Help Expanding Budget System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Expanding Budget System

Apostle
06-03-2004, 03:12 AM
I've decided to expand my HT collection to complete my speaker collection, however My speakers are Cresta 3's which are now discontinued I think the new ones are called Cresta 30's or something. This presents me with a problem as I wish to have a set which matches well acoustically. I'm currently trying to acquire the matching centre speaker second hand but dont know what to do about the surround speakers. Any advice for something that will match will be greatly appreciated. I'd also like a subwoofer but was disappointed by the review of the recommended matching sub. I don't know much about subwoofers and how they match etc, so once again any advice is certainly appreciated, TIA.

Receiver: Marantz SR4300
Speakers: Kef Cresta 3's
DVD: Toshiba SD210e

IRG
06-03-2004, 09:00 AM
I've decided to expand my HT collection to complete my speaker collection, however My speakers are Cresta 3's which are now discontinued I think the new ones are called Cresta 30's or something. This presents me with a problem as I wish to have a set which matches well acoustically. I'm currently trying to acquire the matching centre speaker second hand but dont know what to do about the surround speakers. Any advice for something that will match will be greatly appreciated. I'd also like a subwoofer but was disappointed by the review of the recommended matching sub. I don't know much about subwoofers and how they match etc, so once again any advice is certainly appreciated, TIA.

Receiver: Marantz SR4300
Speakers: Kef Cresta 3's
DVD: Toshiba SD210e

There are other "experts" here, and in fact is has been a long time since I have been on this site, but here is what I would recommend. The front 3 speakers ideally, should be matched, IMO. Ironically I haven't done this for myself, but when I upgrade speakers I will. So if you plan on keeping the Cresta 3s, then I would agree with you about finding the matching center speaker. If you can't, try and find another brand that is similar in design, specs and size. For example, I believe the Cresta was a 5 1/2 speaker with silk dome tweeter, not terribly efficient, but not inefficient either. Look for something similar, like a Mission speaker, that would have the same basic design parameters. Using a horn speaker, like a Klipsch wouldn't be the best match. However, I think it is more important than matching, that the center speaker be of good quality because it does handle most of the dialogue, and a lot of effects as well. You might be better off with a non matching speaker that is of better quality, than a matching speaker that doesn't do vocals well. I'm not saying the Cresta center is poor, but I really don't know. See if there are any reviews anywhere.

As for the surrounds, I don't think it matters much at all if they match, especially for HT. If you are into SACD or 5/6 channel music, then maybe, but otherwise, the above advice would apply; look for speakers similar to the Cresta design. Or look for a used pair of Cresta 1 or 2s.

The other option, and it is more expensive, is to use the Cresta 3s as your surround, and find a set of matching 3 speakers for the front that are new. SOmething like the B&W DM 303 might be a good match. Not terribly expensive, but good quality. And then you could get your center and front speakers all at once to match. Food for thought.

Apostle
06-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Certainly useful cheers, I was worried about the rears but if it isnt incredibly important, the system is only for Film and the occasional music CD. Next problem is the sub.

JStudrawa
06-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Your sub does not have to "match", since your sub carries no tonal signature that you will/should notice. Nothing pans left to right to sub, it's a mono LFE channel only..

Basically, find a sub you like and add it. Given a certain room size/dimension, placement of the sub in reference to walls/corners will be your largest concern.

Apostle
06-04-2004, 05:25 AM
I'll be moving soon so I think I'll wait til I know room dimensions before I buy a sub. Cheers once again :)