Transatlantic Tuesday Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Transatlantic Tuesday Thread

Dave_G
06-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Well I waited long enough, I will start this thing, will you post?

My listens:

Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
Kansas - Masque and Point of Know Return
UFO - You are Hear
Arena - Immortal
Who - Live at Leeds (MFSL cd)(excellent, only recently got this)
Men Without Hats - a 2 into 1 cdr copy of an Oglio release, great stuff
XTC - Drums and Wireless - good
PIL - That what is Not - weird stuff but good too
Bunny Wailer sings the Wailers - oh this is a lovely album, ya mon.

Dave

Jim Clark
06-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I love Men Without Hats (can lead to skin cancer though). Tell me more about your disc please. I don't pay much attention to labels. Maybe a trade is in order? I have a bootleg concert with pretty clean recording. Or maybe not.

I jammed with:
Joe Strummer-Streetcore. Without this recording my best of 2003 list was completely and inexcusably out of whack.

That little comp I just posted about.

Wheat

Massive Attack-Mezannine-probably spelled incorrectly but it's a great album that I listened to once and for some reason relegated to rack to collect dust.

CRSV9

Hot Hot Heat

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs

The Vibrators

Gave Super Furry Animals another chance-to Beach Boys-ee for me to really like (or something like that). Couple of cool tracks though.

Franz Fredinand

The Wrens

Siouxsie

Seal

B.A.D.

Ridgeway-but not the new one-still haven't summoned the nerve to plunk down that cash just yet. Imagine that I will at some point.

jc

tentoze
06-02-2004, 02:08 PM

My listens:

Flower Kings - Stardust We Are
Kansas - Masque and Point of Know Return
UFO - You are Hear
Arena - Immortal
Who - Live at Leeds (MFSL cd)(excellent, only recently got this)
Men Without Hats - a 2 into 1 cdr copy of an Oglio release, great stuff
XTC - Drums and Wireless - good
PIL - That what is Not - weird stuff but good too
Bunny Wailer sings the Wailers - oh this is a lovely album, ya mon.

Dave
Bunny Sings The Wailers!! How come I & I never heard of dat one, mon?

I've played a bunch of stuff, but the only new-to-me disk for the week isSubdudes' Miracle Mule, and it's a killer! Glad these boys got back together after several years absence. It'll give ya happy feet.

Waiting in the wings, just in yesterday is a new Sloshcomp that looks way good, and a coupla demos from JDaniel that I'm looking forward to carving out a coupla hours to spin sometime this wk. A tip o' the hat to both you guys.

skewiff
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
DVD's
All recorded for the German TV show Rockpalast

Thin Lizzy.................1981 112 mins
Roger Chapman '75, '79 and '81 235 mins
Rory Gallagher...........'76, '77 and '79 222mins
Southide Johnny '79 and '92 233 mins

5.1 sound superb, but you have to have a region 2 player I payed about $100.00 for mine to watch everything from England and Japan.

Gomez Split the Difference

Morrissey you are the Quarry Great album

Andy Fairweather-Lowe Complete A&M sessions

Deep Purple Nobody's Perfect

Lots of Soul Music

Tony

Pat D
06-02-2004, 05:49 PM

Dave

Thanks for starting it. I gave up and posted some recordings I liked on the Rave Recordings thread, but that's not a play list!

Beethoven, String Quartets, Op. 18. Lindsay Qt. In ASV CD DCS 305.

Beethoven, Symphony No. 6 (Pastorale). Boult, BBC Symphony Orchestra. On IMP BBC SM95 D

Beethoven, Symphonies nos. 6 and 8. Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD69

We Get Requests. The Oscar Peterson Trio. Verve 810 047-2

Diana Krall, The Girl in the Other Room. Verve VERW33682

Beethoven, Symphony No. 5. Carlos Kleiber, Wiener Philharmoniker. On DG 447 400-2 The recording actually sounds pretty good on my new speakers.

Beethoven, Symphony No. 5. Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. On Chesky CD17 This is better recorded than the Kleiber and the performance is as good, too.

Haydn, Symphonies Nos. 82-84. Marriner, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. On Philips 438 727-2

Mendelssohn, Symphonies Nos. 3 (Scottish) and 4 (Italian), Fingal’s Cave Overture (aka The Hebrides). Dohnanyi, Wiener Philharmoniker. London 417 731-2

Haydn, The Paris Symphonies, Nos. 82-87. Marriner, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. Philips 438 727-2

J. B. Vanhal, Symphonies, vol. 2. Andrew Watkinson, City of London Sinfonia. Naxos 8.554138

Rag Jhinjhoti, Rag Pilu. Imrat Khan, sitar; Vajahat Khan, sarod; Shafaatullah Khan, tabla. Nimbus NI 5195

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Kansas - Point of Know Return

Hey Dave with a thread title like that, I expected that you had spun some Transatlantic this week.

I also listened to Point of Know Return this week. Along with Leftovertures (I need to get me some of those remasters).

It's been such a crazy busy week at work that I haven't had a lot of time for music this week. :(

I did manage to fit in a few comps by my RR friends.

Elf Pee's Mole Removal Machine. I am loving this comp. There is some great stuff on here. Most notably, Twothirtyeight and Blue October immediately stood out as highlights. Great, great stuff that needs some more exploration.

Newtrix's POP!. Another great collection. I don't have the track list handy to name my favourites, but there are only one or two tracks on here that didn't tickle my fancy. Otherwise, great work NT.

Mr. Midfi's Besides. Still one of my alltime favourite RR comps. Hubby really enjoys this one too. We're often stealing it out of each other's cars. Maybe I should just make another copy. Hmmmmm. Now there's a good idea. :)

JDaniels Live in the X Lounge. JD and I may disagree on a lot of music. But this one is a winner all 'round. A yummy collection of acoustic goodies.

My own Blue Rodeo collection, Singin' the Blue and Rockin' the Rodeo. I just bought tickets for the August 26 concert here. So, I felt the need to start warming up for it. I used to see them a few times a year for free just as their first album was being released. So, when they gained popularity, I had a hard time actually paying for a ticket. It's been about 16 years since I've seen them live (not counting the three songs they performed at the Rolling Stones SARSfest last summer, where I really didn't see them given that I was about 1.5Km from the stage) and I decided that I was long overdue. $80 a ticket for this show :eek: . They've come a long way, baby.

Dave_G
06-03-2004, 05:37 AM
ForeverA - I wondered of anyone would think the title was associated with the not so famous band Transatlantic. I just pulled it out of my keeschter. I did not listen to either of their 2 albums.

Also, it's "Leftoverture", not "Leftovertures". That toon "What's on my Mind" really is the cats meow. If you like that album you will really enjoy the remaster.

tentoze - Yes, Bunny Wailer sings the Wailers. It's excellent old school Bunny. He sings real old school Wailers toons, 10 songs, if you need a fix of this let me know.

Jim Clark - PM me to discuss a trade, yes, I'm real interested in StreetCore.

skewiff - how is that thin lizzy?

Dave

ForeverAutumn
06-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Also, it's "Leftoverture", not "Leftovertures". That toon "What's on my Mind" really is the cats meow. If you like that album you will really enjoy the remaster. Dave

If I buy the remaster and, therefore, own two copies...then will it be Leftovertures? ;)

newtrix1
06-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Gomez: Split the Difference
Kanye West: The College Dropout
Black Sabbath: best of
A3: Exile on Coldharbor Lane
The Wrens: Meadowlands
The Twilight Singers: Blackberry Belle
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Yes: Keystudio (not as enthralled as 3-LB, but I do like it)

comps:
CRSv9
70 retro comps - DLD
75 retro - Troy (how did you make this thing?!)
Still Dead - Slosh