NP: Les Savy Fav - Inches [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NP: Les Savy Fav - Inches

Ex Lion Tamer
06-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Facking brilliant! Got this "preview" edition along with other goodies from the SLOSHmeister and am really liking it. The first 5 or 6 songs are a non-stop aural assault. It does bog down, just a little in the middle, but is soon firing on all cylinders again. They don't sound quite like anyone else in my record collection, so I don't know to whom I should compare them. I do get a bit of a Dismemberment Plan vibe at times, but much harded edged in general. I was reminded of the little I've heard from At The Drive-In, and maybe there's a bit of a Fugazi influence, but the vocals are not as shouty. Take all of these with a grain of salt. Thanks Slosh, I'll getting a legit copy very soon, hopefully on vinyl :) .

Anybody Know how the name is pronounced? is it Less (as in Les Nesman), Savy Fav, or is it Lay (as in the plural of the French le/la), Savy Fav?

So what are you guys NPing?

mad rhetorik
06-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Yesterday I bought a few albums:

In Flames: <b>Colony</b>
This band is totally synonymous with the Gothenburg (Sweden) melodic death scene. I was really looking for their last great release before they went nu-metal, <b>Clayman</b>, but I couldn't find it and this album looked like it needed a home so I bought it. Overall pretty excellent--the lead guitar harmonies and song structures remind me a lot of Iron Maiden. The vocals alternate between raspy screams and clean singing/spoken word. I have a feeling "Embody The Invisible" and "Behind Space '99" are both going to be comped by me sometime down the line.

The Jam: <b>This Is The Modern World/All Mod Cons</b>
Two, 2 albums in one! This is my first taste of The Jam. I listened to the <b>Modern World</b> side last night and while I thought it was above average (lyrics in particular were great) it hasn't really hooked me just yet. I was expecting it to be more "punkish," I think. Kinda reminds me of The Kinks, in some ways (which I guess is appropriate, since they cover "David Watts" on <b>All Mod Cons</b>).

Portishead: <b>Dummy</b>
I had a burned copy of this album lying around at some point (along with an In Flames comp) but somehow I lost them both. I dig Portishead now, so this was a logical purchase. Beth Gibbons' beautiful voice gives me chills.

Allman Brothers: <b>Beginnings</b>
This is another one of those two albums/one CD deals (I love modern technology), this time bundling their self-titled debut with <b>Idlewild South</b>. Without a doubt their two best studio albums. Gregg and Duane Allman, Dickey Betts. 'Nuff said.

I should probably look into that Les Savy Fav. Judging by your description they sound like my kind of band.

nobody
06-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Is that Jam the 2 on 1 Mofi disc? Personally, I love that thing, but to each his own.

Just a by the way on the Portishead...the singer's name is Beth Gibbons. Beth Orton is another chick. If you really like Gibbons's voice, you may wanna check out her solo album. It's really nice. The mood is still kinda meloncholy and all that, but the instrumentation is totally different, getting away from the electronics and using acoustic stuff. It's a collaboration with Rustin Man called Out of Season.

My NPing would be ...

<b>Sam Cooke</b> Greatest Hits
Such a great voice, such great songs. These days, he seems to get little of the attention he once garnered, but it's all there. If you like old r&b, something from Sam Cooke is absolutely essential. You Send Me, I Love You for Sentimental Reasons, Cupid, Frankie and Johnny and more. I actually used to have an older greatest hits disc that had a little more on it, but it's out of print now. Really, you can't go wrong with anything by him, although I don't understand how they left Another Saturday Night off the Greatest Hits I'm listening to now..

Ex Lion Tamer
06-02-2004, 09:58 AM
The Jam: <b>This Is The Modern World/All Mod Cons</b>
Two, 2 albums in one! This is my first taste of The Jam. I listened to the <b>Modern World</b> side last night and while I thought it was above average (lyrics in particular were great) it hasn't really hooked me just yet. I was expecting it to be more "punkish," I think. Kinda reminds me of The Kinks, in some ways (which I guess is appropriate, since they cover "David Watts" on <b>All Mod Cons</b>).

Speaking of brilliant, <b>All Mod Cons</b>, is just that, a much stronger album than This is the Modern World, which is probably The Jam's weakest effort. Weller's songwriting is at its peak, a lofty one indeed, especially when you take into account his age at the time (21, I think). The last two songs A Bomb in Wardour Street and Down in the Tube Station at Midnight are amazing, hard pressed to think of two stronger album closing cuts anywhere, by anyone. Still not as punk as you might have been led to believe, but wonderful little Kinksesque vignettes of British (working class?) society in the late '70s. For a picture of The Jam at their punkiest, you have to go back to the first album; In The City.

NP: The Soft Boys - A Can of Bees

Stone
06-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Anybody Know how the name is pronounced? is it Less (as in Les Nesman), Savy Fav, or is it Lay (as in the plural of the French le/la), Savy Fav?

So what are you guys NPing?

Yeah, I have this but I've only listened once. At the beginning of one of their albums, they say their name, which is pronounced lay sä'vee fäv.

Now playing nothing - I can't listen to music at work. On the way in I listened to the latest Sarah Harmer, which is pretty disappointing. Last night I was jamming to Big Black - Songs About Fu<a>cking</i>. Now there's an album.

mad rhetorik
06-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Big Black - Songs About Fu<a>cking</i>. Now there's an album.

Worth owning for the title alone. ; P

Probably Steve Albini's best band (though what I've heard of Shellac is pretty good too). I have a comp of Big Black songs somebody gave me a while ago. Harsh and brutal, sounds like sheets of metal slowly being torn apart. Definitely cool. My favorite Big Black song is probably "Kerosene." <i>"Gonna set myself on FIRE!!!</i>

Slosh
06-02-2004, 03:41 PM
They don't sound quite like anyone else in my record collection, so I don't know to whom I should compare them.

To me they sound 80s melodic punky ala The Feelies and/or The Violent Femmes blended with a heavier 90s-ish hardcore punk sound ala Fugazi.

I'll be getting a legit copy very soon, hopefully on vinyl :) .

Well, if you manage to track down all nine 7"s you can. AFAIK there is no LP version, but what do I know? :) Probably won't make much difference since I believe they record all of their base tracks on a Mini Disc recorder so it's not even CD quality to start with anyway (still sounds OK, though)

Anybody Know how the name is pronounced?

I've been just going with "The Fav". ;)

NP: Jar's Punisher

Also been spinning his When The Sunshine Fades Away and Trickster's Pop! and tentoze's very fine Poll This! comps a lot in recent days. Must have listened to the new McLusky about a dozen times by now and it keeps getting better!