Audio Note J/L versus J/Spe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Note J/L versus J/Spe

RGA
06-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Please pass this post by if you're not interested in Audio Note - some people here have been wondering about the different speaker levels from this company and what the scoop is on the differences. A little bit for B&W lovers at bottom.

I went in today to listen to several speakers - this post will be just a comparison of the J's.

System used: Same room all the same gear just changed out the two kinds levels of J's.

Audio Note MEISHU $10,000.00CDN - 8 watt Single Ended Amp
Audio note CD player level 3 (didn't catch the price but assume ~$3000.00Cdn. All wiring from Audio Note

The J/L is chipboard front and back - high grade copper wiring.
The J/Spe Birch ply front and back - silver litz wiring and an upgraded crossover.

The difference in level I now understand - it is basiclaly that when you hear them you are now hearing a totally new level of sound to use a euphamism of sorts. "A whole other level like triple A ball to the Majors - this level you can hit the curve ball which is why you're there and if you can't you're at triple A.

The difference was startling actually because I was extremely skeptical of their level approach. It is noticeable throughout the the range from top to bottome but it was most noticable in the upper midband where a singer would come form the blackness creating more of a 3D effect. The tone in the treble was smoother - and the whole thing sounded less strident.

Now this is only in a side by side comparason because I would take the Cheaper J/L over anything I've heard from the competion up to ~5kUS. So it's no slouch. When you hear J/Spe you can't go back - however. So I didn't want to listen to the higher level and know what I would be missing. Who'd a thunk a bit of better wood some silver would make that big of a difference. So the few who are perspective buyers try if you can to buy the version with the best actual box - you can do the other upgrades later but you can't upgrade the box itself later. I believe the issue is moot because I don't think they sell any current chipboard boxes.

For the B&W owners if you're still reading:
The Meishu amplifier at a mere 8 watts drove the N805 better than I have ever heard that speaker driven - I have used that speaker with Rotel, MF, Bryston Classe and YBA separates(The YBA and Rotel I found the best match and Arcam did a nice job too).

The idea you need mega watts is simply out to lunch - what you need is a real amplifier. If you own these speakers and keep feeling like you need more power to make them sound better and a higher end power amp company --- STOP. What you need is high resolution non-grain adding high fatiguing mess of a ss amp. This is the second time a very low powered tube amp worked wonders with B&W. A Nuvista 11 watt integrated made the 801s sing as well as that speaker has sung for me - though you do need a bit more power to get a high SPL while not getting the amp to run out of gas. Did not try the Meishu with the 801. I was expecting the SET to run out of gas - but on the harder driving of Santana to Albinoni strings to Dianna Krall makes no difference bass was deep and tight with a smooth treble response without the glare but with all the highs. Granted the amp is very expensive(so was the NuVista - interesting made by MF) so are those big SS power amps. Go try out it out - surprised the heck out of me.

06-05-2004, 10:56 AM
did you try the E with high efficiency drivers?
Where do those stand?

benil
06-05-2004, 02:34 PM
thanks RGA for sharing with us your first hand experience comparing the first two AN-J level speakers. :cool: this is something (i.e. A/B comparisons) our AN distributor/dealer cannot offer to its customers here given the very lean demand for expensive stuff in most third world countries. i've only been able to listen to top rate audio gear like audio note from a couple of friends. i swear, though, in the numerous systems i've listened to including DIY, single-driver stuff the AN-E/SPe was the best i've heard and while i haven't heard an AN-J, i have no doubts it will not disappoint.

btw, does this mean you've decided to trade up your AN-Ks for the AN-J/SPes?

RGA
06-06-2004, 04:51 PM
did you try the E with high efficiency drivers?
Where do those stand?

I just didn't have the time to listen to the E's more than in passing. The store's owner moved the top E's into his home and they had the E/XL out in the main room.

I spent about an hour listening to the K then went to the J/Spe then the B&W N805 then the J/L then the J/Spe again - before all of that I listened to a set of Magnepans - used and were model i didn't catch but had a 2 in it.

I will post a review of the day in a bit.

RGA
06-06-2004, 04:59 PM
thanks RGA for sharing with us your first hand experience comparing the first two AN-J level speakers. :cool: this is something (i.e. A/B comparisons) our AN distributor/dealer cannot offer to its customers here given the very lean demand for expensive stuff in most third world countries. i've only been able to listen to top rate audio gear like audio note from a couple of friends. i swear, though, in the numerous systems i've listened to including DIY, single-driver stuff the AN-E/SPe was the best i've heard and while i haven't heard an AN-J, i have no doubts it will not disappoint.

btw, does this mean you've decided to trade up your AN-Ks for the AN-J/SPes?

It took about 1 minute of one track to know that the J was on another level over the K. I went in thinking well if it's just bass I'll mainly notice I would rather go with a sub - but because the cabinet is larger the J had a more open sound and far superior front to back depth - the timbre was very similar as a good house sound should have but the J/Spe was perhaps the best speaker in the store that day - since that Day the top E model was at the store owners house - he bought them - and brings them in now and again to to show.