wattage of smaller advent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wattage of smaller advent

JeffBrecklin
06-03-2004, 04:43 PM
hi does anyone know the wattage that the smaller advents can handle up too it doesnt say anywere on them

thanx for replying

This Guy
06-03-2004, 05:13 PM
They're from the 60's or 70's right? I'd say around 40-50 watts rms. You can connect them to a higher powered amp, just turn it down when you hear them stressing.

-Joey

JeffBrecklin
06-03-2004, 05:32 PM
thanx i had them on my 100 watt per channel receiver and they sound fine

Geoffcin
06-03-2004, 06:04 PM
thanx i had them on my 100 watt per channel receiver and they sound fine

I had the larger Advents hooked up to a very powerful receiver (160wpc), and it was the receiver that finally quit. A more powerful amp is actually BETTER for speakers, as less likely to clip, and that is the real speaker killer.

hifitommy
06-06-2004, 12:01 PM
more power is better. more speakers have been blown up with underpowered recievers than super powered amps.

of course, you must turn down the gain while making any switching maneuver and power down the power amp first, then the preamp before disconnecting or connecting any component. then power up the preamp first before powering the amp. thats the safest sequence.

wattage ratings are quite misunderstood in audio and many times inflated and misused by unethical or ignorant sales people. serious makers recommend MINIMUM power, not max.

JeffBrecklin
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Well blew the advents up im getting them fixed though