagick
06-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Piece-it Pete is exactly right.

You don't like AudioKarma, don't go there--simple as that--but as far as some kind of "excrement" attitude on the site, you guys are talking out of your butt.

kajguy
06-07-2004, 12:48 PM
peice-it-pete: So, what did I do that got me kicked off? Grumpy wouldn't tell me, even though I asked him for specific examples.

You seem much more civilized and perhaps, since you were "warned", you could explain it for me.

My side is that Grumpy flamed me over a post with link to independent web page that in addition to some very interesting reviews and scans of brochures had a link to an 2 auctions I had on E-Bay. This was the first time I had ever done this and, once I was make aware of the problem by Shain and ckelly, I then removed the links on the linked page and apologized.

I did not respond to Grumpy's flame because of his use of the "F" word and the obvious hostility. Another Senior AK'er, Jay, said my informational page was "superb" and to ignore "the hostile guys", which I did. The next thing I know, Kam tells me my account is "suspended"! What did I ever do that was so terrible to warrant the kind of treatment Grumpy has followed me over here to give? I never responded by insulting him back and it amazes me that anyone could get so upset over a discussion of audio equipment.

I have asked for an explanation of what I did wrong and nothing specific has been given other than that I mentioned the name of a friend of mine, fellow audio enthusiast, and AK member, in my posts. What is wrong with that? I just don't get it.

I really wonder what a psychiatrist would make of Grumpy's posts....they are really uncivilized and out of line in IMHO. They do not reflect well on AK at all. I feel like I've been convicted by a Kangaroo Court.

kajguy
06-07-2004, 02:54 PM
What I find most reprehensible is publicly bashing someone you don't know before even discussing an "issue" you have with them by PM. One minute I'm "flamed", then there's a public post that I'm "suspended" and then I get bashed over here. I don't think that's civilzed at all and regardless of what you think of AK overall, in my case, they've been horrible.

Again, I don't know why all this hostility over audio equipment. No money was stolen, nothing was damaged and no one was harmed (except my reputation). What's the bid deal? Why so angry? I just don't get it. Thank God I don't live next to one of these guys. Can you imagine????

kajguy
06-07-2004, 04:56 PM
I think this thread has now outlived its usefulness. I really enjoy AK and I'm sorry that things ended the way the did. If there was a way for me to get "unsuspended", that would be great. Otherwise, life goes on!

Thatch_Ear
06-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Kaj,
I doubt there is anything specific and while you did contribute a few things in general your posts seemed repetative, you definatly dissed other members gear and you for what ever reason could not stop dropping the name of the guy who fixes the mistakes you buy.
I don't participate much in the vintage SS forum as while I own quite a bit of it I am not that intersted in hunting and collecting it, but it seemed as though you posted the same thing about different gear and are so fixated on "Monster Recievers" that you don't seem to realize that they are just not that big of a deal.
After it began to be noticed that the bigger the deal you made over a piece of gear and the more often you mentioned the tech to make sure that everyone knew that you had an expert fix it, the more likely it was going to appear on Ebay.
To tell you the truth when you 1st joined AK you bragged, not just stated but bragged about how after an Ebay auction was finished that you talked the buyer out of buying some piece of Pioneer I think, because you didn't want to ship it to Florida from California. That post to me said that you were a braggert, not honest in business deals and can't pack gear to ship, or in other words you have no business selling it on Ebay and then are stupid enough to advertise that fact to a large group of men who buy and sell the same type of gear on Ebay all the time.
From that point on I really didn't care what you posted untill you came out and told the other members that it was OK if they didn't have the TOTL higher wattage and more features recievers like you did, that they shouldn't be embarrassed that yours was better than theirs and even though they didn't have the bragging rights you did they should still post about their little recievers because they were probably OK. That was egotistical and stupid. The thread was worded like it was praising the owners of the gear that you wouldn't own because it wasn't in the same class. It was snobbery thinly disguised as praise and showed an attitude that is not welcome.
Get your act together and post less and with greater care in this site and you might get over yourself enough to be not only active but actually give something of value to the community.
As active as you were, as nice as you were, besides the fact that you posted a lot of information of interest it was never done in the spirit of community or giving. It was all thinly veiled as a means to help you aquire what you want and the underlying feeling was of dishonesty.
Actually I didn't know you were booted till I heard about this thread. I had posted here in its old form long ago and decided to join. Don't flatter yourself to think it was because of you kaj.

kajguy
06-08-2004, 06:30 AM
David,

Thank you for giving me a better insight as to what happened.

In my defense, yes I do love Monster Receivers from the 1970's and I provided lots of other information and photos of them for other AK'ers who were "into" them as well. Many member enjoyed my posts and those that didn't certainly could ignore them.

I hate to see these things destroyed due to negligent handling during shipping and the particular Pioneer that I elected not to ship from California to Florida was in MINT condition and just had this "gut feeling" it was going to get broken, so the Buyer and I worked out an arrangement to cancel the transaction. I really don't see what was wrong with that or why anyone else should care. I was trying to preserve something very valuable and posted that thread to show how love of this equipment is greater than money, since I'd paid $39.00 for it at a GoodWill and the auction went for $850.00! And, in fact, I am listening to it as I write this. I will NEVER sell it.

Certain AK'ers would put me down for my love of the 1980's Marantz "Gold" gear. I tried to explain why I liked it so much, but, evidently, they didn't want to hear what I had to say. So, they shut me up by banishing me.

As for my Tech, I'm really grateful to have him and I thought other people might find it useful to know of someone in California who could do really great work on this equipment. I started a thread identifying people all across the U.S. who worked in vintage stuff. I saw other people refer to EchoWars all the time, so I don't know why anyone would get upset over my Tech being mentioned....and he joined AK and posted some new circuit designs which generated.some interest.

Finally, as for E-Bay, that's where many people find this vintage equipment. I saw posts all the time about various E-Bay auctions. And, yes, I would talk about a piece on AK and later sell it on E-Bay to replace it with a piece that was nicer. Again, I don't see what the problem is with that. I provided AK with scans or product brochures, owner's manuals, etc. I was not "harvesting" buyers as some people suppose. In fact, I never mentioned any of my E-Bay auctions in any posts on AK.

And, I never used insulting or offensive language toward anyone. My saying how "great", or "gorgeous" one of the big old receivers was should not have been misinterpreted as "bragging", but as honest, unbridled enthusiasm. That's what this hobby is all about anyway, isn't it?

But, the bottom line is that I simply do understand how anything that I ever did warranted being "suspended" or being "trashed" publicly the way I have been. It is now clear from your post, that certain people were reading things into my posts that simply weren't there and then speculating as to what my motives were without even bothering to discuss it with me first without being overtly hostile.

I have been told that all of my posts on AK have now been deleted so there is no record of what transpired and no one can see whether these attacks were justified or not. That's a shame because a lot of valuable information has now been lost to those AK'ers who enjoyed the same things I do.

Oh, well. Life goes on.

David, I'd like to thank you for your perspective. It was very insightful. It is clear to me that AK is a "community" where I do not belong anyway. It's kind of like the guy from the "big city" moving into the "small town". The old TV comedy "Green Acres" would be a good analogy. Some folks are very rigid in their way of thinking and it's "my way or the highway". So, I'm on the highway and the little burg of AK is fading from view in the rearview mirror.

gonefishin
06-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Hey ya Kaj :) (hmmm...AR needs a wave smilie)

I never did see much point in posting a persons bad feelings about one site at another. It just doesn't accomplish anything, except maybe help to make you or the members feel better or more united. But every site seems to have their people who'll bad mouth one site to make themselves feel better (don't know???...but, that's really not my point)

Far as I can tell, there are a bunch of good audio sites out there. Each site (that I've been to) actually seems to offer a little different flavor to the audiophile. Which is why I've always enjoyed going to several sites...using each of them for different reasons.

While each site does seem to offer something a little different, I wouldn't say any site is unique in the way it delivers it's content. If you get along (or fit in) well at a particular audio site, you may really have nothing to complain about. But if you don't seem to fit well with the site (or the site doesn't fit well with you) then you may not be perfectly happy there (as they with you). It does seem a bit unfortunate...but people seem to play with whom they like.

As I said, there are a bunch of good audio sites out there...and that you need to find one that fits well with you...or many that suit you well for specific areas of interest.

AudioKarma (http://audiokarma.org/) ... has a bunch of nice members there who are primarily focused on vintage SS gear, but this doesn't mean it's limited to vintage gear.

AudioAsylum (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/index.html) ... If I want some information on something (to build or buy)...this is one of the first places I go. There are not only LOTS of great info in the archives...but also some dang friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people. Sure you have to wade thru some posts...but hey, they've got a HUGE member base. What do ya expect? I actually don't use the whole site at AA. I usually stick to the digital, hirez, speaker HE speaker and tube forums.

DIYAudio (http://diyaudio.com/) ... great site for DIY information.

AltecUsersGroup (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729)... If you've got some old Altec speakers...this is the place you want to check out.

Lansing Heritage Site (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/)... Not only a great JBL and Altec focused discussion group. but there is TONS of info on old Altec and JBL speakers here.

AmpChipDIY (http://www.ampchipdiy.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=248&sid=a09c9a76d355b3ce0962dcffb23d1c91) ... Very friendly guys who are willing to help you build your first gainclone...or tweak perhaps the ultimate gainclone for the advanced. All you need is a little bit of common sense and some soldering skills...and you can build one of these cool sounding amplifiers. Put forth just a little effort and it'll be a piece of cake.

AudioCircle (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?page=2)... Another very nice website. This site is a bit unique that it actually has forums for individual manufacturers to participate. What you end up with is a nice group who has alot of experience in either amplifier design, speaker design or even acoustics. The members there are actually quite seasoned as well...nice informative site.

There are (of course) many others...pick one that suits ya

Or pick a few that suit ya ;)

JSE
06-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Kajguy,

AK is the past and a different forum. Your new here, 99% of the people here are good people and will judge you on your behavior here from this point on. Don't worry about it. The best thing you can do is just bow out of this particular thread and move on. I think you will enjoy it here at AudioReview.

Good luck,

JSE

kajguy
06-08-2004, 08:03 AM
JSE and Gonefishin' : Many thanks for your posts. I agree. AK is behind me and it's time to move on. I met some great people over there and I hope some of them are over here as well. gonefishin's post was TERRIFIC.

I'd love to find a forum where people are into vintage receivers from the "Power Wars" of the 70's....that's where my passion is. Maybe I should just start a forum of my own! LOL

Thanks for making me feel welcome here.

Chris

hifitommy
06-08-2004, 06:53 PM
it went away and i am sorry it did. i enjoyed commenting there as i have veen at this a while and have used and owned some of that equipment.

they may have all gone to AA vintage and there are plenty of posters there. no finger pointing but it seemed to go away after the format change at AR.

i agree aobut leaving AK behind (pun intended?) and i didnt expect grumpy to come fishing (trolling) over here.

whatever the circumstance, AK is over for me thankfully for me and them.

Myrealthoughts
04-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Reading these post now I see that this did not only happen to me.
This happened today. I buy things from online through a certain seller and found some things I thought others would like to know about. My big mistake I guess was listing the item number and the name of the seller. I posted two different post came back have no account with them and well also insulted by a certain moderator.
Gald to find a better place.

Geoffcin
04-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Reading these post now I see that this did not only happen to me.
This happened today. I buy things from online through a certain seller and found some things I thought others would like to know about. My big mistake I guess was listing the item number and the name of the seller. I posted two different post came back have no account with them and well also insulted by a certain moderator.
Gald to find a better place.

As long as you post your equipment for sale ONLY in the classified section it's perfectly fine to sell your items here. Posting links to items is OK too. We're pretty easy here, but remember that this is mostly a discussion forum.

skeptic
04-22-2005, 03:29 AM
After reading three pages of postings by a guy (and his supporters) who bought a perfectly good subwoofer on e-bay for ten dollars and was furious because when he plugged it in, it tripped his circuit breaker and he discovered that the power cord was frayed and he had to repair it for sixty nine cents, I couldn't stand it anymore so I called him a jackass. When the AM objected, I called him a jackass too. When Grumpy got into it, you guessed it, I called him a jackass three. You should have seen them scramble desparately trying to figure out how to ban me while I insulted everything from their intelligence to their lineage. That's the most fun I ever had on that site. But then what would you expect from a place where a 1950s table radio we used to call "the all American five" is a prized find and a warehouse full of old broken down 19" portable black and white television sets from the 1960s and 1970s is considered a treasure trove.

Grumpy, you were a jackass then and you are still a jackass now.

What good is a message board anyway if you can't call a jackass a jackass?

Resident Loser
04-22-2005, 04:36 AM
...nice to see your time away hasn't diminished your interpersonal skills...

jimHJJ(...chuckle...chuckle...)

Resident Loser
04-22-2005, 04:45 AM
Here's the thread that got me suspended:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19576

..or like others, who paint themselves into a corner, the crime scene seems to have been sanitized...

jimHJJ(...stereo-typical behavior...)

skeptic
04-22-2005, 05:31 AM
I only devote time to major jackasses. I don't have the time to give any attention to every little small fry which comes along. Sorry I can't accomodate you RL. You're not on my radar screen.

shokhead
04-22-2005, 05:53 AM
Stay the heck out of here. Geez,we have our own problems,we dont need audiokarma's. I've never heard of it. Do not come just to rag on somebody somewhere else. This is pretty low. :mad: :mad: :mad:

46minaudio
04-22-2005, 05:56 AM
I only devote time to major jackasses. I don't have the time to give any attention to every little small fry which comes along. Sorry I can't accomodate you RL. You're not on my radar screen.
Glad to see you back...!!!

Resident Loser
04-22-2005, 06:47 AM
...that's what I get for tryin' to pay you a compliment...albeit a somewhat left-handed one.

"...accomodate..." ME! Accomodate me how? Did you take my post as some sort of attempt at chit-chat?...don't flatter yourself...merely an acknowledgement of your re-appearance...like it or not, we are pretty much cut from the same cloth, you sarcastic, overbearing SOB!

Watch out for things that fly under your radar...

Now all we need is PCT, MikE and JR...

jimHJJ(...how's use of the Bose project gone since last you posted?...)

ericl
04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
As entertaining as this thread is, it is based off someones' 10 month old rant.

:confused:

lets not get too nasty guys

your pal,
Eric

shokhead
04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Why did someone rehash this,its a year old.

Resident Loser
04-22-2005, 09:59 AM
...these are practically love letters between me and Skep...

jimHJJ(...and besides it's "new" to me...I will, however, try to maintain some sense of decorum...)

skeptic
04-22-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm a big boy Eric. I can take it and I can dish it out. My elephant hide is not even blemished.

As for Grumpy and his crowd at audio Krapa, if you're going to bray like a jackass, you shouldn't be surprised when people call you one.

ericl
04-22-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm closing this thread, because its a year old, and I want it to die and fall back into the thread abyss that it came from!