HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter

RobertKruz
06-02-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm thinking of ordering a HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter online for about $150 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I recently invest about $3100 in a system (Cdn $) and wanted to protect it. I notice my amp starts to hum a little if someone plugs in a hairdryer into the plug in I use for my system (Its all in my room). As well my amp recently went into protection mode and the warning light was because of DC detection. Would something like the Monster powercenter help for this? And is filtering really worth it or just more stereo hype?

Thanks

BrandonCM
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
the same thing happens to my child monitor. I get static and no picture but once I tried hooking it up to my HTS 1100, I get a video but I got mine for only $ 159.95 at Sountrack(msrp $199.95) and this has a higher joules (2750 joules) and newer model I think.

RobertKruz
06-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Good to hear you've had a good experience with it. I'll post when I receive mine.

Robert

skeptic
06-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Sloan Kettering is looking into it to see if it will also cure cancer.

Beckman
06-02-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm thinking of ordering a HTS 1000 MKII PowerCenter online for about $150 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I recently invest about $3100 in a system (Cdn $) and wanted to protect it. I notice my amp starts to hum a little if someone plugs in a hairdryer into the plug in I use for my system (Its all in my room). As well my amp recently went into protection mode and the warning light was because of DC detection. Would something like the Monster powercenter help for this? And is filtering really worth it or just more stereo hype?

Thanks

You have a ground loop, please read:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/example_systems.html

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/home_solving.html

Ground loops are very interesting. Ground loops are formed when a device has two paths to ground. To correct this problem simply plug all of your stereo components into one surge protector. This way they will only have one path to ground (antennas, and cable TV might also cause ground loops). Many times people have ground loops and go out and purchase expensive power conditioners and plug all there components into them, suddenly the ground loop is gone. What they don't realize is a $10 surge protector that protects up to $10,000 worth of equipment will do the same thing if you plug all audio components into it. You can not filter out ground loop hums, they occur at 60 Hz. As for filtering the AC, nonsense. The first thing any component does is turn AC to DC.
Good luck.

You can also get isolators for ground loops caused by antennas or cable (for CATV). See:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/antenna_isolator.html

I love ground loops.

BrandonCM
06-02-2004, 06:49 PM
well I just hope that the moment your system get hit by a spike or surge of electricity and get damage, this so called company that sells $10.00 surge would pay for it cause 2 of my friends got hit, one has a computer that after a brown out, power pass through that $10.00 surge protector and damage his computer (Salt Lake City) and was given a run around. fortunately he purchase an extended warranty. the other one was hit by spike( also went through that so called $10.00 surge protector) in FL. and all his system burned. luckily his insurance took over it.
Good Luck!!!!

mtrycraft
06-02-2004, 07:37 PM
well I just hope that the moment your system get hit by a spike or surge of electricity and get damage, this so called company that sells $10.00 surge would pay for it cause 2 of my friends got hit, one has a computer that after a brown out, power pass through that $10.00 surge protector and damage his computer (Salt Lake City) and was given a run around. fortunately he purchase an extended warranty. the other one was hit by spike( also went through that so called $10.00 surge protector) in FL. and all his system burned. luckily his insurance took over it.
Good Luck!!!!

Need a better surge protector :) Consumer Reports tested some in 2000. They liked the Tripp lite isoteck ultra.

Beckman
06-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Good Luck!!!!

How about a $20 surge protector made by Monster, would they pay for damaged goods?:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=3996&dept=3944&product_id=1654299&path=0%3A3944%3A3996%3A3964%3A4483

BrandonCM
06-04-2004, 10:12 AM
sorry guys, didn't mean to offend anyone. my point is just that I myself spend $21000.00 on my system all brand new just last Feb. 04 and I'm not about to take my chance to plug it in a $10.00 nor $20.00 surge protector. its like I didn't heard any difference from a 50ft. monster inwall speaker cable against a 15ft. monster Z series and biwiring a 2 15ft. monster Z series against a a single 15ft. Z. all of this are just extra expense but the feeling of having it makes me feel better.

BrandonCM
06-04-2004, 10:14 AM
just an addition, they look good on my system.

Beckman
06-04-2004, 10:35 AM
sorry guys, didn't mean to offend anyone. my point is just that I myself spend $21000.00 on my system all brand new just last Feb. 04 and I'm not about to take my chance to plug it in a $10.00 nor $20.00 surge protector. its like I didn't heard any difference from a 50ft. monster inwall speaker cable against a 15ft. monster Z series and biwiring a 2 15ft. monster Z series against a a single 15ft. Z. all of this are just extra expense but the feeling of having it makes me feel better.

I guess that's reasonable. $21000 stereo, $200 power strip. I would probably do the same thing.

BrandonCM
06-04-2004, 02:51 PM
yeah Beck, I work my butt to get this stuff and believe me I got every single item from monster banana tips, Z cables to speakers, to projector 18-25%. my processor and 7 channel amp cost $3317.00($5700.00) brand new out the door. isn't that great! maybe you could give me some tips some time cause I'm new to processors and amps ( I use to have recievers, Yam 2090, Den 5800 and last one was Pioneer Elite 49TX w/c I sold w/ our house). the Yam Z9 or Den 5803 are more money even if I get 20% off.
thanks.