website based dealers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : website based dealers

tomer.z
06-02-2004, 12:47 PM
hi
i would like to get the yamaha reciever rx-v650. if getting it from website based dealers i can save about 100$. money is big issue for me (student).
are there any dealers you would reccomend? i'm concidering etronics or bestbuyplasma.
thanks
tom

topspeed
06-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Irregardless of who you chose, I'd make sure they are an authorized Yamaha dealer. If they aren't, you can toss your warranty right out the window. Sure, you may save a few dollars with an unauthorized dealer, but how much will it cost you if you have to send the unit in for repairs? Check out Yammies website, they should have links to dealers.

Good luck.

Woochifer
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
None of Yamaha's RX-V series receivers are authorized for mail order sales. They are only available through authorized dealers. As topspeed pointed out, you may save a few bucks by going mail order, but you lose the warranty in the process. From what I understand, Yamaha has very strict service policies and their service centers will not work on an unauthorized unit even if you offer to pay for repairs. So, it comes down to risk and reward if you go with those vendors. Yamaha is one of the better companies when it comes to reliability, but they aren't infallible either.

If money's a concern, I suggest you look for a closeout unit (any remaining RX-Vx40 models should be available for at least $200 off), or try negotiating with an authorized dealer, or get the model that's more within your price range.

Bryan
06-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Or, I believe, the HTR-5790 is the same model sold at your local Best Buy.

kexodusc
06-03-2004, 06:18 AM
You can order the HTR-5760 from etailelectronics.com or J&R.com or somewhere. It's essentially the same as the RX-V650, but would include the warranty.
I personally know of an RX-V line receiver that was replaced under warranty without question by etronics.com. We had a little scare for awhile but they were quite accomadating, and are NOT an authorized Yamaha dealer.
That being said, I highly doubt everyone is as lucky, the HTR equivalent receiver is probably your best, safest option.

tomer.z
06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
hi
thank you very much for your help
well' my situation is much more complictaed than what i noted.
i live outside of the country and in my country because of taxes issues these recievers cost nearly twices much. i've spoken with yamaha and they told me that if i take the unit outside of the country my warrenty is lost right away. if i would like to enjoy the warrenty i'll have to bring it back to the states. that's why its not about few bucks but much much more. the question is then if website based dealers ususally supply the same quality recieveres i would get at authorized dealer.
thanks again
tom

kexodusc
06-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Quality is the same, in fact, the parts are the same, with the exception of the cosmetic chassis. Just make sure it has the same features you need. The 5760 and 650 models are identical from what I've seen. They're retail prices are the same.
I would suggest buying from a location that offers extended warranties that are honored outside the USA, or at least will mail you your receiver back at your expense.
But consider this, if you are approaching price levels of your home country, it's worth it for you to buy from an authorized dealer.