yamaha rx-v650 vs pioneer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : yamaha rx-v650 vs pioneer

tomer.z
06-02-2004, 12:36 PM
hi
i'm debating between the rx-v650 and any type of pioneer up to 400$.
some dealers told me that the stereo sound of yamaha is not that great. is it true?
i'll be using klipsch rf 15.
thanks
tom

woodman
06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
hi
some dealers told me that the stereo sound of yamaha is not that great. is it true?
thanks
tom

What you were told by "some dealers" was total, sheer nonsense! Not a shred of truth to it at all. Furthermore, Yamaha is the absolute KING of reliability in electronic products. To add even more flame to this particular fire, the Yamaha RX-V650 comes with probably the most useful and beneficial "feature" that's been brought to the receiver market in the last 40 years! It's called the YPAO, which in laymen's terms means the ability of the receiver to compensate for the many different acoustical "problems" that exist in every listening room that's setup for either movie watching or for music listening! It tests (at the prime listening position) for frequency response anomalies - whether caused by room response or by speakers themselves, and provides compensation of a parametric equalizer to "even things out". This feature alone makes your decision an absolute "no-brainer" IMO.

Hope this helps you

IRG
06-03-2004, 09:19 AM
What you were told by "some dealers" was total, sheer nonsense! Not a shred of truth to it at all. Furthermore, Yamaha is the absolute KING of reliability in electronic products. To add even more flame to this particular fire, the Yamaha RX-V650 comes with probably the most useful and beneficial "feature" that's been brought to the receiver market in the last 40 years! It's called the YPAO, which in laymen's terms means the ability of the receiver to compensate for the many different acoustical "problems" that exist in every listening room that's setup for either movie watching or for music listening! It tests (at the prime listening position) for frequency response anomalies - whether caused by room response or by speakers themselves, and provides compensation of a parametric equalizer to "even things out". This feature alone makes your decision an absolute "no-brainer" IMO.

Hope this helps you

Woodman,
The Pioneer 914 model something, also has this feature of analyzing your room using a mic. Technology might not be identical, but overall, same concept I believe. I am not saying the Pioneer is better, in fact I too would get the Yamaha over the Pioneer, but not by much. Especially since this top Pioneer (non Elite) model can be found for under $300 on ebay or other places. But Yamaha does make good stuff, and for the price, I would go that route too. As far as I know, they are the only 2 receivers that have the YPAO feature in budget minded models.

Monstrous Mike
06-04-2004, 08:00 AM
hi
thanks
tom
IMHO, when you are looking at receivers in this price range, the competition between Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc. is pretty tight and I think that decisions for HT receivers like these would be based on the features of the receiver and any bargains you might find.

I own the Yamaha RX-V800 which I purchased based slightly on the sale price I got plus some features like component video switching and a learning remote. When salesmen say things like Yamaha doesn't sound that great, I am very skeptical since usually there is a motive behind such statements like they have a glut of receivers of another particular brand that they are trying to push out the door.

nick4433
06-04-2004, 11:18 AM
I haven't given any kind of advise lately for receivers but I will venture out on this one. Both of the receivers you mentioned are good receivers no doubt. Many here will say that the Yammy is built like a tank which is fine but the other receivers in the market are not that shabby either.
Both the receivers offer some kind of room correction and I have extensively tested the YPAO and the Pioneer feature. IMHO, the Pioneer (912) offered slightly faster and improvised processing than the Yammy 1400 I tested especially in the rear soundstage.
The Pioneer was also exceptionally terriffic for 2 channel music particularly at that price point.
Now please kep in mind that I used both those receivers strictly as prepros and not as receivers. The older Pioneer when tested by S&V did pretty well in lab tests with all channels driven.
Finally, I'd advise you to go to a Best Buy and buy both the receivers to do a side-by-side comparison and judge for yourself.