EFE ar.com DIY's vs. GR Research A/V-1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : EFE ar.com DIY's vs. GR Research A/V-1

kexodusc
06-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Has anybody had any experience with both of these speaker kits? Nobody in my area that I know of has either that I could listen to for a quick comparison.
I actually ordered the EFE kit back in January, and subsequently re-sold it at bit of a loss without ever having started because of a promotion that forced me to move. Kind of regretting that decision now :(

Anyway, I've finally got settled have lots of time over the next few months and want to start all over again. I was just going to re-order the EFE DIY kit, but a few people have suggested the GR Research A/V-1's instead.
Both appear to be comparable. I'm no stranger to woodwork and have a few DIY-er friends that are eager to help...the question is, which project to undertake?
Any advice appreciated.

Daxman
06-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Has anybody had any experience with both of these speaker kits? Nobody in my area that I know of has either that I could listen to for a quick comparison.
I actually ordered the EFE kit back in January, and subsequently re-sold it at bit of a loss without ever having started because of a promotion that forced me to move. Kind of regretting that decision now :(

Anyway, I've finally got settled have lots of time over the next few months and want to start all over again. I was just going to re-order the EFE DIY kit, but a few people have suggested the GR Research A/V-1's instead.
Both appear to be comparable. I'm no stranger to woodwork and have a few DIY-er friends that are eager to help...the question is, which project to undertake?
Any advice appreciated.

Check this out: http://archive.audioreview.com/12/0EF9AE62.php

I found it an interesting read.

kexodusc
06-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah, it's a good read I stumbled on myself...I don't think I'd bother with GR's crossover for the ar.com design though...
The A/V-1's seem to have a solid reputation themselves...given their similarities in prices I'm just debating with which to buy. I can easily see myself building 3 pairs for a 7.1 sysem.
Since listening to them personally is next to impossible, I'm forced to resort to the next best thing...personal testaments from strangers. :)