Speaker placement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement

RobertKruz
06-02-2004, 07:55 AM
I just recently bought a pair of KEF Q7 for my room and am having some problems with placing. I have no choice but to put them in the corner to either side of my TV. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the most out of my speakers. My room is pretty much a rectangle and I would be listening mostly for a chair that is about 5 feet from the tv.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xTV
x
x
x Chair
x
x
x

In the store from which I bought the speakers they had this black panels on the walls around the room and I was wondering what exactly these do and if that could be an option I should look into.

Thanks

Resident Loser
06-02-2004, 08:44 AM
...loudspeakers should form an equilateral triangle with your head at the apex. Sitting too close to one speaker will skew the stereo effect, which can be corrected with your recievers' balance control(if you have one)...however, this is less than optimal. While you may adjust for the inter-speaker volume difference in this manner, it can affect what is termed the "soundstage"...some loudspeakers(by design) require you to sit in the "sweet spot" for the best stereo imaging...it has to do with driver directionality, volume and other psychoacoustic gobbledegook...The loudspeakers' proximity to room corners may boost bass response in unwanted ways...unfortunately, hi-fi and interior decorating are usually at odds with each other.

Your owners manual should give some indication of room placement, so I suggest you start with that. Unfortunately KEF seems to be one of those manufacturers whose website leaves something to be desired, such as accessing manuals via PDF...so I'm in the dark with their particular recs and can only offer these broadest of guidelines.

Your installation parameters would seem to leave you with the "trial and error" methodology...just try to keep each loudspeaker in an evironment or position or whatever term might apply that is similar in nature...simple things like "toe-in" or "toe-out" can dramatically affect the sound percieved, particularly if applied to only one unit.

Insofar as the "black panels" are concerned, they may be wall treatments as dictated by the size and shape of their demo room or they simply might be there for decorative effect...you could ask...I'd try jockeying them around first, before worrying about need for room treatments...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

RobertKruz
06-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will definetly start moving my speakers around and see how that effects the sound. One question though. What do you mean by toe-in, toe-out?

Robert

Resident Loser
06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
...your speakers would be along the same wall with both front faces (baffles) parallel to the wall surface radiating perpendicularly outward. Now recall my triangle, if you face or angle in those baffles toward your ideal listening position(the apex of that triangle) that's "toe-in", facing them away would be "toe-out"...and my apologies. Sometimes you forget there are terms and jargon some folks aren't familiar with...

jimHJJ(...you're welcome...good listening...)

[