Cleaning a picture tube [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a picture tube

yakkosmurf
12-01-2003, 06:34 AM
What does everyone recommend for cleaning the front of a Sony Wega? I've got the 40" variety, and my co-worker has a 32". We wondering if regular glass cleaner can harm the tube, and if so, what to use instead.

woodman
12-01-2003, 05:04 PM
For cleaning any direct-view CRT, a glass cleaner such as Windex will NOT harm the tube in any way. Anyone that tells you differently simply doesn't know what they're talking about. Clean away and don't worry about it.

dweazil
12-02-2003, 06:30 AM
I use a damp (good old H2O) micro-fiber towel followed by a dry micro-fiber towel. No streaks!

lincoln
12-02-2003, 07:53 AM
I've been using windex to clean my crts for my entire adult life with no ill effects. I have a 40" Sony and it gets cleaned once or twice a week with windex. I woory more about getting the windex on the walnut top that the TV sits on :)

yakkosmurf
12-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been using a foam glass cleaner for a year now on my TV with no ill effects. My co-worker had heard otherwise and raised the question. So, I figured I'd ask.

Woochifer
12-02-2003, 12:47 PM
The only caveat I would add is to avoid spraying any liquid directly onto the screen. Spray onto the washcloth first! Leakage can seep onto some of the electronics around the tube. It happened to my brother-in-law -- his 3-year old decided she wanted to help her mom clean around the house. So, she broke out the Windex and proceeded to spray onto the TV tube. Of course, she used a lot more than her dad normally did, and a lot of it dripped onto a circuit board and shorted it out. Ended up with about a $300 repair job.

rustyzipp
12-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Rain-X has/is an excellent glass cleaner. I use it on my PC monitor as well.

yakkosmurf
12-08-2003, 06:42 AM
All very good advice. I'll have to try the Rain-X next time I clean the screen.